Limited Epic Power Pools available on my Ill/Dark troller

Nostromo21

Just hit 35, yay me, went to level up & instead of seeing these options to pick a EPP:

• Fire Mastery
  • Ice Mastery
  • Primal Forces Mastery
  • Psionic Mastery
  • Stone Mastery
  • Leviathan Mastery
  • Mace Mastery
  • Mu Mastery
  • Soul Mastery

I only get these:

• Stone
  • Fire
  • Ice
  • Primal
  • Psionic

Anyone know why...? Or is this a Homecoming custom limitation...? Or will I have more pools to pick from & respec into later perhaps?

Sorry if this is obvious, CoH newb here, first time I'm levelling to 50 since EPPs have existed probably.

On that note, what do you recommend for this build as the best EPP/powers? I don't have any direct damage AOE skills, which I guess Fire would be good for? If I want another uber-pet, Soul Mastery maybe (if I can get it)? All the Mids build files I've looked at use Mace Mastery, not sure why, again, assuming I can even pick it, eh. Much TIA! 😉

-------------

Nm, as I said, newb alert - this page explains the extra mission I need to do DOH!:

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Ancillary_power_pool#Controller_and_dominator

Although would still appreciate any advice the best choice for Ill/Dark troller...

Edited by Nostromo21

Game over man, game over!

11 minutes ago, Nostromo21 said:

Just hit 35, yay me, went to level up & instead of seeing these options to pick a EPP:

• Fire Mastery
  • Ice Mastery
  • Primal Forces Mastery
  • Psionic Mastery
  • Stone Mastery
  • Leviathan Mastery
  • Mace Mastery
  • Mu Mastery
  • Soul Mastery

I only get these:

• Stone
  • Fire
  • Ice
  • Primal
  • Psionic

Anyone know why...? Or is this a Homecoming custom limitation...? Or will I have more pools to pick from & respec into later perhaps?

Sorry if this is obvious, CoH newb here, first time I'm levelling to 50 since EPPs have existed probably.

On that note, what do you recommend for this build as the best EPP/powers? I don't have any direct damage AOE skills, which I guess Fire would be good for? If I want another uber-pet, Soul Mastery maybe (if I can get it)? All the Mids build files I've looked at use Mace Mastery, not sure why, again, assuming I can even pick it, eh. Much TIA! 😉

You have to go redside (rogue or villain) and run the arc in Grandville that unlocks the Villain epic pools. You can go to Null the Gull in Pocket D to change your alignment. I recommend running the Black Scorpion arc

• Like 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

The last four pools require a red-side badge.  They're called Patron Power Pools, if you want to research it.  Many MIDS builds use Mace because it has a SLE defense armor.  For Ill/Dark, probably Fire is the best.  Good resistance armor, good AOE attack.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, you're the best! Yeah I read up more about it, so all clear now...I think a pet like the Seer from SM would fit the char theme best, but I'll start with fire & see how I go. As mentioned, would really like more aoe direct dmg, build is so safe now with the pets + debuffs, I can take on most packs of purples and some reds, eh.

Edited by Nostromo21
  • Thumbs Up 1

Game over man, game over!

Psi also a great pool for illusion/dark.  It has both a resistance shield and a defense power (if you need another spot for a LoTG).  That defense power also is a mez protection power and I found I still got mezzed enough otherwise against certain enemies to be annoying even with all the safety ill/dark has.  With it, no need for destiny clarion and I can definitely freely go with ageless instead (more +recharge for an illusion controller, yes thank you)

The AoE attack isn't as good as fireball, but it gets the job done and actually has a bigger radius and faster recharge than most of the epic aoe attacks.   Probably the biggest downside is just that it is yet more psi damage so phantasm and arcane bolt (and incarnates) is my only real source of non-psi damage when fighting the 10 million robots the high level game likes to throw at you.