Shotgun Blast Set

A Cat

I know I know, AR has some shotgun powers. But there are so many shell types out there, I think it is worthy of a separate powerset. Also, even though AR/Dev was my first character on live, I was never satisfied with the implementation of it. It was less "AR" and more "All vaguely gun-like things duct taped together into the Frankengun". It is as if we had a "melee weapon" set instead of BS/Kat/Mace/Axe and the weapon was all four of those things stuck together in an unholy amalgamation. I won't go into numbers, since I don't know the design guidelines or anything, so this will be an extremely half assed suggestion. Being a new set, with some potentially new animations needing to be done, I know this would be somewhere between pipe dream and someday. 

T1: Slug (Copy pasted from AR)

T2: Rapid Pump (Two quick shots in a row)

T3: Buckshot (Copy pasted from AR)

T4: Bean Bag (Copy pasted from AR)

T5: Taser Shell (Minor energy damage long range hold)

T6: Aim

T7: Dragons breath (Fire damage cone)

T8: Bolo (High or superior damage single target with either slow or immobilize, with -fly)

T9: Slamfire (Unload your tube as rapidly as you can pump, 7 shots in quick succession in a cone)

I see this as being a high AoE, high utility, meh single target set. 

Inb4/jranger

If not this, then a P2W temp power shotgun, since the Jailbreak one only lasts one day. 

And no snipe... probably on purpose. Maybe max 40-ft range on all?

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

53 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Maybe max 40-ft range on all?

Shotguns can fire 1 ounce slugs up to 1200'.  Expected distance before dropping below acceptable velocity for a clean kill, about 300'.  Buckshot can be accurate and lethal up to 75'.

Of course, varying the grain count and the weight of the slug/balls, the shape of the slug, the wadding for the balls, or using a sabot can significantly affect the trajectory, range and muzzle velocity, including allowing for farther shots, greater precision and more force retained by the round over a longer distance, but that's custom work, typically by enthusiasts who make their own ammunition.  Factory-produced slugs and buckshot shells will conform to the above specifications.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Shotguns can fire 1 ounce slugs up to 1200'.  Expected distance before dropping below acceptable velocity for a clean kill, about 300'.  Buckshot can be accurate and lethal up to 75'.

Of course, varying the grain count and the weight of the slug/balls, the shape of the slug, the wadding for the balls, or using a sabot can significantly affect the trajectory, range and muzzle velocity, including allowing for farther shots, greater precision and more force retained by the round over a longer distance, but that's custom work, typically by enthusiasts who make their own ammunition.  Factory-produced slugs and buckshot shells will conform to the above specifications.

Nerd. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

6 hours ago, Luminara said:

...but that's custom work, typically by enthusiasts who make their own ammunition.

I would expect someone running around as a super would be doing that, or having someone doing that for them. 

As far as Shotgun assault, the op's suggestion - this may be better as an epic pool for some of the melee classes.  It'd be very in-character to have an axe-crazy villain pull out a shotgun for runners.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vanden said:

You've basically just designed AR with Aim, four of the powers are direct lifts from the set and two more of them are essentially the same as two other powers from AR.

True. I admit to wanting to separate the different gun powers for thematic reasons and that gameplay wise it is hard to justify. I could have copy pasted the m203 with a rename too since there are grenade shells for shotguns as well. 

3 hours ago, Akisan said:

I would expect someone running around as a super would be doing that, or having someone doing that for them. 

As far as Shotgun assault, the op's suggestion - this may be better as an epic pool for some of the melee classes.  It'd be very in-character to have an axe-crazy villain pull out a shotgun for runners.

I'd be up for that as well. Might be easier since you can just copy paste everything since you need fewer powers. 

No offense, but I kind of completely hate suggestions like this. “I know we’re 90% of the way to having this already but we really need to carve out this super specific niche anyway.” Like, hypothetically, if we had this set already, I wouldn’t put it past you with this sort of thinking to type a thread demanding a whole new set just for the double barrel or sawed-off variety of shotgun.

Carry on.