Is there a good single target secondary to pair with electric?

DougGraves

Fire if you want to stay ranged.

Add Earth and Energy if you are willing to enter melee (both have a good melee attack with a mez that allows you to "wake" mobs up with a Hold or a Stun).

Psy is pretty good also if you're willing to take melee attacks (it sucks at range) and Drain Psyche is always great... but you'll have to use a KB converter in TK Thrust if it's going to be part of a chain rather than as a push back power.

If you're going to be using Static Field a lot then you probably want a secondary with the following characteristics:

• Avoids DoT (this interupts Sleep)
  • Contains knockdown (an enemy that is knocked down loses its chance to respond before Sleep is reapplied)

As an Electric Control character, you probably also want a secondary that either magnifies Endurance Drain or does its own -Recovery.

Of the available secondaries, 4 sets stand out:

• Energy: No DoTs, has endurance drain multiplication in Power Up, excellent damage
  • Icy: The one DoT suppresses against enemies who are Sleeping (nice), has endurance drain multiplication in Power Up
  • Earth: Similar to Icy except the DoT does wake enemies; has lots of knockdown though 
  • Psi: No DoTs, reliable single target knockdown in TK Thrust if kb is converted to kd, has no Power Up but does have -Recovery in drain psyche. A good choice if you plan to spend a lot of money

As for the other secondaries:

• Dark stands above the others because it has a Power Up Equivalent. Dark has DoT but the -ToHit might make it okay if you hold off on AoEs until enemies are prepped
  • Fire, despite its DoT, is a mostly single target set and may be okay. You don't really need Consume though if you go Power Sink which many Elec Controls will
  • Savage is never a bad set for anyone, however of the available Control sets I'd rank Electric either last or second to last for pairing with it
  • Martial isn't really bad, isn't really good, Caltrops and Explosive Shuriken are out. Reliable knockdown in the PBAoE attack though 
  • Electric has its own endurance drains that can stack with Electric Control but is just not a great set overall. Has no Power Up equivalent which is a major set back for a set that in theory would pair well with the Electric primary
  • Thorny has poor synergy overall and not much to recommend. I guess the -Defense can help enemies Confused by Synaptic Overload kill each other
  • Radiation is not a set I've played with much. I find its heal special mechanic too finicky the times I've tried it. Doesn't seem to pair especially well or especially poorly with Electric Control

You can also read my guide about sapping here: 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/6/2021 at 5:40 AM, DougGraves said:

Electric puts them to sleep with static field.  I want to then pick them off one by one.  What are the good secondaries for single target damage?

Electrical Assault hands down as it will assist with -end and when you get Preemptive it just gets even better.

• 4 weeks later
On 2/6/2021 at 2:40 AM, DougGraves said:

Electric puts them to sleep with static field.  I want to then pick them off one by one.  What are the good secondaries for single target damage?

In no particular order 

Earth ( a real SMASH feel and the sounds are awesome as well as the FX). 

Fire , of course 

Savage

Martial Arts