Unlimited Growth

Bursurkur

5 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

To actually toss my hat into the ring, the Borderlands series has a really great way of handling this while ENCOURAGING alts.

In their games, they have a system called "Badass Ranks" where completing certain milestones or challenges unlocks account wide boosts for the player across all their characters. This is unlimited... but the kicker is that you can only attain certain milestones once per character and as you level up it gets harder and harder. For example, there could be 5 different tiers of "defeat an enemy with X thing", with each level being like 100x / 1000x / 10000x, etc. Naturally as you progress it will get harder and harder to achieve. Likewise, the boosts you get also have diminishing returns where the first time you cash in your rank you get 5% Damage. The next time is 4%.... 3%.... 2% ..... 1%.... 0.5%..... etc. Do this across multiple characters enough and you still gain rewards, but it takes longer and the output you get is very small additions to the pile.

I like this as it encourages alts + player longevity and can still offer bonuses to max lvl characters who can complete some challenges far easier than others. There are even some bonuses that only affect high lvl gameplay in the series that have no value to new / alt characters you make.

Isn't that just more accolades?  Each tier would need written, so it wouldn't be limitless.  And if it's account-wide, you still need either a restriction that says "only applies to your level 50s" or you've just introduced another Judgement.  The diminishing returns is nice and all, but it's still permanent benefits you aren't unlocking more of any time you earn a point of XP on a character who isn't 50 (though I suppose nothing says you'd need to be 50 to start earning these).

I guess what I'm saying is... thanks, I hate it.

(sorry, you know I hate it with as much love for you as possible)

Edited by Replacement
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Replacement said:

(sorry, you know I hate it with as much love for you as possible)

Star Wars Irony GIF

Basis for that tho is that game does have continual rewards forever as long as you keep playing the same character where that one character technically gets better. You gain BETTER (prestige?) rewards from fresh characters though, but your (prestige) also has diminishing returns to prevent just spamming 1000 new characters. 

6 hours ago, Andreah said:

I'm not a fan of account progression, but I understand why it would have better altism incentives. That's really key for this game.

I have mostly stopped alting.  Before you reach for your rocks, pitchforks and torches hear me out.  While this does mean i am not doing endless alt runs through Posi1, posi2, synapse, etc, It does mean i am doing endless ITF, LGTF, MLSF, LRSF, incarnate trials, market crash, SBB, etc.  And weeklies.  

So, my question is.  How is alting "key for this game?"

Okay, now you can reach for the rocks

On 3/10/2021 at 8:33 PM, Troo said:

image.png.d023aa8bf0492097f885c5436b4c2049.png

That, right there, is pure awesome.  If there was ever an ode to the game and to a truly loved character, there it is.  And I'm not talking about the vet level 1000, that's just a number. I'm talking about the personal tracking of challenges and achievements.

The reason why I'm alting like my life depends on it is because I'm still looking for THAT character.  THE character that I will love so hard, I will do all that.  I will push the limits of what I can do within the borders of the game and I will love every minute of it.  No power-leveling, no farming, no double-exping, no sugar-coating (interpret that last one however you wish, I just want to make sure I have all my angles covered).

i sincerely hope I will find that character.  CoX is worth the search just the way it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I have mostly stopped alting.  Before you reach for your rocks, pitchforks and torches hear me out.  While this does mean i am not doing endless alt runs through Posi1, posi2, synapse, etc, It does mean i am doing endless ITF, LGTF, MLSF, LRSF, incarnate trials, market crash, SBB, etc.  And weeklies.  

So, my question is.  How is alting "key for this game?"

Okay, now you can reach for the rocks

Oh that's simple: it's just redundancy tolerance. 

This game isn't exactly thrilling in the combat department.  Re-grinding the same content on the same toon is not a winning formula for longevity.

Granted that CoH has horrible tools for adding new content but has an unending pipe for new characters, it's just easier to shake up the experience on the alt end.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Replacement said:

Oh that's simple: it's just redundancy tolerance. 

This game isn't exactly thrilling in the combat department.  Re-grinding the same content on the same toon is not a winning formula for longevity.

Granted that CoH has horrible tools for adding new content but has an unending pipe for new characters, it's just easier to shake up the experience on the alt end.

I had such fun last night on a Q with my Dark/Dark Brute.  Some of the team was a bit reluctant to speed through the missions, and the leaders were lightspeed looking for goals.  So I just bumbled my  way through the maps trying to help.  Danged Rularuu can be ornery lol.  I was in one set of tunnels trying to figure if the goal was there.  Solo.  like, there were a :LOT of Ruluaruu, or Soldiers, or whatever.  Eyeballs, wisps, all the freaks.  I decide to clear the intersection (why there were so many mobs, groups from each tunnel...) I used every trick I had.  maybe didnt have purples, sigh.  dropped after a couple minutes.  I used Darks self rez, got most of my toggles up and popped a purple, started fighting and trying to get my last two toggles up.  Damned things dropped me again!  The shame!  The challenge!  Also been rolling into BAFs and trying to solo all the reinforcement spawns from Siege until end.  Thats a rodeo.  To me that is thrilling.  I have yet to get comfortable on a Blaster beyond heavy fire support for fights I have memorized.  But Brutes.  Danged, I still love it lol.