Takeoff for fly powers.

Read that as "tradeoff" first and was thinking they're already the slowest travel power.

For takeoff, sounds cool, though not sure how it'd work... hitting /takeoffstance1 before activating fly or as an alt animation pick when you select fly maybe. Beside the powerful push off the ground, could also see dust and debris hovering off the ground as you rise or thrusters from boots fire.

• Like 1

If your only interest is maxed numbers, yup, flight is slow. But it's also the best superhero travel power, exceeded in fun only by jump.

A configurable takeoff animation would be nice. However, I have tried to simply combine a starting jump with fly only to be stymied by the +up bind bug. Maybe that could get fixed (at the command-parse level) so that a simple bind —

/bind U "powexectoggleon Fly$$+up"

— can simulate a flight takeoff.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

If Fly was made to keep your character on the ground visually when it was activated, then pressing space bar or whatever key you use to ascend could be made to activate a takeoff animation I would think. It could be a setting in the tailor for fly, under "dynamic exit" or something.

• Like 1

I can't say I'm a fan of the idea.

Start-up animations that would do nothing but delay our being able to move, just for the sake of "visual roleplay"? No thanks.  

An added animation delay would put fliers even FARTHER BEHIND the super-speeders and super-jump users on their team. You know, those guys  who *already* get to the door long before our slow-ass flying selves can? I'd rather not miss any more of a mission, or make people have to wait around any longer than they already have to.  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

5 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I can't say I'm a fan of the idea.

Start-up animations that would do nothing but delay our being able to move, just for the sake of "visual roleplay"? No thanks.  

An added animation delay would put fliers even FARTHER BEHIND the super-speeders and super-jump users on their team. You know, those guys  who *already* get to the door long before our slow-ass flying selves can? I'd rather not miss any more of a mission, or make people have to wait around any longer than they already have to.  

If you could cancel the animation with any action it'd circumvent this.

What about a paired power like Jaunt/Teleport as added to the pool travel powers? One power just to Fly, another to... Launch?

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com