Crosspunch question

Hew

I have seen this come up a few times. I know that in martial arts, boxing and crosspunch can be kitted out to do a pretty good amount of damage as filler over your actual MA attacks on a scrapper.

Do crosspunch/boxing (with the trifecta boxing/kick/xpunch) do more damage than some secondaries on tanks? If so, which, and why? I know that on aoe light secondaries, xpunch is great for filling that gap.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Do crosspunch/boxing (with the trifecta boxing/kick/xpunch) do more damage than some secondaries on tanks? If so, which, and why? I know that on aoe light secondaries, xpunch is great for filling that gap.

Thanks!

I don't know about all secondaries, but I took Cross Punch on /SS and /MA tanks. The benefits from Rage works well with Cross Punch, and its CD is short.

The stuns from Boxing/Cross Punch stacks with MA's stun from Cobra Strike, and Eagles Claw [lol]. I like the fact Cross Punch helps with the lack of AoE, despite being a cone. 

Edited by Heliodorus

14 hours ago, Hew said:

I have seen this come up a few times. I know that in martial arts, boxing and crosspunch can be kitted out to do a pretty good amount of damage as filler over your actual MA attacks on a scrapper.

Thanks!

This is the Xpunch of my beloved Rad SS tanker and her "balanced offensive recovery" Build with 2 stacks of rage / musculature T4 / Kick / Punch :

radfs12.PNG.fa99225f7783ed8d471f7c648ed04259.PNG

radfs11.PNG.c778aa9044ed8e8708c5fae90e8cf813.PNG

So compared to a TW tanker (so no rage) it's not worth it.

On top of becoming a good hitter with FS SUPER STRENGHT :x, it mule a Force feedback (chance of recharge) and gives +10% recharge for 10 seconds.

So, as always, YMMV 😄

NB : thank you @Bopper and @Sir Myshkin for the inspiration for this tanker and her build ! i have tons of fun 🙂

Edited by Tsuko
typos, sorry for my rusty english

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

There are a handful of circumstances where the Fighting Pool's attack assortment are a comparable replacement for main-set abilities, but not all. Another factor that comes into play is having to "own" all three abilities to get the full value (all +Buff benefits on each per each attack taken). For Scrappers and Stalkers this isn't the best choice just from the Critical perspective, but for the likes of Tankers and Brutes these can be fair use in a few places. For any other AT, they can become a solid Melee assortment of abilities to rely on for abnormal builds because of their strength (I built an entire Defender around it).

For Martial Arts, if you just want Boxing and Cross Punch to be tools to help mix-in your Martial styles a bit, then they can work out well enough for that purpose, but you'd want to evaluate which powers are the best to exclude from MA so you're not trading out a "good" ability for one that was potentially "better." Martial Arts is a relatively pretty strong set on its own.

In the case of something like Super Strength (FS* for those French folk 😉 ) Boxing has nearly identical stats to Punch, and Cross Punch is very close to Haymaker (plus CP is a cone) from a DPA (damage per activation) stand point, so they're a pretty easy one-for-one swap out. Why would I do this though if I'm just swapping one swing for another? Because of IO set capabilities. Cross Punch opens access to a -Res proc and the Force Feedback +Rech proc--because it is a cone and not a ST--which are both very good inclusions; added bonus that CP (at full benefit) also gives a short duration +10% recharge on its own. In a sense this is a little build-hacking or--for some--trickery and magic! Since Super Strength's core feature is really Foot Stomp, KO Blow, and Rage (being the multiplier for everything), we don't loose out on anything from the main set, but gain a few extra unique tools to support it by going into the pool.

Past those two sets there aren't really any others that I'd say you'd be doing yourself any favors by dipping into Fighting intentionally for the attacks whether it be because of weapon, combo, or just the original set abilities just being better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1