Knockback from Heart of Darkness

tanglin

What is an effective way of using this power? I took it just to slot it for the recharge bonus, but its mechanics seem to be the very antithesis of control. It knocks every mob away from you before applying a stun. 

What's even more frustrating is that nowhere does the power description, including the detailed one, say anything about the knockback, and you can't put a "change knockback to knockdown" IO on it.

How do you use it effectively in a team situation? Does applying an AOE immobilisation beforehand stop them from being knocked away?

1 minute ago, tanglin said:

Ah crap ... how did I miss that Chance for Knockback IO in that Stupify set?? Thanks! Mystery solved. I'm taking that out, but I'll lose the 6-piece bonus. 

Oh well ... 

Yep. It's deeply annoying. Nice 6 set bonus stuck behind a crap proc. At least the 5set is decent too but losing the ranged Def is annoying as hell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnifax said:

Yep. It's deeply annoying. Nice 6 set bonus stuck behind a crap proc. At least the 5set is decent too but losing the ranged Def is annoying as hell.

Yeah, and that "chance" to knockback is more like certainty. I'd jump into a nicely herded group, and every single mob, including bosses, would be flung to the 4 corners. 

Heart of Darkness is quite a good proc bomb, because the recharge is long enough to ensure they almost always go off (are at 90% likeyhood). Normally this is great if you've got Shield Breaker and Touch of Lady Gray in there. But sadly it also means this piece of poop goes off 90% of the time too. 

I'd love to see it changed to 0.5 knockback instead (knockdown). 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Heart of Darkness is quite a good proc bomb, because the recharge is long enough to ensure they almost always go off (are at 90% likeyhood). Normally this is great if you've got Shield Breaker and Touch of Lady Gray in there. But sadly it also means this piece of poop goes off 90% of the time too. 

I put the proc from Cloud Senses into the 6th slot for thematic purposes, but I can't always tell if it procs though. 

The devs had a very different idea of the value of knockback from the playerbase. They seemed to think that knockback is awesome, when it actually requires a lot of skill and situational awareness from players to make it work in a team setting.

Single target knockback is fine, that's something you can work with.

Pbaoe knockback is a nightmare.

42 minutes ago, tanglin said:

put the proc from Cloud Senses into the 6th slot for thematic purposes, but I can't always tell if it procs though. 

One reason I wrote a parser was to see if procs were going off and how much they contributed. So of you've been running with logging on upload one of your last logs to www.carnifax.org and you should be able to see.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:37 AM, Carnifax said:

Single target knockback is fine, that's something you can work with.

Pbaoe knockback is a nightmare.

One reason I wrote a parser was to see if procs were going off and how much they contributed. So of you've been running with logging on upload one of your last logs to www.carnifax.org and you should be able to see.

I've never tried running the game with logging turned on. How complicated is it?

/logchat will toggle it on / off (there's also an option somewhere in the Options menu ingame). 

After that go to the Combat tab, right click > Edit > and add the Pet tabs (Pet damage, Pet heals etc). 

Then they'll start showing up similiar to this (depending on where you have CoH installed).

image.png.e9a4a17b035347a3b4659916478d78f0.png

Then you can upload one (switch off the game or copy the log file 1st because the game sticks a File lock on it) and procs will be listed like other powers

image.thumb.png.b2ab6b0124ef2ddf6bb7748792839287.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2021 at 7:20 AM, Ankhammon said:

I've never used Heart of Darkness. is the range too low to allow hover kback attack (so as to kdown)?

I've never tried that, but I've since realised that it's the proc from the Stupify Set that's knocking everyone back and have removed it, so I can't test it now. 

On 5/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, Carnifax said:

I'd disagree- gives a nice source of access to knockback for certain powers (e.g. some melee disorients) in a game that doesn't very freely give access to it (giving knockdown instead). Having a lot of fun with it in Sweeping Cross from StJ. 

Some procs suck for certain playstyles, but there's always an alternative set you can use. 

On 5/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, star_fury_lives said:

I'd disagree- gives a nice source of access to knockback for certain powers (e.g. some melee disorients) in a game that doesn't very freely give access to it (giving knockdown instead). Having a lot of fun with it in Sweeping Cross from StJ. 

Some procs suck for certain playstyles, but there's always an alternative set you can use. 

unfortunately you are incorrect for ranged defense there is not an alternative set you can use there are 5 sets in total and 3 are hot garbage which is why people are disgruntled about this one since it has better bonuses then the purple set 

On 5/9/2021 at 6:22 AM, DocMidknight said:

I slot HoD with procs.....5 procs and an A/D/R from one of the sets to give me a 2 piece bonus, never had it do KB with that setting atleast not that I recall seeing

More or less this.  It is a great PBAOE proc-nuke and under Domination it stuns plenty fine on its own.

2 hours ago, PoitVok said:

For people proccing out HoD to the gills....how do you get it to hit? Do you rely on 1 acc IO and other global accuracy set bonuses?

Mine has a +5'd Acc/Recharge purple in it from Absolute Amazement, seems OK especially on teams with lots of to-hit buffs and def debuffs flying around.  I'm not typically soloing +4s on my dom, takes long.  (The other 5 slots are all damage procs)

image.png.b993bd8d5933886426965e8e00bbffcd.png

On 5/23/2021 at 1:29 PM, PoitVok said:

For people proccing out HoD to the gills....how do you get it to hit? Do you rely on 1 acc IO and other global accuracy set bonuses?

A combination of matching sets that give accuracy, Tactics, Kismet +Accuracy(To Hit) and the To Hit buff you get an an Incarnate really buffs those low accuracy numbers to the point where it will reliably hit even when procc'd to the gills 🦈.

I hope that one day the Devs revisit Control powers and remove the accuracy penalty from a lot of them.

• Thumbs Up 2