Save the art exhibit and other similar missions

Wavicle

They're broken even more than that. On the missions where you have to save several items, they're always stacked at different 'depths' on the map. So you enter the mission, proceed until you find the first item you have to save, and defend it, then move deeper into the map to find the next, and clear the mobs around it... then the ambushes coming to attack it don't show up, because they spawn at the mission entrance and get 'distracted' by the first item you saved, destroying it before either heading in further or just milling around aimlessly.

The items you have to protect need to vanish after you successfully defend them so they don't screw up the AI of subsequent spawns (figuring that doing that is simpler than reworking the mob AI).

• Like 1

Maybe the best way to fix these is to make the goals team-size dependent. If you're solo or two-ing, the items go inert after you save them. As the team gets bigger, strategy requires that you leave one or two mates to guard each one until the mission is completed.

Missions that don't simply cater to one big brawling mob of 'eroes are much more interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I like that these pieces are easily destroyed. Makes me think of a bull in an antique store where everything is destroyed easily because the bull is so powerful. I just can't suspend disbelief if a canvas painting or clay pottery doesn't shatter instantly. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME REALISM IN THIS MAKE BELIEVE WORLD!!! 🤣

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I like that these pieces are easily destroyed. Makes me think of a bull in an antique store where everything is destroyed easily because the bull is so powerful. I just can't suspend disbelief if a canvas painting or clay pottery doesn't shatter instantly. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME REALISM IN THIS MAKE BELIEVE WORLD!!! 🤣

How about if a successful save closes a vault around the piece?

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

5 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

On my scrapper the first item was destroyed literally 2 SECONDS after initiating combat. I had absolutely no chance of protecting it.

Another problem with these missions is that, quite often, one of the initial mobs attacking the item will spawn inside the item. You can see their head and arms sticking out of the display case. They will aggro on you, but can't attack, and you can't target-attack them either because, with them inside the object, you get the "Target Blocked" error. The only way to damage them is with non-targeted AoE (or splash damage from an AoE targeted on a mob not stuck in the item. And that can take a while.

Sometimes you can get them "unstuck" by running out of line-of-sight, forcing them to try to chase you, but that doesn't always work.

I like them as an interesting change of pace to the usual mission content.

I dislike them for the reasons pointed out in the thread and would love to see some solutions implemented, some suggested above.  Save by 'fixing' the vault so it closes or reinstates a protective force field around the item (maybe the force field is really an absorb shield and hence destructible but gives you time to return to handle an ambush).  Maybe guards driven away return to their station(s) after your character drives off the supernatural threats.  My friends and I would joke about wanting a burlap sack for those silly hostages you have to rescue so maybe your character takes possession (and if you get defeated you might lose the items with or without any chance to recover them in time to prevent defeat/mission failure).  And probably another zillion variants on the general idea.