Popmenu called from another popmenu caused failure of keyboard/mouse input recognition

AboveTheChemist

This is a bug that most folks will probably never encounter, but I figured I would document it all the same.

I tried opening a popmenu from within another popmenu, and a side effect was that some of my mouse and keyboard input was no longer recognized. Specifically, I could still move the mouse cursor and left click UI elements, but the right click button and scroll wheel ceased to function. Keyboard input recognition completely ceased unless I left-clicked in the chat bar to initiate chat input, in which case I could type text/commands into the chat bar. Keybinds and other direct keyboard input, though, were no longer recognized at all.

The specific command that caused the issue looked like:

Option "Open Test Menu" "popmenu poptest2"

Exiting the game completely and restarting the game restored full mouse/keyboard functionality.

In my effort to create some test popmenus to replicate the issue, I discovered another oddity. The above bug only occurred if the above command was placed within a sub-menu of the popmenu in question. If the above command was placed on the top level of the popmenu, I could use that command without losing mouse/keyboard input. Here's an illustrative screenshot:

popmenu_bug.png.9386c647014527872382c40bce52fca3.png

I've attached two test popmenus (poptest1.mnu and poptest2.mnu) that allow replication of this bug. Place both .mnu files in the <CoH root folder>\data\texts\English\menus folder, and open the first menu with the following chat command:

/popmenu poptest1

The menu that opens should match the screenshot above. The top-level command, marked as (Working), should not cause the bug. The command nested within the 'Open Menu' sub-menu, marked as (Bugged), should cause the bug described above. Both should open a second popmenu that contains an option for sending a test tell to oneself. 

poptest1.mnu

poptest2.mnu

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo

• 9 months later

I just ran into this same problem today. Previously, I was able to open another popmenu from the first or main window, but as of today the /popmenu command won't work inside a popmenu at all. Completely freezes the keyboard if called.  I should mention that the main popmenu I was using to call up another popmenu was the Quickchat menu.

Using a Macro calling a popmenu from the main menu still works, but not from sub-menus.

Seems like a conflict between mouse input commands to me, since popmenus are supposed to pop up wherever the mouse cursor is. The Quickchat menu is programmed NOT to do that. A conflict occurs and shuts down input. The same for using a popmenu inside another popmenu inside a popmenu sub-menu. Just a guess.  

Edited by BlackSpectre
  • Thanks 1