Traps--Acid Mortar and Procs

Mack008

How well do Procs work on Acid Mortar?  I know the chance of a proc going off will be low, but that might be balanced out by the fact that it's an AoE and how often it fires.

Anyone have experience with it?

2 hours ago, Mack008 said:

How well do Procs work on Acid Mortar?  I know the chance of a proc going off will be low, but that might be balanced out by the fact that it's an AoE and how often it fires.

Anyone have experience with it?

following

Casts summon @Bopper.  My experience is on Live prior to present proc function where folks were learning it was good place for procs.

Good news is, I think, is it's a pet and not pseudopet.  It's also single target and the pet fires the grenade which is an AoE.  Not sure how that effects things.

I really should get someone to pin the proc monster threads.

Acid Mortar does work with the Procs, the firing effect will go off the AoE formula and the Mortar itself is a pet. So it can be worth tossing slots into it for the added proc potential when they’re available in a build (which for traps there’s often more than plenty). 

And don’t worry about proc rate, you’ll still see some good returns on it even when it’s just a ST enemy in range. If want more of the deep dive (minus a bunch of technical math) check out the Defender Proc Monster link in my signature.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

OK, it uses the AoE formula.  So with an 8ft Radius, 0 Activation, and 5.5 sec Recharge, a typical 3.5 PPM should go off 16.9% of the time.

Hmm... with three Procs in it...

-- 60% of the time none of them will go off

-- 34% of the time 1 will go off

-- 6% of the time 2 will go off

-- And there's a miniscule chance of all three going off

Acid Mortar won't wipe out any groups, but since it's an AoE and will fire several times, it will contribute.

On 5/23/2021 at 1:21 PM, Mack008 said:

Thanks.

OK, it uses the AoE formula.  So with an 8ft Radius, 0 Activation, and 5.5 sec Recharge, a typical 3.5 PPM should go off 16.9% of the time.

Hmm... with three Procs in it...

-- 60% of the time none of them will go off

-- 34% of the time 1 will go off

-- 6% of the time 2 will go off

-- And there's a miniscule chance of all three going off

Acid Mortar won't wipe out any groups, but since it's an AoE and will fire several times, it will contribute.

You can also have more than one out at a time, each doing it's own proc thing.

Logging how often procs went off was the 1st goal of my Parser. If you want to check for yourself make sure Logging Combat is on, and ensure all the Pet tabs are added to the Combat Window. 

Here's a Combat Parse for my Ice/Traps controller who has 2 procs in Acid (aka Backfire on that character) running some Rikti missions solo last night. 

https://www.carnifax.org/?uuid=7dcce866-5fbc-43d6-87cb-9afd308a5c35

We're lucky with procs in pseudopets because the Logger records which Pseudo triggered them (Procs in normal powers just record the proc going off, it's impossible to tell which power triggered it, on my graphs you'll see Bombardment & Positrons Blast recorded, which is actually from Earth Epic > Fissure, although a tiny % of Bombardment is also from Enflame because of how the Devs recoded how procs work with Enflame recently)

So I can tell you my procs in Acid + Backfire did 2246 (around 1900 of which is procs) + 1079 (~900 procs) out of 60825 total damage. So overall those two procs contributed a bit more than the single Posi in Fissure (but less than the Bombardment in the same power). The reason I've both "Acid Mortar" and "Backfire" in my logs is simply that I renamed the Pet, but if I summon a second while the 1st is still active it will have the default name. 

And we can drill into each power to see how much the procs went off. To my mind they're not great and if you've better choices for those slots use that those instead. But they will go off and I saw them happily finishing off enemies on my runs. (I can also tell you that the Oblit proc seems to be broken in Trip Mine and never goes off, possibly because the pet dies as part of the explosion). 

My personal slotting will probably end up as an Achilles (because -Res is the primary job of Acid Mortar), a Purple Proc and a 50+5 recharge but I'm still fiddling with it. 

image.thumb.png.3bf114682c32b4a3712c8717e23e23a8.pngimage.thumb.png.44c3bb8946a020d679958cb1da560c32.png

Edited by Carnifax