Help with Stone/Staff Build (Total Newbie)

callador0630

I've seen messing around with a few of the power sets, and I think I settled on Stone/Staff as the first tanker I want to get to 50.  I'm pre-granite, but with mud pots, rooted, tough, weave, and rock armor running, I'm actually pretty durable and taking down mission mobs with ease.  I purposely have been picking missions (when I can) that have more melee/smashing/lethal damage.  I haven't taken any  of the other stone armors, and I was hoping to wing it all the way up to 32 and just stick with granite.  Worst case I could grab some of the other ones to have more resistance/defense in the other areas.  

I'm a total newb, so I don't know much about the sets.  I've been making generic IO's so far.  Being new, I won't have  a lot of cash, so I figured this would be the best tank to get up to speed in the tanking department.  Then I can keep adding more custom sets as I go.

What I would like to do:

- Leverage the +13% to all resistances from staff and hopefully have enough recharge to keep that going constantly.  I will take hasten to help,  but is there a way to get perma-hasten so I can negate the -65% in granite form?  Or at least negate enough of it so I can keep guarded spin and sky splitter up for the buffs.

- With the bonus resistances, I would like to spend less slots hard capping them and focus more on my psi defense/resistance.  I will get 13% resistance from sky splitter, and I should get some psi defense from weave and maneuvers.  I also get some bonus defense from guarded spin, so hopefully that can save me some power choices to focus on psi.

- For the damage debuff on granite, I will take assault to negate most of it.  

- If possible, I would like to use rooted and earth's embrace to get my hip points near capped and have decent regen.  

Thanks in advance!

Imho, a well built granite dont need more resistance but more regen / recovery : Form of the soul would be better 🙂

The power Granite Armor can be sloted with both Res AND def, cap def with ease, wihout Guarded Spin.

Staff is a very low dps set so with granite... well dont expect to kill any EB or above alone 😛

Granite Armor is an exclusive power so while in Granite "mode", all other toggle from stone armor cannot be used. So once you take Granite, a respec can be usefull.

Granite mode debuff dmg and recharge but the real issue with granite tankers is mostly the movement : it's slowwwwwwwww 🙂 You can barely run in granite and with rooted on top, you re.. well Rooted 😛 like really rooted : only téléport powers can be used to "move".

The bind is gamechanger for granite "tp" user : /bind lshift+lbutton powexec_name Teleport.

lots of people combine granite with elec and savage to have a "charge" power, range powers help a lot too for agro management.

For your Granite / staff, i would go with this TO BEGIN to think at a final no limit build :

With 1 stack of ATO + Sky plitter form of the body buff (so full 90% resistance with 2 stack of ATO)

stonestaff.PNG.3bd1a8ac2efbe3374b4c7f43a6ca30a9.PNG

But as i told you i d rather use Form of the soul for this ! Still only 1 stack of ATO and the lowest buff of Rebirth radial :

stonestaff2.PNG.383e0eb520dd14700c271cd46d0314d0.PNG

the Prototype :

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Stone Armor
Secondary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: zc_Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Arctic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Stone Skin -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A), ImpArm-ResDam(3), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(3), ImpArm-ResDam/Rchg(5), ImpArm-EndRdx/Rchg(5), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Mercurial Blow -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(9), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Earth's Embrace -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(13), Prv-Heal(13), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(15), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Kick -- SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23)
Level 6: Mud Pots -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(23), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 8: Rooted -- Pnc-Heal(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(27), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(27), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(29), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(29)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31), Rct-ResDam%(33)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 14: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(33), ImpSki-Status(34), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 16: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 18: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Staff Mastery 
Level 22: Eye of the Storm -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(39)
Level 24: Brimstone Armor -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 26: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A), GssSynFr--Build%(40)
Level 28: Serpent's Reach -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Apc-Dam%(40), Rui-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rui-Acc/Dmg(42)
Level 30: Teleport -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 32: Granite Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43), HO:Ribo(43), HO:Ribo(43), ImpArm-ResPsi(45)
Level 35: Innocuous Strikes -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(45), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Sky Splitter -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(48), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(48), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 41: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Minerals -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rng(50)
Level 49: Block of Ice -- EssofCrr-Acc/Hold/Rchg(A), EssofCrr-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17), Mrc-Rcvry+(19)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(21)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon 
Level 20: Form of the Body 
Level 20: Form of the Mind 
Level 20: Form of the Soul 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Paralytic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Knives of Vengeance Radial Superior Ally 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
------------

Edited by Tsuko

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

I'm not going to deny you what you'd like to play, but I will say that stone armor has been made obsolete with time and that its drawbacks are not compensated by its benefits.

If you want absolute stupidly sturdyness look into Invulnerability and as a benefit you can jump over a curb (granite form itself is unable to jump in the slightest or even fly).

If you want slightly less but a much more ecletic toolkit (heals, absorb shields, two endurance recovery tools) then Radiation Armor is close behind.

You do have 1k slots and it's no big loss to level and gear up since you can just /respec and recover the IOs later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I'm not going to deny you what you'd like to play, but I will say that stone armor has been made obsolete with time and that its drawbacks are not compensated by its benefits.

If you want absolute stupidly sturdyness look into Invulnerability and as a benefit you can jump over a curb (granite form itself is unable to jump in the slightest or even fly).

If you want slightly less but a much more ecletic toolkit (heals, absorb shields, two endurance recovery tools) then Radiation Armor is close behind.

You do have 1k slots and it's no big loss to level and gear up since you can just /respec and recover the IOs later.

and you will be able to farm absurd amount of infamy with a good rad/xx tanker.

Thank you Tsuko for posting a good starting build to get me going.  I think in another thread I saw, you had a pretty awesome INV/Staff build which got me thinking about Stone/Staff.   I thought another good one could be fire/staff, just to help max resistances and plug some of the holes.  

• Like 1

One other question, how tough can a stone tank get using granite more as an "oh crap" button and mainly sitting in the other forms?  Resistances seem pretty low to everything but fire/cold, but I would have the bonus from staff.  Like you said Tsuko, he would be more of a regen style tank with rooted. 

1 hour ago, callador0630 said:

One other question, how tough can a stone tank get using granite more as an "oh crap" button and mainly sitting in the other forms?  Resistances seem pretty low to everything but fire/cold, but I would have the bonus from staff.  Like you said Tsuko, he would be more of a regen style tank with rooted. 

in MY very humble opinion, a stone tanker without a perma granite is like sex without finishing your affair 😄

• Like 1

I just want to preface this with: Play what you want, there is no content thst you can't run if you put a bit of thought into your build, with any powerset combo. I personally like stone armor even if it didn't age super well into IOs.

You can make a perfectly serviceable stone tank without taking granite. It's not THAT different from using any other tank set. You'll still be less mobile than other tanks (rooted is your mez protection and also limits your mobility) but you can avoid the damage and recharge hits while lessening the mobility hit.
The main catch to using granite as a panic button type power is, you are probably going to be shoring up your defenses with IOs for outside of granite. This A: gives you some wasted stats when you turn granite on, and B: doesn't leave you as much build room to mitigate granite's drawbacks. By no means are either of those huge problems, if you are rarely in granite they won't come up much, but they are considerations.
On the plus side, stone armor has a psy defense toggle! Psy being THE tank defense hole isn't as true as it used to be, but it's still a noticeable trend.

I'm at work now but I might try to throw a build together later when I get home. Please note while I think my builds are decent they are not cutting edge min maxed.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:42 PM, callador0630 said:

I built what I refer to as an Un-Granite Stone setup.

It's no "capped to a fare-thee-well" setup.  But it's SLEN defense capped, and 43/80 FC Def/Res.
Endurance Consumption to Recovery numbers are kinda ridiculous though.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

ok running out of time on my lunch but as a proof of concept, partially completed build with 17 unused slots, 6 unpicked powers, and a couple that are basically placeholders and could be moved to another ability (like boxing being slotted up)  So it's got some room for customization and/or shoring up more defenses

S/L/E/N/P defense capped, 20s for the other defenses, 64% S/L resist, 62%F/C

ETA: toggling on granite changes that to def capped and resist capped to all but psionic

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Stone Armor
Secondary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Rock Armor -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(3), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(3), Rct-ResDam%(15), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 1: Mercurial Blow -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(40)
Level 2: Stone Skin -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(5)
Level 4: Teleport -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Mud Pots -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(31), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(34), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-%Dam(36)
Level 8: Rooted -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(9)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 12: Brimstone Armor -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(13), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 14: Boxing -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(37), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(37), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(37), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(40), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(42)
Level 16: Tough -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(17), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 18: Crystal Armor -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(19), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 20: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(21), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 22: Earth's Embrace -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(23), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(23), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(25), NmnCnv-Heal(25), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(27)
Level 24: Taunt -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Minerals -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(29), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 30: Eye of the Storm -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Granite Armor -- GifoftheA-Def(A), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(33), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), UnbGrd-ResDam(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 35: [Empty] 
Level 38: [Empty] 
Level 41: [Empty] 
Level 44: [Empty] 
Level 47: [Empty] 
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Prv-Absorb%(7), Pnc-Heal/+End(15)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(5), PrfShf-End%(7)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
------------

Edited by Luigrein
  • Like 1