Base Secret Entrance Portal

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I was editing a base and suddenly the Secret Entrance portal changed orientation to be vertical instead of it's normal horizontal position on the ground. Normally this portal can't be tilted, so I'm not sure what I did to cause this to happen. I wish I had taken a screenshot of this, I reversed the changes already and it's back to normal now. 😢😫

Does anyone have any experience with changing the orientation of the Secret entrance portal?

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

5 hours ago, Six Six said:

you may have pressed an Fn key (I forget which one) that aligns an object to a surface. Sometimes when it's like that objects will turn sideways when you get too near a wall or vertical surface.

The entrance portal cannot have the alignment changed.

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

The entrance portal cannot have the alignment changed.

I'd say the same thing, but I definitely saw the portal in a vertical position. At the time, I had checked to see if it was still usable with the /stuck command, and it still functioned without trapping the player. For some reason I can't reproduce the scenario that caused the portal to change position though.

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

• Community Rep

I've done that several times by accident. There is a bug in the editor (when is there NOT a bug in the editor...) which will transfer the change you made on the object you just handled, and put it on the next object, even if that object is the base portal. Normally, you cannot change the attachment of the portal, and if the attachment has been changed by the bug, you STILL cannot change the attachment of the object, but if you want the orientation to be surface, play around with making other objects (especially ones that are normally "floor") attach to "surface", and then immediately go move the portal and see if it's now on "surface". Doesn't always take, but generally you can get it if you try a few times.

-Dacy

• Thanks 1

• Community Rep

So. I went into an editor to see what I could finagle. Could the entryway be changed in such a way so that perhaps you didn't have to have that big blue column?  Short answer: no. It can be manipulated, yes. You can stick that sucker on the wall. You can stick it on the ceiling. You can stick it so that the bulk of it is behind a wall, and as long as the base is clear of the wall in the southern direction, and the entire base portal is above the floor, you come out in front of the wall...in edit mode. Once you exit edit mode, you just get stuck. If you stick it on a wall, you will be stuck in that wall. If you stick it on the ceiling, you will appear above it...but so will the column. No gain there, likely much increased likelihood of triggering the "stuck in the column" bug, too. But yes, I got it to stick on the wall in my first try. Interestingly enough, even leaving edit mode, it still stayed in "surface" attachment. Experience tells me that once the base resets, it will go back to "Floor" mode, tho. 🙂

screenshot_200630-16-54-31.thumb.jpg.dcb5d9fcf3e29727b85cdb2160e5bb8c.jpg

-Dacy

• Thanks 2

Thanks again Dacy for testing this. I was able to change the attachment of the portal again to surface, but it seems that the "stuck in column" bug occurs and the player becomes trapped. It's a damn shame too. For a second I thought I'd be able to hide the awful secret entrance.

screenshot_200630-18-38-07.jpg

• Like 1