Market crashing the game?

Without_Pause

Game has crashed on me three times in the past two days including twice this morning while using the market. Anyone else having the game crash while using the market?

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

It has never happened to me, but...

... the game client does have a peculiar handshake such that when a player is interacting with 'storage' elements, game behavior is 'odd'. I typically see this if I have pulled an ehancement catalyst from a (salvage) storage place and catalyze an enhancement and get and error... it is as if the client is trying to put the enhancement into the storage rack. I have long suspected that some fraction of folks reporting issues with "failed respecs" (unrelated to untrained levels) is because they were interacting with some sort of SG storage item.

I didn't bother investigating this particular AH "warning" message I recently encountered: I was getting an AH alert to the effect that "storage is full" when trying to dump some extra salvage into the AH. My character's pockets were not full, nor did I have enough in the AH (bids won/placed, pending sales, unclaimed inf, stored items) to have come close to the limits. The salvage still made it into the AH (despite the warning) so I just shrugged and kept going. I tend to only investigate when things go wrong, so I cannot even remember the circumstances, except that I obviously was not on an instanced map.

4 hours ago, Ukase said:

Anecdotally, this used to happen to me when I was by the SG portal in Talos. Soon as I got 50 feet or so away, it stopped happening. But that was over a year ago. 

Same, but this time in RWZ

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

Changed things up so it might not be about being near a base. Game is crashing about once a day or so when using the market.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

I'm sure that using the AH interface puts a big strain on computing resources.  Has anything changed from your end as far as your computing demands?  Are you running with more apps open than usual?

I don't recall ever having the game crash on me while using the market.  It's probably happened, but not frequently enough for me to notice that it was while I was using the market.

Who run Bartertown?

Win 10. Next week I am off and will try to get another 8 GB if RAM in as my laptop is only at 8 GB now. I have looked at seeing about using too many resources, but I tend to run it without anything else running. I haven't been dual boxing during the crashes and I use a separate laptop anyway. Normal gaming and certain maps can give my graphs issues. Not looking to buy a new PC, but my next one will definitely be better at handling CoH. It's odd that I had never seen the game crash and get the follow up screen like I have been getting since this issue started and I've played CoH for like 9 years. FYI, I crashed three times yesterday, so it has to be on my end.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

I've been seeing something consistent with client crashes involving the market, and am able to reproduce the crash at will now. I've submitted several minidumps and described what I'm seeing. The crash seems to be caused not directly by anything you're doing in-game, but other processes you may have running at the same time.

I first noticed it when I updated to the latest and greatest MIDS Reborn and had it open on the screen beside where I run CoH. I got 3 or 4 crashes in a row when trying to claim auction wins from the market. Closed MIDS Reborn, and the crashes stopped; I messed around in the market for hours and hours over the next several days without a crash. I've also seen the same sort of crashes happen when I had a second instance of CoH running in background by mistake. Found that out the other day when I minimized a window at the character select screen to go get lunch, and forgot it was running when I came back.

I've no idea what it means, but it seems to be consistent. I can market to my heart's content with a browser or my security camera viewer or Messenger running on another screen, but fire up MIDS Reborn and pretty much a guaranteed crash within an attempt or two when I try to claim stuff from the auction. See if that information helps; most of us don't immediately think of interference from another app being the culprit any more. I may still be wrong, and it's entirely possible that only my particular combination of drivers & hardware has this issue, but I'm convinced enough at this point I won't fire up MIDS Reborn if I am logged in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Limiting my already guarded posting both here & discord. Just too toxic for my tastes, & the mods do not seem to care.

https://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/3066

On 9/15/2021 at 1:38 PM, Luminara said:

When's the last time you cleaned out the CPU and GPU heatsinks and air channels?  Sudden and frequent crashing can be a sign of something overheating.

I haven't ever done it. My personal laptop runs rather cool when running it, and I've had my work laptop run a lot hotter, and it has a SSD and more RAM. Again, I don't run apps in the background. I did a scan of my laptop and working on updating drivers as well.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

• 2 weeks later

I'm not surprised (and not unbiased, see below) to read that (modern) MIDS is misbehaving and causing issues. I'm not knocking the hard effort that is in it, but the times when I've tried to install and use it (on my 64-bit system) if always felt like it was using too many diverse resources (video, memory, etc.) for what it ought to have needed (my casual assessment, but if I can watch local video and edit audio while running CoX I feel like MIDS should work without issue). My bias against it became deeply ingrained when it was literally the program I (reinstalled) on an older HDD before the PCB of the HDD smoked. The HDD was older, but it actually smoked at the point of the install/launch of MIDS.

This is absolutely anecdote, but I'm not a luddite when it comes to software design. Is there an architecture document for MIDS that details the interfaces of the software with system (and network) resources?