Help me decide on a scrapper?

dekova

I've decided to try my hand at a scrapper and am hoping for a bit of guidance.  What I'm after is a scrapper with broad-spectrum survivability (which I feel includes solid DDR), decent single target damage and a taunt aura so stuff isn't running off. Is my best bet Dark Melee and Shield or are there other combos I should look at as well?

I think I've got a decent handle on how to evaluate primaries, but secondaries still have me scratching my head and trying to figure out what the percentages end up at with a finished build.

Edited by dekova

Unfortunately scrappers don't have a taunt aura, while they do have damage auras the fact is enemies tend to run from us, if you want the taunt aspect then try brutes which can be made very sturdy and do some really fun things as well. If you're looking for something with DDR I'd say shield or SR but if you want something different that can do a multitude of wonderful things I'd say dark armor or bio armor paired with dark melee........2 of my current favorite scrapper builds currently followed by a crazy dm/regen soft capped build I have.......but that's for people who are glutttons for punishment.

Try Claws/Ice Armor. 

You get a slow and a damage aura, along with single target and cone KD (slot Shockwave for KB to KD!).  Strong single target chain plus AoE with Spin, Shockwave, and Icicles. Plus and Endurance tool in Energy Absorption with a heal in Hoarfrost. And the Scrapper T9 Icy Bastion is very useful when your defenses are debuffed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dekova said:

I've decided to try my hand at a scrapper and am hoping for a bit of guidance.  What I'm after is a scrapper with broad-spectrum survivability (which I feel includes solid DDR), decent single target damage and a taunt aura so stuff isn't running off. Is my best bet Dark Melee and Shield or are there other combos I should look at as well?

I think I've got a decent handle on how to evaluate primaries, but secondaries still have me scratching my head and trying to figure out what the percentages end up at with a finished build.

Shield is probably the right choice for a secondary to suit your interests since it has healthy DDR and AAO taunts.  Be aware that before IO sets, shield doesn't perform that well compared to something like Super Reflexes defensively, so Shield blooms later or requires a lot of investment early for attuned sets and the like.  When you do have IO sets though, Shield is pretty amazing, with layers like +HP/Res/Def/DDR/-Dam that really shine in mixed content.

Percentages are going to depend on what you want in the end.  I build every character to softcap defense of some kind (45% S/L/M or 45%M/R/A) and strive for as much S/L resist (and other res when possible) as I can get, with 75% being the ultimate (rarely reached) goal.  You might instead build for less defense and resist in favor of recharge and damage output.  It depends on what you want or need for your type of fun.

Dark Melee is okay.  The single target isn't amazing and the AoE isn't amazing but Soul Drain on a fast recharge can make it competitive. Touch of Fear and Shadow Maul are great for leveling up and the tohit debuff in the attacks and the heal can fix the early problems Shield has before IO's.  Overall it is a good pairing for Shield specifically because of these things, and how well AAO and Soul Drain mesh for high sustained dps in large groups.

Other options for secondary would be Invuln or Energy, which both have taunt auras and DDR. They have weaknesses to certain damage types (Psi or Tox etc).  They're good sets but Shield will do specifically what you want probably a little better on a scrapper. Still worth looking over the powers to see if they suit your needs though.

Primary other options to look at pairing with shield would be Mace for all around versatile damage/AoE/control, or Energy Melee for very strong single target damage. Rad Melee has some interesting options if you can stand the animations (I can't personally).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocMidknight said:

Unfortunately scrappers don't have a taunt aura, while they do have damage auras the fact is enemies tend to run from us, if you want the taunt aspect then try brutes which can be made very sturdy and do some really fun things as well. If you're looking for something with DDR I'd say shield or SR but if you want something different that can do a multitude of wonderful things I'd say dark armor or bio armor paired with dark melee........2 of my current favorite scrapper builds currently followed by a crazy dm/regen soft capped build I have.......but that's for people who are glutttons for punishment.

No. Several secondaries have taunt auras, it is only the older sets who do not. Unfortunately this can be confusing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dekova said:

DM/Inv

• Like 1

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

The sets with taunt auras are Bio, Energy, Invul, Radiation, Shield and Willpower, although the duration on Energy and Willpower is shorter. 

• Like 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller