CoH on a wide screen curved monitor?

Jacktar

Hi, not sure if in right topic section so apologies in advance..

Have been considering having a Lockdown Treat and been eyeballing a Samsung 34” 4k QLD widescreen curved monitor.

This is a dedicated moniter and not a television. (3440 x 1440)

Never had a large screen and no experience of a curved one either.

Has anybody had/got or used one for gaming and how was it?

And, most importantly, will the game run full screen on one at max resolution and be immersive.

Just looking for any experiences/thoughts/opinions et cetera both subjective and objective..

Thanks guys 👍

i bought a upgrade tower during 2019 thanksgiving sales.  rather than buy a comp monitor i bought a 55 widescreen TV.  had to get a desk upgrade. ( was using a 30x58 glass top from ikea, bought a second and made an L shape) plopped that in the corner of the desk.  my old monitor/comp is now on the long desk arm for wiki, discord, etc   the TV is not curved but it is very very nice for City of Villains.  i recently started running a second acct on the old comp.  (12x21) for setting up a farmer and danged, sad panda while looking at it lol.

With my big screen I have so much room for bars/chat/map and still see a ton of game real estate.  The difference between driving looking out a shape the size of a cardboard box or driving looking out the windshield of a semi truck.

• Like 1

I purchased  a Samsung 32 " curved monitor last spring. Works beautifully. Much like @Snarky I find so much more space for actual game play.  

Issues I have are needing to find the space on my desk to push it back so it isn't right in my face. As well I lose my cursor often. This has always been a problem for me. Not sure if it is more common but it is a thing.   I find myself switching to a very small windowed mode when Boosting IOs. Takes a long time to do so on full screen but that is an easy fix. 

All in all I love it. Wife hated it for the first few months as she was having issues getting used to the size when reading the news but she seems to have gotten over it. Or she has stopped mentioning it...either way works for me. 

Edited by Sakai
  • Haha 1

Been playing on a 28 inch 4k since relaunch. No real interest in anything bigger, since past that size really is relative. (The bigger the monitor, the further away you put it...) But I can confirm that having all that real estate to stick the windows around the edges and actually see and immerse in the game world is a lovely, lovely thing. Curved is probably a lovelier thing yet but it may make every day use of the computer a bit less convenient. (I do got to get work done when I'm wearing my other super suit...)

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I have a new Samsung G9 49” ultra wide curved.  Massive beast.  It’s actually my second one because the first had a few dead pixels, but the second has been flawless.  

COH runs beautifully on it.  In fact, it’s so wide, and I multi-box (well, multi account anyways) often so I’m often running the main session on about the center 2/3 of the screen with the other two accounts running in small windowed sessions on either side.  This has the added benefit of letting me use the same keyboard/mouse to quickly move between accounts to do what I need.  

COH, though very old, does a good job of letting you resize the UI, fonts/icons and such to take advantage of just about any size monitor you want.

I have played COH on a widescreen TV for some time as well (during COVID quarantine when I had oodles of time to kill), but I can’t for the life of me get the game pad features to work anywhere near as well as just a simple keyboard/mouse combo.  But since it’s not really a FPS and you just primarily Tab and Click everything, it’s not all that important to me to do anything different.  

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 3:08 AM, Jacktar said:

Has anybody had/got or used one for gaming and how was it?

I don't know off the top of my head if CoH works this way or not, but one thing I have seen reported about wide-screen monitors and games is that the game will show the same field of view whether you have a normal or wide-screen monitor, so if you have a monitor that is twice as wide as a normal monitor, it effectively cuts off parts of the top and bottom of your normal vertical field of view (to keep proportions the same), making you look up and down a lot more. If the game lets you adjust the FoV setting, you can tweak that to show you more sideways and get the vertical back, but you need to fiddle with the value until you get something that looks decent.

I have an Asus ROG 34" curved monitor (Asus PG348Q 3440x1440) and CoH runs great on it with one exception.  Cut-scenes do not display well.  Dialog text gets cut-off and the horizontal "bars" meant to display a 16x9 movie experience doesn't span across the entire screen.  Despite that, I am quite happy with my 34" curved monitor and strongly recommend it.