Did I pick wrong again?

Lusiphur Malache

Giving Doms a second try.  Yes I'm a sucka for pain, but a few high level doms really inspired me to give the AT another try and stick with it this time.  I don't see much help on how to play a dark/elec dom. Dark I know having a dark/* blaster, defender and I know Elec because of my */elec tanker, brute.  Don't know how to put the 2 together or how not to get off my everything is dps ways.  Any advice is welcome, not a mids or farming kind of guy prefer to go with my gut on powers and slots, but if there is something i should stay far away from let me know.

Electric Assault is the only set other than Radioactive and Thorny I've never taken past the 20s, so I can only say that on paper it doesn't strongly appeal to me. I'm a masochist though; I have a plan to bring all Assault sets to 50 so I can talk credibly about them. I just rolled the /Electric last night (as Grav/Elec).

If I had to make a list of "top" Assault sets, it would consist of Fire, Psi, Energy, and Savage.

However, if I had to make a list of "top" Dominator control sets, Dark Control would be in that mix (for me, alongside Plant and Earth). Generally speaking the great primaries are strong enough to carry a so-so secondary, and vice versa. So Dark/Electric would probably be okay just on the strength of Dark.

Electric Assault does have a few pluses that may (or may not) make it worthwhile.

• Some of the attack return endurance to caster. This usually is represented as a 30% chance to restore about 1/2 to 1/3 of the power's cost.
  • The set gets Build Up, which can be procced with a Guassian's Synchronized Fire Control: Chance for Build Up. Many of the other Dominator Build Up-lite powers cannot be procced this way.
  • Voltaic Sentinel may appeal to some players.

However, the downsides:

• Unless paired with a primary that does endurance drain (so in this case, Electric Control) -Endurance/-Recovery as a secondary effect is mostly wasted.
  • Electric Assault has no T3 strength blast and is pretty weak as a ranged attacker. It's not completely alone in this--Psi and Dark and a few others also lack this.
    • However, super-snipes have taken the bite off this somewhat.
    • Also both Dark and Psi have heals to make up for the lack of a T3. Not Electric though.
  • Voltaic Sentinel will decidedly not appeal to many players.

It's up to you whether to stick it out or reroll. No judgement around here. You'll probably get more build advice from the more popular secondaries tho, unless you want to be our new expert on /Electric.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

I'd add Earth to the list of top Assault sets... and definitely agree that Electric is at the bottom.

I also don't see much synergy between Dark and Electric. Savage really works great for Dark, Dark Assault is a nice pairing, Psy is good and also works, and Earth Assault is good in general and stacking more Force Feedback activations allows you to bring up the PBAoE stun more often, slot it for damage, and get a 300 pts PBAoE instead of just a stun power. But Electric... is poor on its own, and doesn't really work well with Dark at all. Earth also adds a Power Boost-like effect, with works great to get the ToHit debuffs to be really strong at the start of a fight.

35 minutes ago, Avilister said:

Maybe a bit of a hijack, but I've been eyeing plant control for a long while and I haven't ever tried any variation on Savage - do they pair well together on a dominator?

Yes. Actually I think Plant/Savage is one of those (semi) hidden gems that may be one of the best Dominator combos possible.

Just make sure "birds flying at people" works for your concept. I think that may be the biggest downside of Savage. If you can get past that, the numbers are great, it has decent (not great) endurance management and decent (again not great) healing and excellent damage, and most notably incredible maneuverability once you unlock the T9 Assault power. The ability to teleport to melee range translates into huge damage other sets struggle to match. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

11 hours ago, Avilister said:

Maybe a bit of a hijack, but I've been eyeing plant control for a long while and I haven't ever tried any variation on Savage - do they pair well together on a dominator?

Yes. My Plant/Savage erases things to a degree I never imagined. The damage you get from Plants + Creepers, added to Unkindness (with 2 -Res procs) then Feral Charge then a 5-stack Blood Frenzy is just unreal. Spawns evaporate.

That's usually true with any set that has a mass confusion power, but adding in the damage from all the other sources, the -Def/-Res fron Unkindness, just takes it over the top.

The only downside is that Plant really is a one-trick pony, so fighting things that are Confuse-resistant is a pain... I still recall one spawn of Rularuu with 3 eyeball bosses at +3. That was harder than an AV (but I didn't take the AoE Hold... maybe I should have ). And Savage doesn't have much in the way of defensive abilities, it's all about the damage.

But leaving aside the fact that it doesn't have multiple tools for defense, on offense it could be the most destructive Dominator available.

I liked it enough to make a Dark/Savage also, and I usually try to avoid repeating sets.

I ditched my dark/elec dom. Theory crafted a fire/earth dom on brainstorm,liked what I saw and recreated her. 

Got to lvl 8 fairly quickly, having fun so far. Keeping this toon redside as long as I can. 

Are io's as important to doms as other toons

Im sure there are plenty of guides for fire/earth, going to look see at what I should avoid.

2 hours ago, Darkesyde said:

I ditched my dark/elec dom. Theory crafted a fire/earth dom on brainstorm,liked what I saw and recreated her.

Just finished leveling up my Fire/Earth. It is as fun and powerful as you imagine. I like to lay out the fire AOEs, then go to town with the big stone hammers. The only real problem is that stuff rarely lasts long enough for me to fully enjoy gunching them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yknow, I rather think Fire/Earth/Ice is pretty solid w/Cardiac. You kill by literally standing in a mob after dropping sleet. Safety in Bonfire, and heavy hitting mallets & Seismic Smash.

And I guess the imps but who cares, you’ve got mad damage all on your own!
Also yes plant/savage is buckets of fun! But yeah Electric Assault is painful to be honest. Very painful, and not to the enemy kind of way. 

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I think the nearly universal opinion is that Voltaic Sentinel does not measure up on any of the archetypes that have access to it (Dom, Blaster, Controller or Corruptor). The Homecoming powers team has been doing a great job revamping old powers, so hopefully will get around to looking at this one.