New Old School challenge

Shred Monkey

This is just something I've been doing lately that's given me some re-newed enjoyment of this game so I thought I'd share it with the community. 

I'm building toons up without using any influence or help from my alts (I also never use AE farms).  All the items I'm using on my alt are earned by that alt in game, or purchased using influence that alt earned on the AH.  I'm also not doing any pure flipping strategies at the AH as these could make it too easy to earn influence as well.  By not using 2XP boosts and focus on earning merits (which I use to buy items that sell well on the AH), I'm able to keep my build up to my normal high standards, but just barely. 

I'm not suggesting they change the game to force you to play this way.  Just putting it out there as a suggestion it to some of you vets who might be looking to relive the old challenge of this game. 

I'm also doing this mostly solo, so I can take the time to read the missions and backstories.  It's been fun.   I might start doing this with all my new toons.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 7

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Already on it.:-) After running with the Classics, my next 2 characters have been running “on their own merits.” I plan to run these guys without crafting or purchasing IO’s. Should be fine for solo and non-incarnate stuff. 

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

This is just something I've been doing lately that's given me some re-newed enjoyment of this game so I thought I'd share it with the community. 

I'm building toons up without using any influence or help from my alts (I also never use AE farms).  All the items I'm using on my alt are earned by that alt in game, or purchased using influence that alt earned on the AH.  I'm also not doing any pure flipping strategies at the AH as these could make it too easy to earn influence as well.  By not using 2XP boosts and focus on earning merits (which I use to buy items that sell well on the AH), I'm able to keep my build up to my normal high standards, but just barely. 

I'm not suggesting they change the game to force you to play this way.  Just putting it out there as a suggestion it to some of you vets who might be looking to relive the old challenge of this game. 

I'm also doing this mostly solo, so I can take the time to read the missions and backstories.  It's been fun.   I might start doing this with all my new toons.

Word up. Shred it.

I've done this sort of thing now on a couple of characters and it can be a refreshing distraction for a short time but I tend to get bored with it around level 25 or so.  What I started to do the last character was to allow my main to provide level appropriate IOs but no sets.  Also, no XP boost however I will use AE at times to power level up to say the next power or IO break.  That seems to be working better for me.  Also, instead of staying strictly blue or red I've gone purple and just pick and choose missions.  For instance I like running mayhems more then I do safeguards.  Certain level range contacts I like on blue side and others I prefer the redside contacts.  This has kept me engaged in the character more.  We'll see if I make it all the way to 50 this way but I've certainly made it further than previous characters.

I have a handful of alts that run variations on this.  I wanted to see how easy it was to get OMG LEET builds (answer: easy) without using all the tools that HC has provided.  I documented a bit of a "no buy" build a while back, but got bored (more with the build than the concept) once proof of concept was established:  

Who run Bartertown?

I do a variation on this with all my toons. I seed new toons with 1,000,000 inf, then everything after that is earned in game or on the AH from converting drops or merits. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller