chat bubble

Switch

ok ive tryed to figure out and remember how to do the clear  im typing bubble about head ive followed the guide page but it wont work gives me an error  unknown command  for beginchat or the code pops up when i hit enter but then u cant type so dunno what the issue is

so if anyone has this working id love to know the basic code for it  then i can adjust the code for colors i want

I have tried remembering how this works as well and made posts about it, unfortunately, it seems you and I are the only ones who remember this, as I got no replies on my threads asking about this. The command only half work. You have to manually input your cursor in the chat box after hitting enter, then arrow key the cursor to the end of the chat, at which point you can then enter your chat.

The command I used to use is as follows:

/bind enter beginchat <color white><bgcolor #0000001><bordercolor white>

I can't remember where I would enter this, but the afk message would be like this:

$$afk Shhhh, I'm typing

Hope this helps. Maybe you and I can put our heads together and get this figured out. We need more people working on this.

I think this thread needs to pick up more momentum. Surely somebody out there knows how to make this work? We can't be the only ones who remember the specialty chat bubbles?

The bind that Solarverse provided in a sense, works, but broken.  The changes, if memory serves right, was 'fixed' on Issue ...either 16 or 17.  Reason for the change was that players were able to post false powers/abilities link, clicking on it could result to anything that could be done with the slash command.

Back on topic, if one must really want the clear background, following the command as an example:

/bind enter "beginchat <color white><bgcolor #0000001><bordercolor white>"

You'd have to keep moving the cursor every single time at the end before typing... or, just copy paste the color input before typing your message.

@Kismet

@KlSMET - (kLsmet)

@Kismette

@Kismet Angel/@Angel of Fate/@One Kismet - on live

Heroes on Guardian/Villains on Victory

I think this thread needs to pick up more momentum. Surely somebody out there knows how to make this work? We can't be the only ones who remember the specialty chat bubbles?

The bind that Solarverse provided in a sense, works, but broken.  The changes, if memory serves right, was 'fixed' on Issue ...either 16 or 17.  Reason for the change was that players were able to post false powers/abilities link, clicking on it could result to anything that could be done with the slash command.

Back on topic, if one must really want the clear background, following the command as an example:

/bind enter "beginchat <color white><bgcolor #0000001><bordercolor white>"

You'd have to keep moving the cursor every single time at the end before typing... or, just copy paste the color input before typing your message.

Hey! Just teamed with you for Positron Part 1. You and I actually had a little chat about this. I wonder if it would be worth it to the new Devs to give us fix for this? Really hate to see this go. It was quite unique and lots of fun. Good run today, by-the-way.  :)

I thought you could set chat/bubble colors in the Menu>Options pull down...

This thread would not be here if that pertained to what we are talking about. Completely different chat bubble.

You can try the chat command listed in this thread. That will show you what we are referring to.

I've got a related question.

Back in the day, I had a villain that I light-roleplayed her multiple personalities by using bind load files to cycle through chat bubble color changes when I used chat. IIRC, it was bound to the enter key, but when I tried it the other day, it effectively disabled the ability to type in the chat window. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

I've got a related question.

Back in the day, I had a villain that I light-roleplayed her multiple personalities by using bind load files to cycle through chat bubble color changes when I used chat. IIRC, it was bound to the enter key, but when I tried it the other day, it effectively disabled the ability to type in the chat window. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

That is the same issue we are having. We are hoping for a fix or a new method of getting the same result.

IIRC, my old binds didn't use the syntax that I found online, but I don't remember exactly how, lol.

I may be stating the obvious, busy it seems the problem is that the game doesn't recognize commands at all after the color commands are entered. Not sure it's because of the <> or it's an issue of anything after beginchat.

I ran out of time playing with it before work, so I'll have to mess with it some more tomorrow.

ETA: something  I found from the original forums here (post#6):

/bind <key> “beginchat <colour <colourname>><bgcolor <colorname>><border <colorname>>” (Makes more sense if you look at example below) Indicates a color change in the listed areas of your chat bubble. Examples from Odacer/Punch_Drunk/Nano_Trouble/PrettySammy/Blue_Volt:

/bind enter "beginchat <colour blue><bgcolor black><border blue>"

/bind enter "beginchar <bgcolor lightblue><color blue><border blue>"

/bind numpad0 "beginchat <bgcolor green> <color gold> Who's the brotha man!"

/bind t "beginchat /team <bgcolor pink> <color blue> <bordercolor blue>"

/bind enter "beginchat <bgcolor pink> <color blue> <bordercolor blue>"

/bind t "local <color red><bgcolor black><border red>C'mere, $target!$$powexec_name Taunt"

Eta2: posting this so I don't forget to try it out tomorrow, lol. I wonder if the same idea could be used for chats:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120905201123/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showpost.php?p=813641&postcount=74

Snip

I dont get home from work for another 4 hours, but will try it out then and see what happens. I would really love our specialty bubbles back. There has to be a way to still pull this off.

I also want to experiment with the + command with something like this:

/bind enter beginchat <color white><bgcolor #0000001><bordercolor white> + $$show chat$$startchat

Check this out for info on +, -, and ++ commands:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120905201241/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showpost.php?p=879373&postcount=97

Also some pretty cool stuff here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120904015747/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showpost.php?p=600977&postcount=4

So far the only way I can get it to work is to hit end after I hit enter to make the cursor show.

Same, and most of the time I have to click the chat bar first, I can't just hit Enter and End. It wouldn't be so bad if that were the case.

• 2 weeks later

not sure if anyone has figured out how to get the colors to work with it  but  ive just been using

/bind enter "afk typing here...$$show chat$$startchat"  and it works good enough so when im typing ppl know it

not sure if anyone has figured out how to get the colors to work with it  but  ive just been using

/bind enter "afk typing here...$$show chat$$startchat"  and it works good enough so when im typing ppl know it

I never had an issue with that part. I just can't get the chat bubbles to work right. Really wish the Devs would give us a way to get our old specialty chat bubbles back.  :(

I remember this from back in the day, but I have forgotten pretty much all of the old bind commands.

I might have them written down somewhere, but if you guys are suing what used to work for you and it doesn't any more, then I am sure that if I did find my old notes that they wouldn't do me any more good than your commands are doing you.

I remember this from back in the day, but I have forgotten pretty much all of the old bind commands.

I might have them written down somewhere, but if you guys are suing what used to work for you and it doesn't any more, then I am sure that if I did find my old notes that they wouldn't do me any more good than your commands are doing you.

If your old binds contain this < or this > then you are correct, it won't work. The Devs of that time broke it when they tried fixing something else.

So now we are trying to figure out a way to get the same results, using a different bind that does not use the aforementioned method.

• 1 year later