How many people get the Arena and PvP defeat badges by multi-boxing?

Zhym

How did you get your Arena and PvP defeats badges?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. If your badger got the Arena and PvP defeats badges, how did they get them?

• Arena duels and PvP zone fights with strangers
    • Arena duels and PvP zone fights with friends, SG mates, etc.
    • Multiboxing

I've gotten my badger to the point where he has almost all the badges except the event badges (really looking forward to Halloween and the Winter Event) and most of the PvP badges: specifically, the Arena badges and the ones for personally defeating other players (Forward Observer, Reinforcement, and Disruptor).  It has me wondering: if you have a badger who got these badges, how did you get them?  My guess is that most people just multibox, but are there lots of people who arrange duels or stalk the PvP zones for kills?  And for those who didn't multibox, were the fights actual competitions, or were they badge-focused agreements to beat each other up enough times to get the badge?

Edited by Zhym

I didn't vote because I've used both methods 2 and 3.

For the part 2 reply - "or were they badge-focused agreements to beat each other up enough times to get the badge?"

Yes.  Basically a round robin beatdown back when the badge requirement was 400 points of PvP rep.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I didn't vote because I've used both methods 2 and 3.

The poll doesn’t really matter (I’m more interested in the discussion anyway), but FWIW I set it up to allow picking multiple answers.  I guess I could have said that in the poll, huh?

The arena just sucks. The interface is very glitchy.

I have had the match starts glitch out a number of times.

I only torture my SG mates for the ones I cannot do by myself, pentad and swiss draw.

As for PvP zones, on Excelsior only badgers like me visit.

The very rare time a PvPer shows up, everyone leaves because we know they have a specialized build.

It's no fun fighting against a PvP build with your PvE build.

3 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

As for PvP zones, on Excelsior only badgers like me visit.

The very rare time a PvPer shows up, everyone leaves because we know they have a specialized build.

True fact. 

I got the Signature Villain and Hero defeat badges when I lucked into an actual RV team on Excelsior.  I managed to get the rest of the way to Back From the Future and Temporal Soldier by sneaking into Recluse's Victory in off hours and taking down a pillbox or three at a time.  I got ganked a handful of times doing that, mostly before I learned to have the Heavy attack first and keep an eye out for the gankers' favorite times to attack (usually, right after I'd destroyed all the turrets and was stuck in place trying to claim the pillbox).   I tried going toe-to-toe with the attackers once or twice.  It...didn't work out.  After that, I got really good at running away.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:31 PM, Zhym said:

The poll doesn’t really matter (I’m more interested in the discussion anyway), but FWIW I set it up to allow picking multiple answers.  I guess I could have said that in the poll, huh?

Eh.  I actually clicked on it and saw that it allowed multiple selections, but I figured it confuses the results and a detailed post would be more useful.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Found it!

Good source! There was more from @Spiderin the post so I thought I would add it to this one:

Pentad Victor 

• Win a rated or unrated Pentad or Septad match in the Arena
  • Minimum 10 players 
  • Misc: Custom Pentads negate the need for specific ATs
  • Post event info for future:
    • Image below for correct settings.  
    • The first match was incorrectly set. Original participants had to zone to SG base and then back to Pocket D for invite to go through.
    • Badge awarded to entire winning team.
    • Also, if Arena window incorrectly shows 6 vrs 4 then you can select "Freeform Teams" to adjust # of red and # of blue (2 teams of 5) and then return setting to "Custom Pentad" before beginning match. 
    • Coliseum is a nice map for this! No hunting around! Cage would have maybe felt crowded.
    • Although it is true that Custom Pentad does not require specific ATs, the arena window will sometimes not allow for some players to be moved between teams once invited (sometimes it did, for one person it would not). Just stick with Custom and run it one more time for anyone stuck on the wrong team too many times.
    • For me, the  match needed "start" to be clicked twice. 

Specific AT's are not required if using the Custom Pentad selection. Custom does sometimes still have buggy issues, but is an easier set up. 

Arena Custom Pentad.jpg

As for the buggy Swiss Draw:

Updating my original notes. Have run this many times. It isn't really a pita except the wait time. A few extra details:

• This can be a lengthy time commitment. I tell everyone up front. Probably because custom pentads are so fast, some might assume this is as well. It's 3 rounds for only 1 winner. 8 badgers = 24 rounds. 
  • 8 *bodies* minimum needed. Easily, one can grab spouse / 2nd accounts to fill if needed. If 16 show up, run 2 teams with 2 hosts. If 12 show up, just ask 4 to wait and then excuse the first 4 winners after they badge. 
  • The host does all the work: sets matches, selects winner in advance, sends reminders, etc. When I had groups in voice, it was super simple. Groups in text were ok, but sometimes it felt like a lot more poking. If running in text, I preferred everyone wait at the battle terminals so I could "see" them as they exit and re-enter rounds. 
  • Remind everyone to drop toggles, which saves time on matches (except the designated winner). 
  • Remind self (host) to use Cage match map. This allows us to immediately see who we are placed inside a round with. If I forget and leave it on random map, they can look at the mini map. Iirc, the hover tells them who their challenge partner is. Or yell in broadcast. Or play hide and seek... haha. no. that is a time waster on 24 rounds.
    • Though I use Coliseum map for custom pentads. It's just prettier and larger. The teams go in and immediately see one another. 
  • I like to announce the winner in advance of each run (1 run = 3 rounds).  It's buggy and time consuming, so it's not a bad idea to keep everyone on the same page. 
    • Local chat: "Heroid is winner of this run for all 3 rounds. If you are teleported inside and face to face with anyone OTHER THAN him/her, please exit the map. You may click on SCOR to exit. If you are inside the cage match with Heroid, surrender yourself to sweet death. Do NOT kill the badger. Thank you."
    • By the 3rd run, I'm just yelling "Fidessa is the winner. Dont kill her. Thanks." 
    • I'm old fashioned and keep a handwritten list of who already badged. I take 2nd alt badgers last as a courtesy to those who only badge 1 character. 
    • Invite the designated winner first! By default, you as the host will be Place # 1. That places the designated winner / first invitee in Place # 2. 
      • Wait to ensure the designated winner has accepted the invitation and is showing in the arena screen before inviting the others. 
      • I like to invite someone who also does not yet have the badge as 2nd invitee, Place # 3. This way, if something bugs, at least both potential places needed the badge anyway. 
  • Yes, exiting early does sometimes change how the 2nd and 3rd rounds work. Sometimes, those advancing find themselves inside the match with no sparring partner. This is fine. The rounds will continue and the designated winner will still badge. 
  • Following the first and 2nd rounds, at least one person (the designated winner) should see a text announcement. Something like "Round 2 begins in 2 minutes". Sometimes they dont. Iirc, it's 2 minutes. So if no one is whooshed inside in 3 minutes, it's possible the run is completely bugged. This has only happened to us once in many many runs so I don't worry about it. Some designated winners swear they never saw the countdown message and still get whooshed inside the map for the next round. 
  • What happens when the designated winner is whooshed inside a round with no one to kill? Just wait. Stand there and wait. They'll badge. Though, if they are inside the match with someone in round 2 and 3, I prefer they kill the toggle-less sacrificial lamb. 

I like to run Pentad before Swiss Draw. 

Arena Swiss Draw.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I only have the one badger and wound up multiboxing for most of the badges for defeats, but did a bunch with friends.

Still need to do the the ones that need more than a few players.

I'm just not much for PvP stuff.

Thanks Glacier, was just going to look for that!

Edited by lemming
Thanking the work of GP!
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, lemming said:

Still need to do the the ones that need more than a few players.

So do I.  If anyone who actually knows how the annoying arena badges work wants to set up a run for the badges, I'd be in (and I have 3 accounts).