Do AoE Sleeps even serve a purpose in today's City of Heroes?

7 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Strangely enough, I took an Ice Dom in to Posi 2 just now and I was perplexed as to what was going on that my Sleep, Flash Freeze, was not knocking out toggles. Their bubbles were not knocked down a single time. I had it 3 slotted (only level 20 atm) with 2 Acc 1 Recharge. Not a single one of them dropped their toggles. I am wondering if Flash Freeze might be bugged, or if their bubbles now prevent sleeps? Something worth testing out because the experience was lacking. It made me regret picking up sleep on my Ice Dom.

It's entirely possible that you just missed the relevant targets every time you used Flash Freeze since the bubbles do provide +Defense and many of the earth powers (Earthquake, most notably) have -ToHit.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

1 minute ago, ForeverLaxx said:

It's entirely possible that you just missed the relevant targets every time you used Flash Freeze since the bubbles do provide +Defense and many of the earth powers (Earthquake, most notably) have -ToHit.

I did consider that, yet when I use my Mind Dom, it hits every time. Of course Mind uses Psionic Damage, which those bubbles provide zero defense to...so then there is that.

I'll take an AoE sleep over an AoE hold every time.  The way teams mow through stuff, an AoE hold is unnecessary, and if you're soloing, an AoE hold isn't up often enough to act as anything other than an OHSHI button.  An AoE sleep is available often enough to use as a tactic AND a passable panic button.  

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 6/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, Naraka said:

Nope.  It should literally be baked into the notoriety system at +3 or above.  If you'd want to opt out of rebalanced stronger foes, you turn your levels down.

I also made that suggestion.  Giving enemies abilities that raised their HP, def, res, damage, ToHit, etc via toggle-like powers so that you'd want to shut them down or decently improve team efficiency by shutting the powers off would be how I'd make sleeps better.  I'd also rebalance toggle dropping as a mechanic so that things like Holds and Stuns only have a chance of dropping toggles (maybe add a suppression mechanic that lowers/halves the effectiveness of their toggle powers when under such mez) while Sleep *will* shut off those toggles.

As usual we'll have to agree to strongly disagree.