Remove Travel Power Restrictions from Grounded

37 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

Pretty much every encounter ever.  I don't know if I'm ever in a combat where I don't jump at least once - into the spawn or around the spawn to get into a better position for a cone/aoe/etc. Or when fighting and traveling through caves, Freakshow office maps, or any map with stuff on the floor that's easier to jump over than run around.

Do you normally never leave the ground during play? 

I don't know what that "state of the team" thing is supposed to mean... if I'm getting knocked down I don't look around and sigh in relief "at least I'm the only one". It still means I can't fight or heal or taunt or something.

But personally I would put a KB IO into Fly since its speed can't be enhanced anyway and not worry about it.

On my elec armor characters, I occasionally do get KB'ed when I do jump around which only reminds me that KB doesn't work in those instances...but it's such a rare occurrence, I am constantly *re-reminded* when it does happen.

Or to word it more plainly, it's not common to be KB while jumping.  For one, the foe has to be using a power on you that triggers KB, two it has to actually land and three it has to be timed to trigger for the duration you've left the ground...i.e. if the target uses a KB attack and I jump, it would calculate I had KB protection...if I am landing and they trigger the KB attack I will fall down.

The "state of the team" tends to revolve around effects your teammates provide.  To put a bit of perspective on you, being Knocked down doesn't = defeat.  You can be knocked down for a second or so and *gasp*...your game doesn't end or you're not dead.  If a situation occurs that you died while knocked back, it probably wasn't due to the knockback since that would put you on the ground in the first place.

• Like 2

It seems like the "how often are you off the ground though?" camp has never run missions in caves, where all the geometric oddities make the game think you're off the ground way more often than you actually are. Building for extra knockback protection can be done, sure, but that brings up two problems: if you build for additional knockback protection for while you're not on the ground, it will be redundant while you are on the ground, and you're now spending three or four slots on knockback protection that only a few other sets have to deal with (except theirs isn't made redundant by whether they happen to be on the ground or not). Or maybe you get Acrobatics, but that still means you need another 1 or 2 -KB IOs to match the protection you're getting from Grounded, and you have to invest three power picks to get there. That might be fine in later builds, but early on you're getting Grounded at level 16 (8 on a Tanker) and you don't have the power picks to devote to Acrobatics unless you want to seriously skimp on your primary and secondary.

• Like 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

2 minutes ago, macskull said:

It seems like the "how often are you off the ground though?" camp has never run missions in caves, where all the geometric oddities make the game think you're off the ground way more often than you actually are.

I have run cave missions with Grounded.  Your issues are mostly exaggerated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:45 PM, Naraka said:

On my elec armor characters, I occasionally do get KB'ed when I do jump around which only reminds me that KB doesn't work in those instances...but it's such a rare occurrence, I am constantly *re-reminded* when it does happen.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:48 PM, macskull said:

It seems like the "how often are you off the ground though?" camp has never run missions in caves, where all the geometric oddities make the game think you're off the ground way more often than you actually are.

I don't have an Electric Armor toon right now, used to main a SS/Elec Brute. I frequently duo with me on my Shield/Earth tank and a pal on their Elec/DB tank. For whatever reason, their favorite thing to do is run Dark Astoria missions to fight Talons of Vengeance.

Talons:

1. Tend to be in caves
  2. Have lots of kb/kd powers
  3. have encounters in the big rooms and in elevation-changing tunnels

My buddy has superspeed and combat jumping and no anti-KB outside Grounded. He'll get knocked down at least once per mission either while fighting in the slanty caves or while jumping around in a big room.  I keep telling him to put an IO in one of the travel powers but he prefers speed.

For clarity: I'm not arguing for changing Electric Armor or Grounded. But depending on how you play the KB problem can happen frequently. But still not as frequently as Dark or Fire armor.

FWIW, I am giving a Staff/Electric Armor Brute a try.  You can see my build for it here.  I have to say though that needing to slot three knockback protection IOs feels really, really dumb and redundant.  That’s 27 points of knockback protection on the ground, and takes up two enhancement slots that can be used elsewhere.