Macros: where are they?

Shenanigunner

In another discussion, the notion of managing macros came up. It occurred to me I'd never searched for the files that have to be somewhere in the client folder structure.

Nothing obvious found.

Where the hell ARE macros stored?

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Just now, GraspingVileTerror said:

On your character in the game servers.

No sh*t... this ONE facet is not stored client-side? No wonder no one's ever developed a manager.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I was suprised when i logged in on the laptop and my macros were there.  Ive heard that even when you delete them, they are still stored server side and show back up when u respec.  But i cant verify that since i hate having to respec and only have macros on a few characters.

4 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

Only the ones already in your tray will come back after respec.

I respec alot and I make a lot of macros. if they all ones I messed up and removed came back after a respec, I would need more trays.

I had to double check that (on test) since I remembered them coming back - but I don't have a lot of characters with macros.

That said, another place they don't show up is a second build, which means there's another place having a "macros" window where they can persist and move to and from would be nice.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

8 hours ago, TheZag said:

But i cant verify that since i hate having to respec and only have macros on a few characters.

I usually try to avoid respec'ing. I even go with some character "flavour" mistakes if they happen, and they aren't really penalizing mistakes. But, yeah, respec'ing is a pain.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that X number of people don't use macros.

As soon zone into THE CITY with a new character I load on 5 macros. A Heal insp one I load twice. Primary tray flips between tray 1 and tray 2. And a follow and auction house sort of because I'm lazy, but more so for the follow as I use that in my active tray on melee characters.

With the exception of the auction house macro, the macros make it easier to play with a controller as the macros I use help eliminate a large amount of keyboard contact based on the way that I play.

I usually end up adding in at least 2 or more costume macros when I hit the Icon - which tends to be either almost immediately or before the character gets to level 10.

When the character starts teaming a lot, I end up adding in Gratz, Woot, and Thanks macros.

I have over 100 characters and had set-up methods before the shutdown to make all the characters basically play the same way regardless of archetype to make it easier when jumping from character to character. The tray are set up so they all operate basically the same with some minor differences that I have other tray related methods to deal with.

But back to the macros, the costumes aren't stored on the client side either are they?

I mean- unless you manually save them through the taylor yourself.

I know that if you manually save them though the taylor that they are still there as I was able to port those files in when I started playing Homecoming.

It would kind of cool though to have a "default macro" folder that would automatically upload those default macros to your character during character creation. Well, it would at least be cool to me.

But then I would also like to "fix" many of the Nul the Gull potions through the options or simply have many of the Gull's questions asked during character creation instead of having to run to Nul the Gull because of one or another of the annoying things that Nul the Gull is there to solve.

Edited by UltraAlt
Ranting because I'm just waking up from a nap

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.