Temp powers...

Ukase

This morning, I was doing a warrior map for Ashwin Lannister. During the mission, I got a couple of temps. One was a 30 minute stealth, and the other was a 10 use self-teleport power. 

I thought to myself - "Great!  Now I don't have to spend time going to test to try this out." 
I right-clicked to scope out Detailed Info, and it said 10 uses. No mention of expiring when the mission was over. 

And yet...the mission got completed, and I hadn't tried out the power. I never used it once. I feel a bit ripped off. 

Yes, of course I know I can go to test server and make a character or respec one of the characters I have there already and try out self-tp & combat teleport. But - my feedback is that it should never be necessary. Going to test server has utility for some, but I've always avoided it because it's just annoying. It's as painless as it can be with the copy character, but for every moment spent there, that takes away from time on the standard server.

It just makes more sense to me to have very limited supplies of these temps at p2w for people to try. 

Clearly, there's already a structure in place to limit the number of temps we can purchase. I should be able to spend a million on a 5 use Self-tp temp, just to get a feel for how it works. I shouldn't have to choose the power, then respec if I don't like it. I shouldn't have to log off, shut the game down, then reopen the game, go on test, respec one of my characters there, and spend who knows how long trying to reconfigure my build and what power to lose to make room for this new one I want to try, or make a new character and then choose the power I want to try, only to then have to close this client down and bring up the standard server and proceed from there. It's a time investment I'd prefer not to make. A quick trip to p2w would be much easier, much faster. 

At a minimum, temp powers that have a limited use should remain with the character until they're used, or at least have some documentation to let the player know they are for that mission only. 

High priority? Certainly not. But it seems like an easy thing to take care of. 

10 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

On that topic, there are many temp powers that I'd like to be able to delete but can not. Prestige power slide being high on that list.

Hah! That's my preferred travel power, in conjunction with Super Speed. It's not a temp power, it's a variation of sprint. Just remove it from your tray, use Sprint and you needn't fuss with it ever again. 

Honestly, with how many Temp Powers exist ( https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/12631-packrat-at-17/#comment-143379 ) I think it would be stellar to have a complete overhaul of the Temp Power sub-system, if possible.  I suspect, however, that introducing a whole new menu just for such management would be prohibitively difficult or time consuming.

At the very least, having some better list categorization would be nice.  So instead of just one large list of Temp Powers, they could potentially break them up in to categories like:

-Temp Single Target Attack Powers

-Temp AoE Attack Powers

-Temp Survival Powers

-Temp Support Powers

-Temp Control Powers

-Mission Objective Temp Powers

-Miscellaneous Temp Powers

Et cetera.

Still a pretty substantial amount of work, though, given how many Temp Powers there are, of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

On that topic, there are many temp powers that I'd like to be able to delete but can not. Prestige power slide being high on that list.

There is even a warning when you purchase it that this one cannot be removed/revoked, I think?

It probably has some programming quirk that makes it annoying.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

I was thinking that maybe if we did get around to different categories of Temporary Powers, @TheZag, then 3/7 could go under the Primary column (STAttack, AoEAttack, Control), 3/7 go under Secondary (Survival, Support, Mission), and 1/7 remain in the third column (Misc).

While it wouldn't necessarily be completely equal, it would make everything much more clearly organized and quicker to reach.