proposed winter origin enhancement drop icon

AboveTheChemist

I've recently been working to add the winter origin (WO) enhancements to the wiki, and the drop icon used for them, dating back to the Paragon wiki, was the 'special' drop icon seen here:

DropIcon-S.png.947addb3f07a7922fd26a1fdb95459ed.png

This icon is a bit problematic because it uses the invention origin border, and the WO enhancements are not technically part of the invention system (because they are not crafted). Michiyo switched it in one location to the snowflake salvage icon:

Salvage_Snowflake.png.9c567f385d1ee74d16a976f6e94ac6bc.png

Which I really like. However, for consistency, I think it needs a border around it, specifically an attuned border. I say this is for consistency because there was a drop icon developed for the archetype origin (AO) enhancements back in the Paragon wiki days that used an attuned border, like this:

DropIcon-AT_new.png.ae02bd3d4e207a9166eb92dfce1363e0.png

(and in the interest of full disclosure I modified that icon slightly from the original, see here for the reason)

Given that both the AO and WO enhancements are attuned enhancements that are not part of the invention system, I think the attuned border makes the most sense. Therefore, I created the following icon to represent the drop icon for WOs:

DropIcon-WO_trim_white.png.6e19e3de5abf58a0c4de47508bbd5a62.png

It is basically the snowflake icon above, on a white background, and shrunk to fit inside the attuned border icon. Click here for a slightly bigger version (and to see the first iteration, but I think the one above is better): https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/File:DropIcon-WO.png

I've not yet created one for superior WOs using the superior attuned border, but I can do that pretty easily. Before I did that, and before I propagated this change on the enhancement sets page, I just wanted to put this out there to solicit comments/suggestions. I am NOT an artist so if someone has a better suggestion for that icon, I am all ears.

I'll need to propogate the AO drop icons on the enhancement sets page too. The Overwhelming Force set from Summer Blockbuster also falls into the "attuned enhancement that isn't part of the invention system" category, so for consistency I think it should also have an icon with an attuned border, but that's a project for the near future.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
clarification
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aberrant said:

Looks good, only change I'd make is give it a soft gradient in the background as the pure white makes it look too stark. Maybe a light blue to white, like this.

I like it! I'll see if I can figure out how to do that with Paint3D.

Edit: I haven't yet figured out an easy way to do a gradient, but I put a thin light blue border around the edge of the white circle that I think softens it up a bit. Here is a 2 pixel border, which looked too thick when I was working on it, but on this page I think it looks good:

DropIcon-WO_trim_white_soft_2.png.c16b10b88d03290b6ada58b2f4658fa6.png

And a thinner 1 pixel border:

DropIcon-WO_trim_white_soft_1.png.207129b4867b719546266aaacb646147.png

And the original for comparison:

DropIcon-WO_trim_white.png.ad2f2af5de535429f2f9881e42c8d4f7.png

Edited by AboveTheChemist
  • Like 1

I came up with something similar for Overwhelming Force. That's a standalone attuned set that doesn't fit into any of the other categories, but I didn't want to just re-use the enhancement icon as the drop icon. Since it comes from Summer Blockbuster, I figured the drop icon should have a summery look. I tried to find a 'sun' icon without any luck, so I just re-used the 'film reel' image. Here's what I've come up with:

DropIcon-SBB_trim_blank2_final.png.1edd4a81d5dcb725adcfacf9c8f79e7e.png

I'm not totally in love with it but I think it looks pretty good. If any other attuned enhancements sets come along that don't neatly fit into any of the other categories, then perhaps they can be grouped in with Overwhelming Force into a new category with a new icon. But for now I think this does the trick well enough.

• Like 1