Build Request: Katana/Bio

pakku22

I don't have a brute build for kat/bio but i run a scrap one just built for s/l defence. I think bio works better on scrappers but thats just my preference. You can build bio in different ways, high recharge build for a fast dna siphon, parastic aura and perma ablative or you can build for a high defence to s/l/e/ne/f/c usually by throwing winter sets at it and splitting up the AT set that provides s/l def. I like to hit 45% s/l and then build in as much recharge as i can but either way you have to sacrifice either recharge or defence you can't get everything in unless you go agility and ageless and then your only good for high end content. Bio is a weird set, you feel invincible right up to the point where your not watching and then suddenly your just dead with no idea why. Its one of those sets that was still in testing on live servers so its not precisely fine tuned like the others it feels a bit overpowered like /rad armour and then suddenly  it doesn't. One of those powersets where you have to monitor your debuffs very carefully and i do't do that. So when you build it you have to know exactly what you want from it. Defence or recharge. Build for 1 of those. You can very easily get 35% + to all and still get everything perma.

Bio works on everything (I cannot verify that on sentinels, not enough playtime!).

I have a broadsword/bio brute that I am trying to fine tune.  For broadsword, you want recharge and -res debuffs.  Same for bio armor.  I play bio very aggressively and much more like Regen than most people.  If Divine Avalanche is in your attack rotation, that will probably keep you well above soft cap melee defense most of the time.  But remember that bio has no defense debuff resist, so you can (and will) quickly go from 45% defense to -45% defense, so be ready with your heals.

I'm working on something like this:

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Level 50 Natural Brute
Primary Power Set: Broad Sword
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Villain Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Hack                Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(3), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Hct-Acc/Rchg(5), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(5)
Level 1:    Hardened Carapace        UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2:    Slice                SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 4:    Environmental Modification        LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 6:    Combat Jumping            ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), Rct-ResDam%(13), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(15)
Level 8:    Parry                KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(15), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(17), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(19)
Level 10:    Adaptation    
Level 12:    Inexhaustible            PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 14:    Kick                FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 16:    Ablative Carapace        Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(19), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23), Prv-Absorb%(23)
Level 18:    Whirling Sword            Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(25), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Arm-Acc/Rchg(27), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(27)
Level 20:    Evolving Armor            UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 22:    Tough                GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33), UnbGrd-Max HP%(33)
Level 24:    Weave                LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34), LucoftheG-Def(34), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(34)
Level 26:    Disembowel            SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(37)
Level 28:    DNA Siphon            FuroftheG-ResDeb%(A), ThfofEss-+End%(37), TchoftheN-%Dam(39), Obl-%Dam(39), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39)
Level 30:    Hasten                RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 32:    Head Splitter            FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(42), HO:Nucle(42), HO:Nucle(42)
Level 35:    Ring of Fire            GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(A)
Level 38:    Parasitic Aura            Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(43), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(43), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(43), Pnc-Heal(45), ThfofEss-+End%(45)
Level 41:    Melt Armor            AchHee-ResDeb%(A), ShlBrk-Acc/Rchg(45), ShlBrk-%Dam(46)
Level 44:    Fire Ball            Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(47), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(47), Ann-ResDeb%(48)
Level 47:    Genetic Contamination        SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(48), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(49)
Level 49:    Build Up            GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 1:    Fury    
Level 1:    Brawl                Empty(A)
Level 1:    Sprint                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Rest                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Swift                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Hurdle                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Health                Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2:    Stamina                PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50:    Vigor Partial Core Revamp    
Level 10:    Defensive Adaptation    
Level 10:    Efficient Adaptation    
Level 10:    Offensive Adaptation    
------------

Who run Bartertown?

I've got bio brutes/sents/scraps/tanks and it feels like brute is benefitting the least from offensive adaptation due to the fury mechanic it already has. That maybe a good thing as it allows you to run either of the other 2 toggles i suppose. Its just a feel when playing the toons not something i ever really tested. Might have something to do with db/bio scrap being one of my favourites, but i rate fire/bio sent right up there with it. Every time i played bio on a brute it just felt like it would be better on a scrapper and i ended up with wm/bio, kat/bio, db/bio, tw/bio, claws/bio, fire/bio scraps although the last 1 hardly gets played. The only brute i play running bio now uses dark melee primary but only because i have dm/sr, dm,sd scraps already and i still think it would of been better as a scrapper but its purely a personal opinion.

46 minutes ago, Meknomancer said:

I've got bio brutes/sents/scraps/tanks and it feels like brute is benefitting the least from offensive adaptation due to the fury mechanic it already has. That maybe a good thing as it allows you to run either of the other 2 toggles i suppose. Its just a feel when playing the toons not something i ever really tested. Might have something to do with db/bio scrap being one of my favourites, but i rate fire/bio sent right up there with it. Every time i played bio on a brute it just felt like it would be better on a scrapper and i ended up with wm/bio, kat/bio, db/bio, tw/bio, claws/bio, fire/bio scraps although the last 1 hardly gets played. The only brute i play running bio now uses dark melee primary but only because i have dm/sr, dm,sd scraps already and i still think it would of been better as a scrapper but its purely a personal opinion.

I don't disagree with the assessment on Offensive Adaptation. I've got a SS/Bio Brute I have been working up and initially had been thinking Offensive would be a nice bump but found out that Efficient and Defensive are where it's at. In Efficient mode he can punch indefinitely. Defensive I only pull out when it looks like things are going to be a bit nasty, but can only maintain that stance for a fixed amount of time before Endurance drops to critical levels. 

But yeah, Fury dwarfs Offensive Adaptation. The weird thing is a KM/Bio Scrapper who is a few levels higher and he feel's squishier but I have checked the resistance and health totals and they are comparable. It may be because I am trying to run the Scrapper in Offensive whereas on the Brute I don't bother.

Running offensive seriously drops your resistance you will notice it instantly. I'm pretty lazy with bio i stick offensive on and thats that so i'm always running with less resistance than i could have but the dps makes up for it. I think the scrappers up front damage and crits are the reason i prefer it to brute bio. 

• 1 month later
On 1/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, Meknomancer said:

The only brute i play running bio now uses dark melee primary but only because i have dm/sr, dm,sd scraps already and i still think it would of been better as a scrapper but its purely a personal opinion.

Try Bio/DM tank, it's a hoot with pretty good def/resist numbers in Offensive and the AoE and cones are huge. Shadow Maul hits critters standing almost behind you.

I've had an old bio/axe for a while thats a ton of fun, hits way harder than i expected but i haven't tried any serious tanking on it yet it usually gets rolled out for low level wst like hess/citadel and then i forget i have it and go back to whatever the latest idea was. But bio/dm sounds fun i'm not sure it will be more fun than the brute. Tank vs brute. corr vs fender. i always find the red much more enjoyable to play regardless of how much more survivable the blue is.