Ranged Damage Dealer!!! Suggestions / Feedback / Heckling

Snarky

7 hours ago, siolfir said:

So you're counting the -regen in the damage numbers?

I'm not counting anything.  I used Google and found a bunch of tables and spreadsheets that said Fire was best for AoE damage and Beam Rifle was best for single target.  I surely don't care enough to do my own analysis of the blaster sets.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

My blaster main is Archery/Devices.  Pure ranged damage dealer right there.  I usually skip melee attacks in blaster secondaries.  This one fits my blasting playstyle best.  I stealth in, set a few traps between me and the spawn, scatter caltrops to discourage too-friendly mobs, and then rain down death.  If you enjoy a stealthy doublenaught spy character you will enjoy this blaster combo. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

So..I ask myself, why does the Snarky want to remain at range? Because he wants to is a good enough reason, but be advised - those rascally NPCs will attempt to close in from time to time. So what's a ranged blaster to do? 

Ice patch! or freeze ray to stop them from getting in your face. The t-9 is a target AoE with a fairly safe range and it knocks most of them down and keeps them from messing with you. 

The ice primary is super fast. Once you try it, if you get to bitter ice blast, you will probably not enjoy many other blasters - but I could be biased, having played my ice blaster for literally 1000s of hours. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ukase said:

So..I ask myself, why does the Snarky want to remain at range? Because he wants to is a good enough reason, but be advised - those rascally NPCs will attempt to close in from time to time. So what's a ranged blaster to do? 

Ice patch! or freeze ray to stop them from getting in your face. The t-9 is a target AoE with a fairly safe range and it knocks most of them down and keeps them from messing with you. 

The ice primary is super fast. Once you try it, if you get to bitter ice blast, you will probably not enjoy many other blasters - but I could be biased, having played my ice blaster for literally 1000s of hours. 

I have tried it a few times.  Ice/Time  Ice/Ice baby!  I may try it again.  I had real good luck with Elec/Time.  I may tray Ice/Energy for the range and effect boost.  My biggest issue with Ice (besides it not being my true love Dark) is that it is location AoE.   I never figure out / coded a hot button to turn it into targeted AoE either.  Sigh.  I think this will be my next project though.  I briefly tried Beam/Energy last night ( PL'd to 20 and looked.  It is CONSTANT redraw....every time I use any of the 4 boosts from Energy the rifle disaapears and the poor little blaster looks like he is being electroshocked)

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I have tried it a few times.  Ice/Time  Ice/Ice baby!  I may try it again.  I had real good luck with Elec/Time.  I may tray Ice/Energy for the range and effect boost.  My biggest issue with Ice (besides it not being my true love Dark) is that it is location AoE.   I never figure out / coded a hot button to turn it into targeted AoE either.  Sigh.  I think this will be my next project though.  I briefly tried Beam/Energy last night ( PL'd to 20 and looked.  It is CONSTANT redraw....every time I use any of the 4 boosts from Energy the rifle disaapears and the poor little blaster looks like he is being electroshocked)

It's been a while since I set mine up, so don't hold me to this as certain, but I think it's:

/bind (whatever key you want here) powexeclocation target "(power name as shown)"

So to bind blizzard to C for example, it would be:

/bind C powexeclocation target "blizzard" --- and for powers with multiple word names make sure to use spaces exactly as displayed i.e., "rain of fire"

Edited by KaoticKarl
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

My biggest issue with Ice (besides it not being my true love Dark) is that it is location AoE.   I never figure out / coded a hot button to turn it into targeted AoE either. 

I hated patch powers until I started binding them, but even before powexeclocation target - which @KaoticKarl covered just above this - I used binds for (shift|ctrl|alt)+lbutton for them to place them. Even if you do make the target binds, which I recommend, you still might like to be able to place them without a target: for example, when the mobs are spread around without one in the center.

Just a quick sample would be something like:

bind shift+lbutton powexecname Ice Storm

bind alt+lbutton powexecname Blizzard

Then shift-clicking a location would drop an Ice Storm there, and alt-clicking drops a Blizzard. Note that I still usually use the powexeclocation target binds, too - most of the time it's not worth looking for the mouse cursor - but these do allow for some targeting freedom.