The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Make PBAoE Toggles Suppress Rather than Detoggle

oedipus_tex

I may have posted this in the past. I couldn't find the original post, so I hope you don't mind me reposting.

Concept

I think the majority of PBAoE Toggle powers should suppress rather than detoggle. I'm talking about powers like Arctic Air, Choking Cloud, etc. I used to not be sure the tech existed to accomplish this, but apparently it does, and is used in some of the Blaster sustains, like the new Cauterizing Aura.

While I am sure some folks will call this "scope creep," in this instance I think this is more of a fix. There are some really well designed powers that should theoretically be fun to use, but squishies are so vulnerable to being detoggled that it doesn't pan out, unless you pursue a mezz-protection-all-the-time strategy.

Data

Here is a spreadsheet listing powers that potentially fall in this category. I'm on the fence about whether damage powers should qualify. However, I think Crowd Control and Debuff powers surely should.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_zCo-udIKrE2kZtAHn8cNJLOACp3Mu1SH-BO6QZTKmw/edit?usp=sharing

Alternatives

An alternative to this solution would be to review and normalize the Recharge times of powers vulnerable to detoggle. Arctic Air is down for 15 seconds if you get mezzed; other powers are down for 20, or 10, or 15, or 4. Having to recast is not ideal. However, its still better than a long wait time.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

I'd prefer those kinda toggles (like aoe debuff toggles) get a much shorter recharge. Having them just suppress instead of detoggle (although nice) would just make things too easy.

I would agree, however, toggles that survival depends upon such as Will Power's RttC or Invuln's Invincibility should be an exception. Toggles that only serve to damage on the other hand would not be the exception.

16 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Data

Here is a spreadsheet listing powers that potentially fall in this category. I'm on the fence about whether damage powers should qualify. However, I think Crowd Control and Debuff powers surely should.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_zCo-udIKrE2kZtAHn8cNJLOACp3Mu1SH-BO6QZTKmw/edit?usp=sharing

*coughs* Orbiting Death *coughs* inky aspect *cough cough*

19 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I would agree, however, toggles that survival depends upon such as Will Power's RttC or Invuln's Invincibility should be an exception. Toggles that only serve to damage on the other hand would not be the exception.

In PvE at least, I don't think that's a big deal because those powers come in sets with mez protection and it's pretty rare to get stack-mezzed. In PvP there's generally no such thing as mez protection so those powers are commonly skipped on builds.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

17 minutes ago, macskull said:

In PvE at least, I don't think that's a big deal because those powers come in sets with mez protection and it's pretty rare to get stack-mezzed. In PvP there's generally no such thing as mez protection so those powers are commonly skipped on builds.

Ugh...pvp has changed so much I can't even get in to it anymore. I even noticed slows or -recharge is a joke in PvP now. That counted my Ice/Cold out. Yet back in the day my Ice/Cold was no joke.