Kin/Sonic defender vs Sonic/Kin corruptor

ed_anger

What's the difference in rolling with a Kin/Sonic defender vs Sonic/Kin corruptor? I assume the defender has stronger kinetics powers, while the corruptor has stronger sonic attacks, but anything else important?

If memory serves me correctly, Defenders and Corruptors (practically every AT) have different multipliers for different power types. So you Defender would also get more defense from, say, Combat Jumping than the Corruptor does. So not only will your primary and secondary powers be working on different scales, but pool powers will as well.

Someone more familiar with this mechanic may have more to say on it. Or tell me how wrong I am.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

With support sets as a secondary they're 75% as a affective as Defenders, attack sets will be stronger, the other difference would be the passive which would give the Defenders endurance reduction or corruptors bonus damage.

Tbh, i dont think kin really needs to be primary to shine, you may heal and sb slightly better, but FS will still get you to dmg cap. The higher dmg multiplier and scourge really sound like a better setup overall

Your secondary will be affected too; defenders' buffs and debuffs are stronger across the board. In the case of Sonic Attack specifically, a corruptor will do more damage, but a defender will debuff enemies' resistance more, effectively boosting damage for the whole team (even if you're all already at the damage cap).

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

I love corruptors and prefer them most times to defenders, but with the powersets you are talking about, you are going to want to go defender. The Sonic resist debuffs are much stronger especially as they stack. That setup is completely designed to buff a teams damage through buffs and debuffs. Sure, the Corr can take the team to the dmg cap too, but it won't lower the resists as much resulting in lower overall team dmg, which I gather is what you are going for because Sonic is not a good solo set. Of course the corruptors will do more dmg itself before the resist debuffs start to stack and then the defender will end up doing more overall dmg even with scourge. I see no reason at all to go corruptor with those sets.

I love corruptors and prefer them most times to defenders, but with the powersets you are talking about, you are going to want to go defender. The Sonic resist debuffs are much stronger especially as they stack. That setup is completely designed to buff a teams damage through buffs and debuffs. Sure, the Corr can take the team to the dmg cap too, but it won't lower the resists as much resulting in lower overall team dmg, which I gather is what you are going for because Sonic is not a good solo set. Of course the corruptors will do more dmg itself before the resist debuffs start to stack and then the defender will end up doing more overall dmg even with scourge. I see no reason at all to go corruptor with those sets.

Sonic not a good solo set?

Use your area sleep, casually walk up and Fulcrum Shift and Siphon Power, step back, Howl, Sleep them again. Move into group and Dreadful Wail. If anything is alive, Transference yourself back to full endurance and then finish it off.

Sonic is not a good solo set.

My Rad/sonic laughs at this statement.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Use your area sleep, casually walk up and Fulcrum Shift and Siphon Power, step back, Howl, Sleep them again. Move into group and Dreadful Wail. If anything is alive, Transference yourself back to full endurance and then finish it off.

That sounds so slow and tedious compared to fire. Run up, fulcrum shift, aim, inferno. But fair enough, I don't think Sonic is a good solo set compared to some others would have been a better statement.

That sounds so slow and tedious compared to fire. Run up, fulcrum shift, aim, inferno. But fair enough, I don't think Sonic is a good solo set compared to some others would have been a better statement.

Sleeping things dont get to apply controls to you. You can of course play like you indicate. Handily Sonic gives you that choice.

Now try that while mezzed.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Any build with Sonic Blast should be a Defender - the debuffs are much larger. However, I wouldn't pair Sonic with Kinetic. Kinetic is just too 'busy' a set and you're not going to have enough time to both focus on a Blast rotation and use Kinetics properly. With a standard Corruptor/Defender build, this just means you're not using your low quality nukes as much - you're losing something, but it's the worst part of your rotation. With Sonic, there are no 'low quality nukes' because all of them are stacking short-term resistance debuffs.

So if you're going to build a Sonic Blast Defender, you should pair it with a set that doesn't require much activity during a fight. Leave Kinetics for people like Controllers who have nothing better to do with their time.

Any build with Sonic Blast should be a Defender - the debuffs are much larger. However, I wouldn't pair Sonic with Kinetic. Kinetic is just too 'busy' a set and you're not going to have enough time to both focus on a Blast rotation and use Kinetics properly. With a standard Corruptor/Defender build, this just means you're not using your low quality nukes as much - you're losing something, but it's the worst part of your rotation. With Sonic, there are no 'low quality nukes' because all of them are stacking short-term resistance debuffs.

So if you're going to build a Sonic Blast Defender, you should pair it with a set that doesn't require much activity during a fight. Leave Kinetics for people like Controllers who have nothing better to do with their time.

Howl's debuff lasts 8s. No, you're not likely in a team going to be doing full blast rotations, but you don't need to. Your purpose on a team is buffing the team's damage by providing damage bonus and debuffing resistance. With the Recharge boost from Siphon Speed you can Howl every 8s to maintain the resistance debuff on everything you hit. And tossing out Howl every 8s isn't exactly demanding.

I agree with Hjarki in that kin can be a bit busy. I run sonic on my cold, where i lay down sleet (and benumb if AV) and then just rotate through all my blasts. Just howling is ok, but thinkgs like bosses and some lieuts need to be hit by a few single hits to make them fall closer to the weaklings, giving a smoother clear. 

Not to say kin is bad, just doesnt have as much room to utilize sonic to its most.