Suggest me a Scrapper!

StriderIV

Hi all!

I'm looking for a great, all around Scrapper that can 4x8 endgame content when built out and allow me to put the hurting on AV's! I've rolled one scrapper so far, a DM/Shield. While very strong, I've also run several Shield Defense Tankers and I'm just looking for something a bit different!

I was thinking maybe Claws or Katana matched up with /Bio or /Energy Aura. Both seem like they could be well rounded. That being said, I know there is a lot of awesome stuff out there! If anyone has any power set combos they'd like to recommend, or builds to share, I'd love to hear/see them!

I'm running EM/Shield and it's crushing everything so far (lvl 45). EM/Bio I'm sure is a powerhouse just because Bio always is. Claws is always a good choice too, it has all your single target, aoe, and mitigation, so it pairs with everything and keeps your pool/epic choices open for whatever you want. Of the 2 EM is probably better for AV's it just brings all the damage, and claws will keep entire mobs on their butts until they die.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rickson said:

I'm running EM/Shield and it's crushing everything so far (lvl 45). EM/Bio I'm sure is a powerhouse just because Bio always is. Claws is always a good choice too, it has all your single target, aoe, and mitigation, so it pairs with everything and keeps your pool/epic choices open for whatever you want. Of the 2 EM is probably better for AV's it just brings all the damage, and claws will keep entire mobs on their butts until they die.

Yeah that makes sense! It seems EM/Bio would be THE premiere single  target killer and , ahem, “arrest” AV’s the best. Claws probably has much better AOE though and will clear mobs faster.

Mace has Crowd Control, which is labelled as a cone, but is pretty much just everything in front of you. Not a small cone by any means.

Shatter also sort of has a line AoE, but it's a bit finnicky - it goes 'through' enemies, so you might sometimes whallop a guy behind your target. Whirling Mace PBAoE is pretty basic but gets the job done.

Crowd Control though... the sheer level of CRUNCH is incredibly satisfying. Between that and Clobber, a super high DPA attack, Mace pretty much hits like a stream train going full speed.

• Like 1

Mace has good aoe I'd say, although it comes late, so be aware of that if you want an exemping character.  The really good aoe is at 32.

I know a lot of people that love bio and seem to make it work.  Personally it always felt a little too squishy for my taste, even after a decent amount of IO's.   Maybe at end game when it is really all maxed with IO's and incarnate it works out.  I feel like I have a much sturdier character on the way up (since I don't power level or farm) with a lot of other secondary's.   

Have to say energy aura is my new favorite secondary.  I have both a dm/energy and a war mace/energy at 50 and both are great.   The only knock I usually see about energy aura is just the cosmetic one that its stealth cloak hides your character (when not attacking).  So, you kind of end up looking like a stalker. 🙂 Be aware if that is an issue for you.

• Like 1

having both claws and mace bio i would go claws infact if only i could play claws with that "new" feeling again having allmost every bio scrapper claws/bio is by far my favorite combo they all work but claws is something else has a fluidity only katana can match and unlike katana it has great aoe to boot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

Mace has good aoe I'd say, although it comes late, so be aware of that if you want an exemping character.  The really good aoe is at 32.

I know a lot of people that love bio and seem to make it work.  Personally it always felt a little too squishy for my taste, even after a decent amount of IO's.   Maybe at end game when it is really all maxed with IO's and incarnate it works out.  I feel like I have a much sturdier character on the way up (since I don't power level or farm) with a lot of other secondary's.   

Have to say energy aura is my new favorite secondary.  I have both a dm/energy and a war mace/energy at 50 and both are great.   The only knock I usually see about energy aura is just the cosmetic one that its stealth cloak hides your character (when not attacking).  So, you kind of end up looking like a stalker. 🙂 Be aware if that is an issue for you.

Great call out about EA on a Scrapper!

54 minutes ago, PainX said:

having both claws and mace bio i would go claws infact if only i could play claws with that "new" feeling again having allmost every bio scrapper claws/bio is by far my favorite combo they all work but claws is something else has a fluidity only katana can match and unlike katana it has great aoe to boot

Claws does seem to do it all. Bio seems like it can just ramp up it’s strength.

2 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Claws does seem to do it all. Bio seems like it can just ramp up it’s strength.

essentialy yes claws is the the star here bio just does the same to any primary give more damage leaves some defensive holes like not exactly amazing exotic damage resists no DDR just a great big pile of damage and a prayer towards not getting insta nuked feared or confused

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DB or Claws (paired with anything other than regen) is going to be your best mechanically. DB will put out more ST DPS, but claws will be really close ST DPS wise but do noticeably more AOE. Your best DPS wise for a secondary is Bio Armor in offensive (who plays bio in other modes other than staff melee). There might be better secondaries based on your preferences. Now, you can't pair DB or Claws with SD, so that is where EM and WM come back in to play. I can TOTALLY vouch for WM/SD being an amazing combo.

Scrapper     EM/BIO/MB              1:23 (post nerf)
Scrapper     DB/BIO/MB               1:25 (post nerf) 1:21 (pre-nerf)
Scrapper     WM/BIO/MB              1:31 (post nerf)
Scrapper     CLAWS/BIO/MB         1:32 (post nerf) 1:26 (pre-nerf)

Those are my own personal ST Pylon times (those aren't best, those are averages). WM is freaking AWESOME but doesn't hold a candle to claws soft-cc in ST or AOE.

Edited by SomeGuy
holy crap I can't grammar today
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SomeGuy said:

DB or Claws (paired with anything other than regen) is going to be your best mechanically. DB will put out more ST DPS, but claws will be really close ST DPS wise but do noticeably more AOE. Your best DPS wise for a secondary is Bio Armor in offensive (who plays bio in other modes other than staff melee). There might be better secondaries based on your preferences. Now, you can't pair DB or Claws with SD, so that is where EM and WM come back in to play. I can TOTALLY vouch for WM/SD being an amazing combo.

Scrapper     EM/BIO/MB              1:23 (post nerf)
Scrapper     DB/BIO/MB               1:25 (post nerf) 1:21 (pre-nerf)
Scrapper     WM/BIO/MB              1:31 (post nerf)
Scrapper     CLAWS/BIO/MB         1:32 (post nerf) 1:26 (pre-nerf)

Those are my own personal ST Pylon times (those aren't best, those are averages). WM is freaking AWESOME but doesn't hold a candle to claws soft-cc in ST or AOE.

Thanks so much man! I've run EM/EA, which is a ton of fun. Might switch it up from that. Both Dual Blades and Claws look amazing. Would you recommend one over the other, or are they pretty evenly matched?

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

You forgot +Whirlwind.

which AT has /Whirlwind powerset ?  Is that like Blasters? *gust of wind* FACEPLANT! type thing?  Any blaster could go toe to toe with Thanos and win, until they go up against a stiff breeze blowing by.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

22 hours ago, PainX said:

if it becomes too much just pick up flurry to

I actually remember before issue 4 taking Air Superiority on my Claws scrapper. My DPS was crap, but whatever I was hitting was constantly flopping on to it's back.

Ice melee/pick one  I did shield but now you are a scrap troller laying down ice patch and doing what ever you want

• Like 1

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

2 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

I actually remember before issue 4 taking Air Superiority on my Claws scrapper. My DPS was crap, but whatever I was hitting was constantly flopping on to it's back.

well flurry does about half the DPA of air sup 3.3 second animation baby 34 damage whats not to like