Beam Rifle Without the Rifle

Safehouse

Acknowledging that this is wishful thinking, one of the alternate animation options I wish was available for the beam rifle set is the ability to shoot the beams from my hands. Conceptually, I have a character who doesn't fit with energy blast, or with any other blast set that really exists; nothing out there lets me shoot laser beams of hyper hot energy from my fingertips. Then I see Beam Rifle, and I love the blast effects and the overall mechanics of the set! I just wish I had the option to do away with the giant gun. I'd be all over that set.

Does anybody else experience stuff like this? Any sets you wish had a "no weapon" option? Any folks out there who wish they could shoot bullets from their hands? ☺️

• Like 6

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

The Beam Rifle effects would work as well with typical mitten-emitted animations so it'd be a fine alternative. Some of the others get a little weirder, maybe.

Thinking about it, a finger gun animation set would be fun so now I'm for AR and DP getting gunless animations.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blastit said:

The Beam Rifle effects would work as well with typical mitten-emitted animations so it'd be a fine alternative. Some of the others get a little weirder, maybe.

Thinking about it, a finger gun animation set would be fun so now I'm for AR and DP getting gunless animations.

I think part of what can cause some weirdness is the fact that I'm sure some numbers/balancing decisions are based on animation time. For instance, another set I would love to see get alternate animations is Kinetic Melee (I'd love KM with Street Justice hand movements). However, if something like that was done with KM, I'd bet a balance pass would be needed because of how different the animation times are with different sets. Beam Rifle might not have that big of a difference in animation between gun attacks and, say, energy blast animations, but others might not be as cut and dry.

Finger guns would be a lot of fun! I can think of at least one sentinel that comes to mind that I'd have a lot of fun playing.

23 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

There's another thread here about Wands as an animation style for blast sets...maybe the Devs could make an animation update, sometime in the next 50 years...

It does bring to mind that, on the converse side of "weapon blasts without weapons" there are likely lots of people who wish they could have blast sets WITH weapons. Not just wands, but even flamethrowers, rocket launchers etc. This thread is probably stepping on that thread's toes and I should have posted my wish in there.

With everything on their plates, I'm not sure how high up on the priority list alternate animations are, so you could very well be right on the 50 year estimate. 

Main/Planned Characters:

1 hour ago, Blastit said:

AFAIK the only thing with weapon sets is that they have a little bit of extra accuracy because of the draw animation time. I guess you could replace that with some hand wiggle or something?

Skip the wiggle, remove the bonus accuracy, remove the weapon skin and recycle standard blast animations with the effects moved to the hand(s).  That's actually easier than adding a weapon skin.

Finger guns require fingers, though, so that wouldn't be possible without a lot of extra animation work and reskinning of character models because all we have are fists and mittens.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Skip the wiggle, remove the bonus accuracy, remove the weapon skin and recycle standard blast animations with the effects moved to the hand(s).  That's actually easier than adding a weapon skin.

Finger guns require fingers, though, so that wouldn't be possible without a lot of extra animation work and reskinning of character models because all we have are fists and mittens.

You can point with all fingers at once. I called it "finger guns" to suggest a sort of karate chop pointing as opposed to knuckle or palm guns (which could still work with buckshot and flamethrowers, respectively). I suggested the hand wiggle because I don't think it's a good idea to have mechanically distinct animations for a powerset.

16 hours ago, Blastit said:

You can point with all fingers at once. I called it "finger guns" to suggest a sort of karate chop pointing as opposed to knuckle or palm guns (which could still work with buckshot and flamethrowers, respectively). I suggested the hand wiggle because I don't think it's a good idea to have mechanically distinct animations for a powerset.

I can get that. Because the animations actually can affect powerset mechanics, it could cause balancing issues. If I need a little hand wiggle to be mechanically consistent, I'll take it!

It's all for the cause: lasers from the hands!

Lasers GIFs | Tenor

Main/Planned Characters: