SUGGESTION: Remove -tohit from group fly

Kid_Gloves

With the proliferation of various temp powers, etc. that grant flight, Group Fly is likely vying for worst power pick in the game.

I suggest removing the -tohit from it and improving the flight handling - shifting it's role from an unnecessary travel power option to a more useful in-combat power.

A boost in speed for targets that aren't the person using it would also be nice, since as it stands the person who does the flying tends to outpace their allies.

• Like 2

I agree it should be enhanced, but don't really envision it as an in-combat power.  With any team with more than 4 members, its difficult to have everyone stay close,and the bigger the team the more the chaos.  While this doesn't hold for regular teams who work together all the time, for the large majority of teams, I can't imagine even a very effective group fly being utilized well.

-- Rock

On 1/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, Kid_Gloves said:

With the proliferation of various temp powers, etc. that grant flight, Group Fly is likely vying for worst power pick in the game.

I suggest removing the -tohit from it and improving the flight handling - shifting it's role from an unnecessary travel power option to a more useful in-combat power.

A boost in speed for targets that aren't the person using it would also be nice, since as it stands the person who does the flying tends to outpace their allies.

FYI, Group Fly doesn't do -tohit and hasn't for a long time.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Group Fly should be made a CLICK power with short cooldown, that would bestow fly ability to all friendly targets in its PBAoE range. Also buff hung by it should be cancellable. Of course if it does -ToHit it's rubbish, there shouldn't be a single power that debuffs teammates!

• Like 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

On 1/27/2021 at 1:07 PM, TheMoncrief said:

I'd be satisfied if Group Fly would at least let my Mastermind pets keep up with me. Even as a travel power, it just doesn't work well. If it's not being buffed to work well in combat, at least let it do what it is currently supposed to do properly.

It's slightly awkward to do this.  Mastermind pets are lower-level than their owner, and thus have lower flight-speed caps.  This stuff is pretty baked into the system.  I think that basically the reason they haven't done this already is it's a lot of mechanical surgery to try to fix it in order to rescue a marginal power choice.

You could imagine that group fly could massively increase flight-speed caps and then not actually grant capped flight speed (it's kinda mysterious why all the travel flight powers grant capped speed in the first place), but then you start to have shenanigans where group fly becomes better than Afterburner at both of their nominal niches...

Not to say this isn't a worthy goal.  Just it's harder than you might think.

4 hours ago, Kid_Gloves said:

The text short description and description needs to be updated, then. I know that fly doesn't anymore (and the text reflects that).

It does, but this is hardly the only power in the game with incorrect text.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

5 hours ago, aethereal said:

It's slightly awkward to do this.  Mastermind pets are lower-level than their owner, and thus have lower flight-speed caps.  This stuff is pretty baked into the system.  I think that basically the reason they haven't done this already is it's a lot of mechanical surgery to try to fix it in order to rescue a marginal power choice.

You could imagine that group fly could massively increase flight-speed caps and then not actually grant capped flight speed (it's kinda mysterious why all the travel flight powers grant capped speed in the first place), but then you start to have shenanigans where group fly becomes better than Afterburner at both of their nominal niches...

Not to say this isn't a worthy goal.  Just it's harder than you might think.

If it were easy, I imagine they'd already have done it. It's only mildly infuriating in its current state because the power choice *IS* so marginal, and would be so even if it were fixed. I'm sure there is a solution, such as just setting the Group Fly to set flight speed cap and flight speed to equal the user's for all recipients, but I'm also sure that there are lots of other problems our team of volunteers can be working on.

I'd like it solved, but I'm not going to hold my breath or get  particularly outraged if it's one of those issues that just stays there indefinitely. Really, I mostly count myself fortunate to get to play this game at all.