Hibernate suggestion, Icy Bastions bigger brother.

Ratch_

Pending t9 armor set reworks, and having seen the drastic experiences in Icy Bastion vs Hibernate...well I am very jealous that a tanker and brute does not get Icy Bastion.

So I got to thinking and had this idea on what could be a small, yet simple improvement while also not changing the power in it's entirety. Afterall, being encased in a block of ice is pretty unique.

The power I looked to for inspiration was none other than Reaction Time. The sustain in Martial Combat for Blasters. This power has a small feature of when disabled (detoggled), you will receive a boost to recharge rate and move speed. What if we applied this same style of tech to hibernate?

The idea is that you activate Hibernate like normal, no behavior is changed here. When you detoggle the power, then some of the regen and recovery will permeate from the power for 30s ableit at a lower amount. Using Icy Bastion as a reference I was thinking numbers along the line of

Hibernate (toggled) -> +1000% Regeneration / +400% Recovery
   - On detoggle -> +400% Regeneration / +200% Recovery for 30s.

This would let you quickly toggle and detoggle the power so it's still useful in circumstances that you don't need to absolutely just withdraw from combat, while also still providing that option. Even though the base recharge of this power is 120s, you can't get it perma because you have to wait out the noPhase time of 120s. Thoughts?

Something of note, with 170% global recharge (pretty common for those chasing perma levels of hasten) and 95% recharge slotted in Icy Bastion it has 30s uptime and 52s downtime. If Hibernate was added 30s of Regen/Recov then it would have a 30s uptime with a 90s downtime (or less if the no phase timer gets reduced). Just some food for thought, and this doesn't even consider that Icy Bastion provides 37.5% resistance to all types with the exception of Psionic. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like this idea. There’s a massive inequality between the two powers and this could address that without toeing the cottage rule line. Not gonna comment on the exact numbers but like where your head’s at here.

• Like 2

I assume this would only be for Tankers and Brutes and wouldn't affect the Epic versions of Hibernate?  Would be kind of silly to have both Icy Bastion and this reworked Hibernate on my Scrapper (Levi Mastery has it for Scrapper/Stalker).

It seems like a good idea though.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

For brutes or tanks, it will need a modification.  Its just too powerful on paper Mids theory if playing a scrapper which is something I have been looking at, can almost cap out resist or massive regen.  It's not Willpower levels of regen buts enough to make Regeneration cry because of that short recharge and that Ice armor gets +hit points and native lethal/smashing defense on top. 

The tl;dr - it would be too good on a brute or tank, avoid about 80% of damage in game, increase hit points for anything that gets through, and low recharge to pop that kickass T9.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Yea, this is purely for Brutes and Tankers.

Stalkers & Scrappers get the exact same amount of Regen/Recovery as what I am proposing..hell even at a better frequency. If this change would occur, we'd essentially be trading the high resist offered in Icy Bastion with an Intangible 30s self toggle hold that basically is just a rest you can use in combat.

This change to the t9 in particular i feel is far from being OP, as it has a 90 second downtime. I'm just looking for some power level equaling between the newer t9 with the existing older one.

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ratch_ said:

Hibernate (toggled) -> +1000% Regeneration / +400% Recovery
   - On detoggle -> +400% Regeneration / +200% Recovery for 30s.

+200% recovery for 30s is kind of a lot.  I don't remember Hibernate's current cooldown / if that could be perma-able (flash of Hiberate the immediate detoggle to keep the +Recharge going) but the devs would want to factor in whether or not they'd want that to be possible. 

So much like @arcane. I like the idea. Not willing to commit to precise numbers.  Very good brainstormy idea though.

10 minutes ago, MTeague said:

+200% recovery for 30s is kind of a lot.  I don't remember Hibernate's current cooldown / if that could be perma-able (flash of Hiberate the immediate detoggle to keep the +Recharge going) but the devs would want to factor in whether or not they'd want that to be possible. 

Hibernate is subject to the NoPhase debuff.  Regardless of how much recharge you have, you can't use it for 120 seconds after turning it off or it turning itself off after 30 seconds on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

11 hours ago, Ratch_ said:

The power I looked to for inspiration was none other than Reaction Time. The sustain in Martial Combat for Blasters. This power has a small feature of when disabled (detoggled), you will receive a boost to recharge rate and move speed. What if we applied this same style of tech to hibernate?

Not arguing that Hibernoob needs some help..but I totally HATE the way reaction time works. From a logical standpoint, how does turning OFF a power that makes you react faster..give you +rech? The +rech should be built in (look at Rad Assault and how OP their sustain is, it basically does everything at once).

Mechanics wise, it is even more stupid and annoying, as no other power in the game works that way.

59 minutes ago, MTeague said:

So much like @arcane. I like the idea. Not willing to commit to precise numbers.  Very good brainstormy idea though.

200% is exactly what icy bastion has which is where I'm pulling in those exact numbers from. I'm open to adjustments as well though.

What Zork said is true, like i mentioned in the post

If Hibernate was added 30s of Regen/Recov then it (the added portion) would have a 30s uptime with a 90s downtime (or less if the no phase timer gets reduced).

• Like 3

What I've learned from this thread is that Icy Bastion and its status as best T9 armor power is not well known/understood 😉

For reference, Icy Bastion for Stalker/Scrapper is: +37.5% Resist to all but Psi, +400% Regen, +200% recovery, +status protection to everything (essentially max all). 30s duration, 300s recharge, no crash. With decent slotting and global recharge it becomes 'cap all resists' and as Ratch mentioned, is available about 30% of the time.

I haven't played a Brute/Tanker with Ice Armor to max yet (it is on the list!) so can't comment on the exacts, but Hibernate always seemed very underwhelming and extremely narrow situational use? But also that situational use exists in theory, vs many other sets T9s being made redundant by the sets themselves. 

I like this idea of a lingering effect after turning the ice block off. It carries some risk/reward play, if you pop it early when otherwise safe for the buff, you lose the safety net ability during the cooldown, but if you use it in an emergency, lets you pop out early with benefit and be of more immediate use to the team.

• Like 1

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

19 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

From a logical standpoint, how does turning OFF a power that makes you react faster..give you +rech?

One possibility is that it builds up a reservoir of adrenalin as the power continues, then dumps it into your system when it turns off.

30 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

One possibility is that it builds up a reservoir of adrenalin as the power continues, then dumps it into your system when it turns off.

Ok, I could buy that. lol. But the power still works in a clunky, stupid way. Maybe if it had a recharge of ZERO..so you could detoggle, get the buff, retoggle, all in one go. That would still be painful.