Radeon rx 5300 issues.

Relvinian

I have a new pc i built with i-3 10100f 16 gigs of ram 500 gb sd drive and i had a gt 1030 in it.

Ran the game fine.  I wanted to try some newer pc games and i picked up a dell rx 5300 oem 3 gb video card

In this game it is blurry.  No idea why.  I tried all sorts of different settings and had no joy.  You can stand next to a person or a car or something and when you turn the car or person has a blur in it.  Big blur.  Also you can fly around and for no reason you get micro freezes.  Had latest video card drivers.

So i would steer clear of this card and possibly the rx 5500 and rx 5700 for this game.  If someone knows a fix let me know.  But i couldn't figure it out.

Also, the fan sounds really loud when it gets going and i dislike that.  Not that it ran much in this game.  The cpu was usually about 20% and video was often very low as well in afterburner.  It was like it was sleeping and every now and then it fell asleep for a moment.

Edited by Relvinian

I can confirm that the RX 5700 gets micro stutters like crazy on City of Heroes.  It has something to do with the dynamic sleep mode that can't be disabled on this line of cards.  Tried one last year and CoH was unbearable on it.  I returned mine and got an RTX 2060 instead for the same price -- no micro stutters with CoH unless the game is in regular fullscreen instead of borderless fullscreen.

It seems that some modern GPUs have trouble recognizing older games as things they need to be constantly awake for.

Edited by Veracor
  • Like 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

2 hours ago, Veracor said:

It seems that some modern GPUs have trouble recognizing older games as things they need to be constantly awake for.

So the video card has insommina ? Lots of modern games are a borefest to the point you fall asleep, I can see it happening.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

6 hours ago, Veracor said:

I can confirm that the RX 5700 gets micro stutters like crazy on City of Heroes.  It has something to do with the dynamic sleep mode that can't be disabled on this line of cards.  Tried one last year and CoH was unbearable on it.  I returned mine and got an RTX 2060 instead for the same price -- no micro stutters with CoH unless the game is in regular fullscreen instead of borderless fullscreen.

I also had problems with it not waking up from sleep mode.  Had to push the power button to get it to "wake up"  I might screw around with it later or keep the card in case i stop playing coh and then find some other game i want to play.  But why is it so blurry?  

Edited by Relvinian

I'm not a fan of Radeon video cards. I don't do any over-clocking, bitcoin mining, or anything else that ought to be pushing my video cards. I had a workhorse of an NVIDIA give up after 5 years (yes, I keep my systems alive... they are built to be 'future tolerant') and because of supply I ended up replacing it with a Radeon. The card lasted about 6 months, but it had issues from the get go. For me, the main grievance was that the assorted levels of 'software' (including drivers) were not working as advertised.

I also seem to remember a weird 'sleep mode' that I couldn't disable, but the (related) kicker for me was that while I could monitor all sorts of technical parameters of the card, I was unable to control something as basic as the fan speed except to keep it turned on (full speed) or off, no matter what else I was doing with the card. Temperatures (even with the fan on at turbine speed) would ceiling in CoH even with minimal FX settings in unpopulated maps. I was tempted to chalk it up to CoH (because that is what I was playing heavily in 2019, thanks Homecoming!) but I saw similar issues in other games (mostly older ones) like Civ V, Deus Ex (HR/MD) and with video playing/editing.

I don't think my individual card was a unique lemon, because others had reported similar issues... it's just that they weren't widespread enough for me to notice before purchase. I replaced it with an NVIDIA. The extra software is minimal, and it wasn't that hard to remove pieces I installed (against my better judgement). The card has no issues; its extra cooling kicks on in more predictable ways and doesn't sound like a jet engine.

I tried and tried with this card.  Removed the software.  Put my old nvidia back in.  The gt 1030 nvidia works perfectly but the rx 5300 looks blurry.  I played with all the settings in coh multiple times and the radeon settings.  The issue is direct x 9. and the rx 5300 and most likely 5500 and 5700.

Card works great in direct x 12.  So any old games you may find a similar problem.  That is a no go for me.  I have my 1030 back in my machine.  

This is more of a public service message than a cry for help as the only help for coh is to not use the card.

Sounds like the old days. I jumped ship many moons ago because of how bad Radeon's drivers got/were/always will be apparently.

But just in case, here's my ancient ATI Settings Guide from the old forums. Maybe there's something in there that'll help.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120905072807/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=115069

• Like 1

Have you tried playing around with the fullscreen/fake fullscreen/windowed settings in-game? It's possible your gfx card is failing to recognize CoH as a proper game, deserving of top performance.

I love my AMD CPUs, but their videocards have never really impressed me.

I stick with Nvidia for GPUs, but their software is getting to be a real pain, with too many unwanted misfeatures and intrusive tattleware. I find this utility to be a big help, it lets you pick and choose what bits to install:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/nvidia-driver-slimming-utility,2.html

Sadly, it looks like future Nvidia drivers will be the shitty DCH-style, which you can't downgrade or uninstall.

(It's MicroSoft's computer, after all, you're just paying them for the privilege of using it!)

In general, Guru3d is a great place to find advice and utilities to tweak your graphics, 'tis highly recommended. You may even find tips for AMD cards to alleviate your issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

21 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I stick with Nvidia for GPUs, but their software is getting to be a real pain, with too many unwanted misfeatures and intrusive tattleware.

I think there is a lot of prejudice brought to this statement.

There are options to mitigate and the Nvidia software is a every powerful tool that I use aspects of pretty much every time I use my computer.

There might be some drawbacks, but it seems like shooting yourself in the foot because your shoes look like everyone else's.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:53 AM, Relvinian said:

In this game it is blurry.  No idea why.  I tried all sorts of different settings and had no joy.  You can stand next to a person or a car or something and when you turn the car or person has a blur in it.  Big blur.  Also you can fly around and for no reason you get micro freezes. 

I'm assuming you have FSAA turned off.

If you access options for the graphics card, try setting the card to let the game decide how to handle performance versus quality.

Other option would be set to default, see if that takes care of it, and then increase settings from there.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I think there is a lot of prejudice brought to this statement.

Possibly, in the sense that I am deeply suspicious of software that reports back to its makers. Granted, Nvidia has more excuses than most to report back. The Georce Experience can be quite helpful, especially to new users who haven't been tweaking games/gfx settings for many years.

Still, the modern drivers in a default install include:

• The display driver itself.
  • PhysX support.
  • An auto-updater.
  • Reporting on all games installed, including downloading special settings for many games.
  • A streaming server that automatically records the last 20 seconds of gameplay, just in case you want to stream or save it.
  • A screenshot utility with various options to upload to many different services.
  • Telemetry that reports which games you play and for how long, hardware details, and game settings.
  • A javascript engine.
  • Software to support the Nvidia Shield wireless controller.
  • Various hotkeys to invoke the above services on command.

If you use all these background services and utilities, you may be glad of them. Personally, my data cap won't allow me to stream, etc. I don't need to waste my limited throughput on telemetry (or ads, helpful tips on settings, or helping anyone "improve their customer experience.") so I have no need for most of the above. I use the aforementioned NVSlimmer to trim it back to:

• Display driver
  • PhysX

(Are we one of the few games still using PhysX? It seems so.)

It works well for me. If you make use of the other features, good for you! I still suggest keeping an eye on what's going on in the background. You are the owner of your computer, no matter what the various vendors think.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

16 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

The Georce Experience can be quite helpful, especially to new users who haven't been tweaking games/gfx settings for many years.

It is very useful to those of us that had to tweak our game settings because Nvida's Geoforce didn't use to be able to tweak game settings on its own.

Now Nvidia works with game manufacturers to set-up optimal settings for their games based on the specs of the Nvidia hardware on yours system that it knows are on your computer (you can set it automatically scan for game on start up or you can set it so it will only scan for new games manually when you tell it to do so). You can still change the settings, but it Geoforce will can automatically optimize the settings on many games.

17 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

An auto-updater.

This is in the Geforce Experience.

Reporting on all games installed, including downloading special settings for many games.

This is also handled through Geforce Experience.

A streaming server that automatically records the last 20 seconds of gameplay, just in case you want to stream or save it.

The game recording settings are handled through the Geforce Experience.

A screenshot utility with various options to upload to many different services.

Setting for this also handled in the Geforce experience.

Telemetry that reports which games you play and for how long, hardware details, and game settings.

I'm assuming this is handled through the Geforce experience as well. Part of it is for monitoring how the card is behaving for the games on your system as feedback so that the can determine if there are issues with their hardware/software so that they can improve everyone's gaming experience.

If you don't have the bandwidth and don't want the functions that can be very helpful, then I can see how you would be annoyed.

On the other hand, you are disabling features that could allow your Nvidia card to function in what very well could be more optimal settings that what you are using.

(Are we one of the few games still using PhysX? It seems so.)

CoH tries to use an outdated version of PhysX. PhysX on current cards surpasses and bypasses the kind of PhysX that CoH is set-up to use.

Just saying that I'm siding with working with G-Force ... or Science Ninja Team Gatchaman  ... if you are old school like that ...

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

It sounds like you are reaping all of the benefits and running into none of the downsides, so enjoy!

Can anyone comment on the Radeon drivers? Are they adding similar functions?