Dark/Dark Squishy choices

Snarky

I am developing ideas for a character for a long term team project.  The team will start Goldside and at 20 start working through the wards.  This will be a sloooooow levelling team.  

First note:  There will be no Patron pools available.  So any suggestions should keep in mind Epic Pools only.

I am trying to choose between theses four Squishy ATs.  Corruptor, Defender, Dominator, or Controller.  

I have never played a Defender or Controller before.  I have a tiny bit of experience on Corruptors (although I am Blasting on a Dark/Dark main right now) and a moderate amount of experience with Dominators.  I understand most people think that especially after 40 Doms are a third wheel, but the team will be pre 40 for freaking ever and I still enjoy the playstyle even if just killing is faster.  Cruelty is fun.  

I think it's unanimous for controller.  One thing to keep in mind is to slot eligible primary powers like attacks: 1 Acc, EndRedux, and Recharge, and 3 Damage, not control duration.  Your controls only need to last long enough to chew through their HP, plus you'll be refreshing them with every attack.  It'll be sort of slow until you get your pets, but afterward you'll be out-damaging dominators.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

it will happen...just not for months and months lol.  We are finishing the red and blue crawls now.  at over 40 it is one level approx per session, once a week....

You know, I joined Homecoming almost a year ago and with the only exception of my two farmer builds that were powerleveled (I don't even use them anymore), I have yet to reach a single 50. 

My highest as of now is 41.

A healthy mix of taking my sweet time with everything and "OH I GOTTA TRY THIS ALT IDEA!"

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

You know, I joined Homecoming almost a year ago and with the only exception of my two farmer builds that were powerleveled (I don't even use them anymore), I have yet to reach a single 50. 

My highest as of now is 41.

A healthy mix of taking my sweet time with everything and "OH I GOTTA TRY THIS ALT IDEA!"

I would 50 on live (and here) pretty organically.  I like to try new things.  To me this does not equal doorsitting.  So.... 4 DFBs, A Posi 1, 2. Synapse, Yin, etc.  preferably in order and including as many Redside SF PUGs as I could.  Then at 35+ ITF and anything that let me use my toon and not doorsit.  I also prefer the ITF for opening Incarnate Powers up fast.  I usually 50 that way in a few days and then play a week or two with the built out 50 to see if I like it.  

This is why I am so bitchy on the boards about PUGs.  Why the F are you running a POSI at +anything?  I've done this a million times.  You think you are getting more experience.  you are, at a MUCH SLOWER RATE.  I'm freaking trying to level here.  It's like people doing 50 in the fast lane.  What are you doing?  "going fast!"  You're doing 50....  "But I'm in the FAST lane!"  *facepalm

Edited by Snarky

I much prefer the Dark/Dark Controller vs the Dark/Dark Dominator.  There are a lot of good powers to choose from and it can make slots really tight for the Dominator.  The Controller is in a similar boat, but the Dark Miasma variant is so good it is hard to ignore.  Plus, the Controller gets Dark Servant to compliment Haunt and Umbra Beast.  It really has that whole shadow constructs vibe going for it.  

Dark/Dark Defenders are great too if not maybe a bit of overkill on to-hit debuffing.   That is a combo I think can work for Corruptors where some of the AoE boost in Scourge may be worth the trade in debuff potential.  Hard to go wrong with either though as Dark Miasma is just a great powerset no matter what AT it is on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I would 50 on live (and here) pretty organically.  I like to try new things.  To me this does not equal doorsitting.  So.... 4 DFBs, A Posi 1, 2. Synapse, Yin, etc.  preferably in order and including as many Redside SF PUGs as I could.  Then at 35+ ITF and anything that let me use my toon and not doorsit.  I also prefer the ITF for opening Incarnate Powers up fast.  I usually 50 that way in a few days and then play a week or two with the built out 50 to see if I like it.  

This is why I am so bitchy on the boards about PUGs.  Why the F are you running a POSI at +anything?  I've done this a million times.  You think you are getting more experience.  you are, at a MUCH SLOWER RATE.  I'm freaking trying to level here.  It's like people doing 50 in the fast lane.  What are you doing?  "going fast!"  You're doing 50....  "But I'm in the FAST lane!"  *facepalm

I think I did a POSI once. Dunno which one.  I did a Striga TF too back on live, and the Terra Volta respec.  That's it. 

I have hundreds and thousands of hours of CoH/V behind me and I don't think I've seen 10% of the game. I have no idea what an ITF is. I have never seen a Cimerroan (sp?). AV?  That's Dr Vahz and the Clockwork King. Right?  Waddya mean there's more?? 

I need to make more friends.

11 minutes ago, oldskool said:

Dark/Dark Defenders are great too if not maybe a bit of overkill on to-hit debuffing.   That is a combo I think can work for Corruptors where some of the AoE boost in Scourge may be worth the trade in debuff potential.

This. I have one of each. Solo, they kill about the same, though Scourge is obviously very nice for helping finish off foes already near-ish defeat. On a team, the Corr tends to shine more in combat since their damage doesn't trail off with team size. The Defender is noticeably more survivable, however.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aeroprism said:

I think I did a POSI once. Dunno which one.  I did a Striga TF too back on live, and the Terra Volta respec.  That's it. 

I have hundreds and thousands of hours of CoH/V behind me and I don't think I've seen 10% of the game. I have no idea what an ITF is. I have never seen a Cimerroan (sp?). AV?  That's Dr Vahz and the Clockwork King. Right?  Waddya mean there's more?? 

I need to make more friends.

Not sure what server you are on, but on Indom there is a dedicated TF LFG channel created by players.  The server forums may have something similar.  Those can be really nice to have.  If I see someone making a TF team there, I can just say "me me" and off I go.  

I don't even have friends. 😛 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldskool said:

Not sure what server you are on, but on Indom there is a dedicated TF LFG channel created by players.  The server forums may have something similar.  Those can be really nice to have.  If I see someone making a TF team there, I can just say "me me" and off I go.  

I don't even have friends. 😛 

If you mean friends list neither do i.  People randomly ask me to be their friend sometimes.  I am like sure and accept.  Never use it not really sure how dont care

i finally broke down and joined an SG with discord.  A good decision. I am learning a lot and getting a badge addiction.  You can do well to get in with a solod group that can run content.  I have a couple people i respect there now and one or two i chat with casually.  Is that a friend?   They havent given me money yet so i am thinking not.  

ps.  If YOU want to give me Infamy i gladly accept @Snarky

I had a couple abandoned dark dark set up in high 20s.  I took a Dark/Dark Corruptor and PLd him to low 30s for more slots and rebuilt him.  Then took him on a couple posi And a synapse.  I am coming off a Blaster (dark/dark) and the thing felt...awkward. My job function seems undefined

i took a Dark Dark Dom and did the same. Now obviously i miss the Blaster damage.  But wow is my job defined.  I was quite surprised that the PB AoE stun was so large and so effective. Even without Dom up you hit the buff gather shadows and get a ton of damage mitigation.  The cone Fear is dam solid too.  I was worried about not getting AoE hold until mid 20s but it felt good. Of course Gold side is rougher.  I mained a Dark Dark Brute from Oct until i just switched to the Blaster.  I took the stun and fear auras on him that a lot of people skip.  They are good mitigation there and real good mitigation here

i will continue these two through the TFs and 50 them. I may try the same with a Controller. Probably will to see the difference. But i really am liking the Dom. I would like tar patch though