Blaster and Dominator Secondaries as Primaries?

Yomo Kimyata

My two least played classes are blasters and dominators, for various reasons.  They are also the only two classes that have unique secondaries, so I am woefully unfamiliar with almost all of them.  Excluding EATs, I can explore the power sets of any other AT through a different AT.

How would you design an AT with blaster secondaries for primaries?  What would be the secondary?  What would you name it?

How would you design an AT with dominator secondaries for primaries?  What would be the secondary?  What would you name it?

Bonus question:  would you play an AT with blaster secondaries for primaries and dominator secondaries for secondaries, or vice versa?

Who run Bartertown?

I think the dominator secondaries offer a much better opportunity for this than blaster secondaries. Blaster secondaries are too different from one another. You’ve got sets like Devices with only one direct single target damage power and then others with three or four. So they wouldn’t be very balanced as primary sources of damage.

• Like 2

Dominator secondary would make a great range/melee hybrid. They would probably play like a sentinel who has more of a mix between melee and range power.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

How would you design an AT with blaster secondaries for primaries?  

I would not.  I simply don't see it being viable.  Fire Manipulation vs Electical Manipulation vs Tactical Arrow vs Mental Manipulation?

It's too mixed a bag.  I don't think they can BE primaries.

How would you design an AT with dominator secondaries for primaries?  What would be the secondary?  What would you name it?

This is at least plausible.  All have some ranged damage, all have some melee damage, some have degrees of control / soft control, some are raw damage.

• Pairing it with control would feel silly to me, because why not just play a Dominator?  So not control.
  • Pairing it with Support.... feasible, but honestly, I wouldn't do it, because i still cling to the Impossible Dream of a Melee/Support or a Support/Melee.
  • Pairing it with an armor set.... feels like I'm making a Sentinel who spends a bit more time in melee. 
  • So I'd look at maybe Mastermind Pets / Henchmen as a Secondary?

Bonus question:  would you play an AT with blaster secondaries for primaries and dominator secondaries for secondaries, or vice versa?

No.  It doesn't feel workable to me.  It would feel like I should just play a Blaster for more reliable ranged damage plus a blaster secondary. 

That said, I'm not deathly opposed to the idea. It''s just not my cuppa tea.

Just now, Bill Z Bubba said:

I have a lowbie ar/dev blaster that I've been enjoying the hell out of... much has changed since I last tried that combo before the snap.

AR / Dev is very effective and has nineteen kinds of nostalgia to go with it. 

But man, I tried Martial Kombat.  And /Martial rocks so much for a blaster I'd be hard pressed to roll Devices now.  Martial Kombat just hits all the right buttons for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

AR / Dev is very effective and has nineteen kinds of nostalgia to go with it. 

But man, I tried Martial Kombat.  And /Martial rocks so much for a blaster I'd be hard pressed to roll Devices now.  Martial Kombat just hits all the right buttons for me.

I hear ya. She's definitely a nostalgia build versus an effectiveness build. Like many of my newer alts after the insanity of the shield/em tank.....

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1