Star Wars: The Bad Batch

5 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Last season was mostly filler as well. I really don't think there's all that much meat on this particular bone.

I excused last season's fluff as an unfortunate effect of the scramble in the film industry caused by COVID and the uncertainties it brought.  I mean, even Rhea Perlman's voice acting sounded distinct and separate from the others, like she recorded it in the safety of her basement in a homemade sound cubical.  That's not present this season, and the first 3 episodes were very strong.  I'm puzzled therefore why they're sinking back towards their first season pattern.  Especially as Dave Filoni is helming this.  He had a few toss-away episodes in The Clone Wars, but not many.  This one felt more like an episode of Star Wars: Resistance, an animation I've noticed people are reluctant to bring up again, and for good reason.

I'm not tossing the season out for 2 lesser episodes, but they do need to get their drive in gear.

• Thumbs Up 1

I expect them to fluff until the last 2 episodes.

Resistance was painful. I think they thought they could get away with mostly fluff then some actual plot movement toward the end of the season. That's not going to work in the sequel movie era setting. I'm glad it failed though, as a success might've hampered their mad dash to distance themselves from the sequel fever dreams.

I wonder why I can watch this series without looking at the clock, but the other animated SW series felt agonizingly slow (I don't think I actually finished them)?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

18 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I wonder why I can watch this series without looking at the clock, but the other animated SW series felt agonizingly slow (I don't think I actually finished them)?

No idea.  Resistance was painfully slow to me, but it was mostly due to bad writing and highly annoying main characters. 

UPDATE:  Okay, I went and watched reactions as they trickled in to YouTube (I've never seen such a slow crawl before), and I now understand that this episode may have had greater depth in the full context of Star Wars than I initially realized.

Spoiler

Apparently the mecha the Batch unleashed is (most likely) Zeffo in its design.  The neck and head are distinctive to the ancient Zeffo empire look, and the use of certain curved design elements as well as puzzle traps are all features of the Zeffo, or at least what is known of the ancient power so far.   If I understand correctly, Zeffo first appeared via architecture and technology in the canon game Jedi: Fallen Order.  While I've not played that game, I have viewed the "movie" of it someone compiled, but had forgotten the scenes with the Zeffo elements in them. 

Combined, these two imply that the whole of canon Star Wars might finally be taking a look into the past for more stories.  It's an interesting connective tissue, giving depth and a bit of mystery to a "modern" civilization built on the ruins of other civilizations, and still occasionally influenced by them.  Since Disney still intends (we think) to find a way to shore up its weak "Sequel Trilogy", it might be interesting if in the last days of the Empire or the first days of the First Order, the emperor's forces discover lost Zeffo technology that advances their own via retro-engineering.  It might, for example, explain how an entire planet could be converted to a battlestation, move from orbit, and fire a planet killer ray that can fragment after discharge and accurately target several planets.

What bugged me about the most recent episode was:

Spoiler

They make a point that they at least have some money problems, so why not try and salvage *something* from the downed walker.  Also, why does removing the key activate the walker, and reinserting it shut it off?  It'd be cool if they made it a point that the key was from some other group who was fighting the walker-builders or something...

19 hours ago, biostem said:

What bugged me about the most recent episode was:

Hide contents

They make a point that they at least have some money problems, so why not try and salvage *something* from the downed walker.  Also, why does removing the key activate the walker, and reinserting it shut it off?  It'd be cool if they made it a point that the key was from some other group who was fighting the walker-builders or something...

Possible address to the concerns:

Spoiler

1.  While I agree, salvaging the mech remnants seems reasonable, I think the artists went out of their way to show the whole machine was engulfed in fire, probably to indicate there'd be little left but ash.  Also, they still have the matter of the reptile that was stalking them.  While it was thrown from the window, it had survived an assault of blaster fire, and even Wrecker couldn't kill it, only wound it.  It may have been tough enough to survive the fall and even if not, creatures don't just arise in a vacuum.  There's bound to be more of them, and possibly a pack. 

That said, they should at least report this to Rex.  He could coordinate sufficient rebel forces to look into the matter, possibly find out something that benefits the Rebels, even if it's small, like a more efficient power source.  The mecha did have power still after surviving longer than the Jedi existed.

2. The key does seem to be an issue but there are two reasonable explanations: 

-- The mecha was ancient, and the key seems to be more than just a hunk of carved metal in a slot.  There's actually filaments within it that suggest it has a technological component as well.  Perhaps it acted as a circuit breaker.  While in place things were fine but being reinserted after the mecha was up to power reinserting the control key forced it into a wave of energy it could no longer handle ( I'm not an electrician by any stretch, so apologies if my description is poor.)

-- They reinserted the key, but not in a sequence it was supposed to have.  That could be a failsafe in case of enemy takeover of the mecha.  Your machine is compromised, you pull the key.  If the opponents get the key and insert it with the incorrect series of turns, the machine assumes its owners are not at the helm and self-destructs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Season 2, Episode 6 - "Tribe"

Okay, after two mostly stand-alone episodes we're somewhat back on track, maybe not in the overall arc of Bad Batch, but in the greater arc of Star Wars in general.

Spoiler

Gungi, the Wookie padawan with a wood-handled light saber, was a fan favorite in the Clone Wars episode featuring David Tennant's voice (which by the way, there's rumors of David's droid character possibly returning to the grand story at some point), and we now get to see that Gungi's aged a few years and survived on his own after Order 66. 

Writers are still having Omega dart off on her own, shirking duties, acting like her empathy for others is cause enough for the team to follow her will.  Either their setting her up for a massive sting, or they're being sloppy in the writing.  I'm being gracious by giving an option.  This does not mean that I don't like the character, I just don't like how she's been written of late.

We get to see the effects of the taking of force-sensitive kids early in their lives.  Gungi immediately connects with his homeworld, but is lost and has no idea which was his home village.  Presumably this means he also has no idea who his parents were.  Jedi are mostly good, but they've mishandled certain things in a tragic way.

We get to see a lot more variety in the Trandosian appearance.  Up until Bad Batch most Trandosians were drawn to look similar to Bosk, the first of that species to be portrayed on screen.  In fact, the Big Bad this episode looked so different that I at first thought him to be another reptilian species.  Cid, of course, is a Trandosian and to my knowledge is the first one to suggest notable height differences based on her appearance.

I'm really wondering what that liquid was that Wrecker was scarfing from the serving bowl.  Echo initially turned his nose up at it, suggesting it didn't look appetizing but later changed his mind after agreeing to sample it.  Ent water anyone?

Planet Kashyyyk has always had the suggestion of abundant variety in flora and fauna and we got to see a bit more this time, in the process bringing an old opponent creature from the Knights of the Old Republic game into canon lore.  With the results of this episode, I feel that if Disney wanted to, they could have a mini-series, or possibly even a series focused on the adventures of a unique warrior leading their native, tribal species which worship a global Gaia-like intelligence in open opposition of a technologically advanced foreign species that seek to kill the natives and strip the life-abundant planet of resources.  See what I pointed out there?  It's Jedi Gungi leading the Wookies one Kashyyyk, or it's Jake leading the Naavi on Pandora.  Disney's maneuvered their Star Wars into a possible rival (or more realistically, knock-off) of Avatar.

Regardless of what was stated in the previous paragraph, Disney's opened up a lot of storytelling potential by the return of Gungi.  I look forwarded to seeing the fulfillment of that, though I do have one concern.  In the original trilogy, Yoda mentioned to force ghost Kenobi that Luke was the last of the Jedi, and Kenobi, now essentially a manifestation of the force, didn't dispute the point.  We've had two loopholes to that "absolute":  Ahsoka is not technically Jedi having left the Order, and Ezra Bridger was hurled to parts unknown, presumably in the uncharted areas of the galaxy, and unable to interact with the Empire worlds, effectively negating his ability to go up against the emperor.  If Disney keeps bringing back Order 66 survivors and making it so that fans refuse to accept the characters' demises, Yoda's statement get trampled.  Gungi will have to die young, or they'll have to come up with an exception reason to keep him away from the Empire leadership, one that will maintain the integrity of Yoda's statement and Kenobi's tacit agreement.