Proc build for Traps

Dahkness

1 hour ago, Hops said:

I really want to make a Traps proc build but I never played the set. I was told in game that the procs in traps don't work and acid motor is really bad? I am playing around fold space to pre set my traps. What are thoughts on procing out Traps?

Huh. Interesting. I thought that procs in Poison Gas Trap would be good, and also in Trip Mine. They're also fine in Acid Mortar. They're terrible in Caltrops, true, but that's about all. Actually, I'm not sure about Seeker Drones, how well they work there. Without looking at the power specs, I would think that they should work well since the Seeker Drone self-destruct is a click, not a toggle, and should probably have a long activation time. So putting damage procs in those should also work.

And I'll second that about Acid Mortar, it's an excellent power.

Yes and no.

Webnade, trops, mortar, seekers and tripmine* are all pretty bad for procs. 

They either don't fire often (trips, webnade, mortar) or fire at all (seekers, tripmine).

* Enemy based damage procs don't seem to work in tripmine, but ffback will trigger on you when you cast it. Maybe worth it?

Poison trap is pretty good for procs, but the cast time is so slow. 

I think it might depend on your primary. My /Traps build doesn't have too many procs, because I don't really need to do extra damage as much as I want to help the henchmen do extra damage. There is a subtle point that any one given %-res source won't 'stack' with itself, but the duration length will be increased if it was re-applied (such as from the Achilles Heel %proc) I want to say that Pseudopets (like most traps) have a slightly different (inferior) way that they work than in character powers.

The only other caveat is that the Endurance cost of attacks for MMs is quite steep, so there is a real balancing act when deciding to try to provide your own offense (via %damage) and letting the henchmen do their thing.

I can share the slotting of my Bots/Traps/Mace (level 50, leveling was different)

Web Grenade is not really worth slotting, IMO:

Level 1: Web Grenade

• (A) HamiO:Endoplasm Exposure

I like the slow from Caltrops, I have a sort of compromise slotting that uses one lower-level set and one higher level (both attuned). I can't quite remember the math, but I think the %smashing is close to the ceiling while the %-Res should be about 70% of whatever the %damage is.

Level 2: Caltrops

• (A) Annihilation - Damage/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (7) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 50
  • (9) Impeded Swiftness - Damage/Slow: Level 30
  • (9) Impeded Swiftness - Range/Slow: Level 30
  • (11) Impeded Swiftness - Endurance/Recharge/Slow: Level 30
  • (11) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage(Smashing): Level 30

Triage Beacon holds a 6-piece set for bonuses:

Level 10: Triage Beacon

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal: Level 50
  • (17) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance: Level 50
  • (19) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (19) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance: Level 50
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb: Level 50

Acid Mortar has two %-Res in it. It should be more %proc friendly because of the longer recharge time.

Level 14: Acid Mortar

• (A) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 50
  • (34) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 20
  • (34) Undermined Defenses - Defense Debuff: Level 50
  • (36) Undermined Defenses - Defense Debuff/Recharge: Level 50
  • (36) Undermined Defenses - Recharge/Endurance: Level 50
  • (36) Undermined Defenses - Recharge: Level 50

FFG is included for completeness. No %procs.

Level 16: Force Field Generator

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed: Level 50
  • (46) Luck of the Gambler - Defense: Level 50
  • (46) Defense Buff IO: Level 50

Poison Trap is another compromise between set bonuses, %proc, and actually doing the job of holding enemies.

Level 22: Poison Trap

• (A) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Hold: Level 50
  • (23) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50
  • (23) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50
  • (25) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Endurance/Hold: Level 50
  • (25) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Accuracy/Hold/Recharge: Level 50
  • (34) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50

I have the attacks designed to grab some aggro, knockdown and %-Res enemies with AoE; Photon Grenade, Mace Beam Volley.

Edited by tidge

34 minutes ago, tidge said:

Triage Beacon holds a 6-piece set for bonuses:

Level 10: Triage Beacon

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal: Level 50
  • (17) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance: Level 50
  • (19) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (19) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance: Level 50
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb: Level 50

Wait, does that absorb proc actually work on Triage Beacon/Spirit Tree?

8 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

I'm not sure about the +absorb, as its very much HP based, but I do know that the Panacea +hp/+end proc turns Triage beacon into a AoE Heal over time power (in addition to the massive +regen you get) that affects your pets, and any allys. Double/triple stacking a Panacea proc'ed triage beacon is basically plugging the Sleep hole that /traps has, as heals break sleep.

22 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

That particular proc only works for the character with the power, and it will fire even if you never drop a Triage Beacon. (assuming level ranges, damage taken, blah blah blah fishcakes)

Traps is better off built for high recharge. Two acid mortars out for -40% resistance adds more damage than damage procs on one acid mortar considering that traps procs will never come close to outpacing your pet damage. Most of the powers are average or worse for procs. Caltrops isn't terrible but isn't great, acid mortar is meh, poison trap is decent, web grenade is terrible. 

And yea the panacea proc is personal. Its like your own little emergency absorb, it triggers when your health is low. Saved my ass quite a few times and its completely independent of triage beacon, just that's a great spot to put it. 

2 hours ago, TheSpiritFox said:

Traps is better off built for high recharge. Two acid mortars out for -40% resistance adds more damage than damage procs on one acid mortar considering that traps procs will never come close to outpacing your pet damage. Most of the powers are average or worse for procs. Caltrops isn't terrible but isn't great, acid mortar is meh, poison trap is decent, web grenade is terrible. 

And yea the panacea proc is personal. Its like your own little emergency absorb, it triggers when your health is low. Saved my ass quite a few times and its completely independent of triage beacon, just that's a great spot to put it. 

I agree to an extent. Stacking the -res procs in acid mortar, and then dumping a bunch of recharge is better then the damage procs. having 2-3 acid mortars, with 2 -res procs is between -80 to -100% resistance (20% per acid mortar, 40% from the procs)

Also, I think you mean the Preventative Medicine proc for the +absorb