Nooby Architect questions

d4verman

Hi all.

I'm "new" as in I just found this place, loved CoX back in the day, but I only had a limited amount of time with the editor before the game was shut down, so I have a few basic questions.

What is the "code" to have a contact or villain use a hero/villain's name in the editor? And how do you color text? 

Also, I was working on a story (which is actually a script for a story I wrote in Star Trek Online when they had a mission editor) converted for CoX and I wondered about having two bosses on one map. I tried it, but one boss who shows up in the middle also showed up at the end near the other boss. Thats probably my mistake,  but I thought I'd ask. The Architect is a little confusing. 

Sorry for the  noob questions, and I appreciate any help

Just use $name

Ask one of the NPCs in the architect area for all their advice to get more code and colors (tip - right click). 🙂

You can have multiple of the same boss appear multiple times on the map or multiple distinct bosses. It is all about the number of bosses a map supports.

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

The Architect is a little confusing, yes. And a little buggy. And sometimes surprising.

Coloring text - highlight the text, right click. All in a menu.  (As well as bold, italic, etc.)

Also, as far as bosses (or anything else) and where they appear - some maps, as I recall, don't actually *have* a front/middle/back, even though you can pick them. Outdoor ones are notorious for this.

Way, way, waaaaay back in the day (like when AE launched) I created a series of guides for it.They're likely woefully out of date now but the basics should still hold up. You should also look at the pinned tips and tricks bit in this forum.

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:43 AM, Greycat said:

The Architect is a little confusing, yes. And a little buggy. And sometimes surprising.

Coloring text - highlight the text, right click. All in a menu.  (As well as bold, italic, etc.)

Also, as far as bosses (or anything else) and where they appear - some maps, as I recall, don't actually *have* a front/middle/back, even though you can pick them. Outdoor ones are notorious for this.

Way, way, waaaaay back in the day (like when AE launched) I created a series of guides for it.They're likely woefully out of date now but the basics should still hold up. You should also look at the pinned tips and tricks bit in this forum.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Is there a way to have more than three arcs? I seem to remember being able to get more slots back in the day. 

On live, winning devs choice.

Here, ask a GM. They won't give you hundreds at once, but they will give you a couple.

Edit: Honestly, I wish we could just grant them ourselves. P2W vendor, cash in tickets for slots, something.

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

On live, winning devs choice.

Here, ask a GM. They won't give you hundreds at once, but they will give you a couple.

Edit: Honestly, I wish we could just grant them ourselves. P2W vendor, cash in tickets for slots, something.

Well, I haven't made one arc yet, I was just wondering. I enjoy that part of the game as much as playing it. (Full disclosure I have written several comic books for the independent market. I'm not a "pro"  but I enjoy writing them) 

I'm with you - I spend a lot more time creating them than playing the game any more. 🙂 Getting people interested in playing them is a challenge all its own that I have not solved, but I still have fun authoring them regardless for those one or two plays and comments I get back. 🙂 

Of course to choose to play an AE arc - people are giving up their time to experience something that may or may not be any good - so I completely get the reluctance to explore. And if they are after rewards - speed runs of official content and farming just yield greater dividends - so an AE story arc is not a choice on parity there.

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

The NPCs know it too... 😉 image.png.4c43a7b9c3a4233e7fecc9ac0e8e931e.png

21 hours ago, Ankylosaur said:

I'm with you - I spend a lot more time creating them than playing the game any more. 🙂 Getting people interested in playing them is a challenge all its own that I have not solved, but I still have fun authoring them regardless for those one or two plays and comments I get back. 🙂 

Of course to choose to play an AE arc - people are giving up their time to experience something that may or may not be any good - so I completely get the reluctance to explore. And if they are after rewards - speed runs of official content and farming just yield greater dividends - so an AE story arc is not a choice on parity there.

Same! I'm using it to make parts of a show I have planned. I'll be needed a LOT more slots, though. I'm barely through the character intros for Season 1 and already at 3 arcs xD

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 7/14/2020 at 3:52 AM, Ankylosaur said:

Yeah but your stuff is worth playing! 

I mean I was chatting to a friend in team chat the other day while we were waiting for two people to zone in and she asked me how I was getting on with my AE thing. Cue me telling her a little bit until another team member quizzes me about "how many purps does it drop?" and "what's the best diff to max the XP/inf?" And when I said I literally have no idea because that's not what it's about, they said "why the hell are you bothering? Nobody plays for that stupid reason". (Comments made nicer than they actually were). Rather than get into an argument on the internet I just Lebowski'd it.

Sigh.

Keep writing stories people!  Some of us love them!

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )