Patch Notes for June 30th, 2020

On my system (Debian GNU/Linux, booting with Island Rum), the game does not boot anymore since today. What happened:

1. I still had Island Rum running. I clicked the "play" button and it launched. When trying to connect to Reunion, the game informed me that I had the wrong version.
  2. I closed Island Rum and restarted it. It downloaded things, then closed without any messages.
  3. I started Island Rum again. Same thing.
  4. I tried a few more times, not sure how many.
  5. At some point it no longer opened a window, but instead gave me a message in the console:

Set current directory to /home/shevek/homecoming/Island Rum
Found path: /home/shevek/homecoming/Island Rum/Island Rum.x86_64
no boot config - using default values
(Filename:  Line: 479)

Originally I had to create /usr/local/games/coh and chown it to my user. That's where the game is installed. It looks like it no longer searches there?

How do I get it working again?

Update: apparently there was a directory of Island Rum inside the Island Rum directory, with another copy of it. I have no idea why, but when starting that copy, it also updated, but then it launched normally and I could log in again. No idea what happened, and possibly it's still something that needs fixing, but at least I have things working.

Edited by wijnen
The main problem was solved.

Twilight Grasp power (Dark Miasma and Darkness Affinity) is still broken. If you use power customization that is not the original uncolorable choice, there is no audiovisual indication that the power hit at all, and it acts as if it missed. The power lacks the big green effect on you and allies indicating a heal, and doesn't play the satisfying sound of healing that it should. It's been a bug ever since the patch which tweaked Twilight Grasp to go off of individual AT scaling, as opposed to going off of Defender scaling in all its iterations, and it's been annoying ever since, in middle of a fight it's impossible to tell if your heal worked or not.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, ac9999 said:

Devs fix the lag.

What lag?

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

10 minutes ago, ac9999 said:

The lag that didn't exist before the new year? The lag that is causing me to teleport 5-6 seconds backwards every 5-6 seconds?

To be fair, there is quite a bit of rubberbanding that happens, routinely.

Now, much of this is due to internet traffic, server load, bandwidth, etc... NOT specifically the game.

When I play at odd hours, there's no lag.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ac9999 said:

The lag that didn't exist before the new year? The lag that is causing me to teleport 5-6 seconds backwards every 5-6 seconds?

Not sure what hardware or ISP service you have, but from my experience, I rarely have lag or rubber banding. It could be local to you, not necessarily a server/bandwidth/game issue.  

2 hours ago, knighthawk515 said:

Not sure what hardware or ISP service you have, but from my experience, I rarely have lag or rubber banding. It could be local to you, not necessarily a server/bandwidth/game issue.  

I know it might not seem helpful, but I agree with Knighthawk and SwitchFade.  I am in Europe playing on a US server and I don't experience rubber-banding, which would lead me to believe it's not on the server end.

• Like 1

I also haven't noticed excessive lag.  Mostly it's reduced frame rate during zone raids.

Occasionally on a Friday or Saturday night I'll see a few lag spikes, but I chalk that up to increased demand on bandwidth in my apartment complex thanks to everyone streaming instead of going out to party.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:55 PM, wijnen said:

Update: apparently there was a directory of Island Rum inside the Island Rum directory, with another copy of it. I have no idea why, but when starting that copy, it also updated, but then it launched normally and I could log in again. No idea what happened, and possibly it's still something that needs fixing, but at least I have things working.

I have a very similar problem.

I started Island Rum, it attempted to update, and then closed. Same thing when I tried again.

When I looked, there was an "Island Rum" folder inside my "Island Rum" folder.

Running the "lower" Island Rum made it update properly. But CoH still doesn't start when I click start.

The problem started sometime in the last week, so I'm not sure if it has to do with the June 30 update.

I also tried reinstalling CoH and a freshly downloaded copy of Island Rum from scratch, but same thing happened.

Using Ubuntu 18 x64

Edited by Islander

I am also having the same problem as @Islander.  Working a week or so ago, then tonight Island Rum tried to download an update (islandrum_linux.zip), and won't play the game.  I downloaded the file manually, placed the nested Island Rum folder where it used to be, ran it and updated the Options to point to my existing CoH install, then let it scan.  When it says Ready, I click Play and get the green check mark, but nothing happens.  After 15 secs or so, the check goes away and it's back to Ready.

Manjaro 20 (Lysia)

Core i7 / 16GB RAM

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

CoH_IR.png\

Edit:  Went to the command line and ran "wine ~/apps/CoH/homecoming.exe" manually, and the game started normally.  Not sure what's wrong, but it appears to be a problem with Island Rum specifically.

Edit 2: The game runs, allows me to log in, but server list is blank -- only one server listed, called UNNAMED. Probably due to some missing wine parameter that IR adds, but since that's hidden, idk what I'm missing.

Edit 3:  I got it working properly.  In the CoH folder I found islandrum.sh, which had an erroneous \ instead of a / in the path.  Once I changed "...CoH/hc-bin64\cityofheroes.exe" to "...CoH/hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe" I was able to run the shell script manually. I can now log in and servers show up correctly.  FYI - if you run Island Rum after making this change manually, it will reverse your changes.

Edited by dinoran
Partial Fix
  • Like 1

It stopped working again for me, but your message helped me fix it. After trying to launch through Island Rum (and failing), it created the islandrum.sh file. I fixed the \ that you mentioned and also added "wine" to the start of the command on the last line.

It still doesn't work through Island Rum, but now running the script makes it start.

Just to be sure, I also made the script read-only. That way, even if I do try to run Island Rum, it won't overwrite it.

Edited by wijnen