Beam Rifle Secondary

Snarky

Looking for tips on a secondary for a FULLY RANGED Blaster Beam Rifle.

Devices, looks...interesting, even though Targeting Drone and Field Operative would be the only real picks.  besides default T1

Energy Manipulation looks interesting as well.  I would take Build Up, energize, power Boost, Boost Range.   Errr, Does power Boost help BR much?

Ant tips here would be appreciated.

again, fully ranged hover blastin'

<Obligatory post directly contradicting your stated preferences>

Have you considered a /Stone Melee Tank? 😄

okay. With that out of the way..... um.... tall order.  Verrrry few Blaster secondaries are truly Full-Bore Ranged.  Blasters were never really designed as a range-only AT.  They're GOOD at ranged of course, but almost everything includes melee's and PBAE's. 

You could try supplementing with Pool ranged attacks (Project Will, Wall of Force) but I do NOT recommend this. 

I think Tactical Arrow is the only true "everything is ranged or self-buff" secondary. And Beam/TacArrow is a LOT of redraw.

I think you'd have to pick one of the others and just flatly ignore the melee and PBAE options.  I would not enjoy. You might.  But I can't really advise anymore than that.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MTeague said:

<Obligatory post directly contradicting your stated preferences>

Have you considered a /Stone Melee Tank? 😄

okay. With that out of the way..... um.... tall order.  Verrrry few Blaster secondaries are truly Full-Bore Ranged.  Blasters were never really designed as a range-only AT.  They're GOOD at ranged of course, but almost everything includes melee's and PBAE's. 

You could try supplementing with Pool ranged attacks (Project Will, Wall of Force) but I do NOT recommend this. 

I think Tactical Arrow is the only true "everything is ranged or self-buff" secondary. And Beam/TacArrow is a LOT of redraw.

I think you'd have to pick one of the others and just flatly ignore the melee and PBAE options.  I would not enjoy. You might.  But I can't really advise anymore than that.

i have had good luck with elec/temporal for a fully ranged.  (now almost fully incarnated and actually sweet)  but i was looking to broaden the field a bit

• Like 1

I got Beam /ta /plant and /devices..i really loved /ta before the nerf, now it feels strange for some reasons..I have to rebuild it, maybe try a different pool powers..devices i like it, caltrops is really nice.. plant is ranged, i took one melee power for makos bite and with spore clouds i quite like it..

Edited by Elia87

Beam/TA before the nerf was an amazing ranged “overwatch” kind of character.   I loved warehouse missions because I could hang out in the ceiling in one spot and pretty much just lay waste to the entire room from a distance.  Post nerf it lost a lot of its abilities and I can’t recommend it now.

I PL'd a Beam/energy to 20 and looked at it last night.  To me it is complete garbage.  The animationm are killing me.  He drops his rifle any time he uses any boost from Energy Manipulation (all the time)   I may try Beam/Devices But I think I will try Ice/Temp first

I just got ice/plant to 50, love the debuff part of plant, wild fortress with the absorb is also quite nice..beam/dev i took Soul mastery and it is becoming one of my favorite. Beam i love the dmg and the disintegrate effect is very satisfying, really solid dmg

I'll give a +1 to Beam/Devices.  I played mine as a hover/blaster.  And you're right... the best thing about Devices is that you only need 2 powers.  And the best thing about Beam Rifle is that you can make a solid all-ranged attack chain without hasten.  I even chose not to take cutting beam because I didn't like it's short range.  It made me get in  too close to line up a good shot.  It didn't fit the playstyle I wanted.

This is the toon I used to solo nearly everything solo-able.  All the GMs (Not Paladin because I couldn't ever fight him without others joining.) Tin Mage, Apex, MsLTF, LRSF, a bunch of other TFs, All but a few AVs at level 54.   I think there's was a bug with targeting drone that I didn't know I was abusing at the time I was doing those things.  But regardless, he was absolutely a beast of a solo toon.  The best I've ever played in terms of raw power.

The down side for me was teaming. The way Beam Rifle's damage hits at the end of it's longer animations results in way too much corpse blasting on a fast moving team.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow