New player - seeking help

cravgar

Hi there, long time COH/COV fan from way back in the day - must have been 1 year past COV since i last played! 

I've been messing around with scrappers and brutes - they were my favorite other than my emp defender when i also used to heal.  I've tried a mix of Ele/SD scrapper and a Energy/WP scrapper. Both seem pretty fun although the energy one has had end issues already 🙂 <lvl 10 btw. 

Am I making any decisions i am likely to regret with either of these? whilst i know its easy to create alts etc im looking to get a good main to start with.  would i be better getting a AT better for farming considering its my first one to?

I don't think you are making a mistake in playing any AT that appeals to you... and if "farming" is your ultimate goal, any DPS character should be fine. There are degrees of efficiency, but for my 2 Inf you don't "need" to do much classic AE farming in this game. The main in-game advantage I see to having a "farmer" is for 2nd account XP boosting if you simply can't bring yourself to play with characters below level 50. I have no shade to toss at folks that would simply prefer to play a farm scenario in the AE.

Some thoughts:

• Merits are very easy to get, for all AT and all "sides". Merits can get you a lot of what the game provides directly (merit vendors) or indirectly (auction house)
  • The Auction House can provide a LOT of Inf, with relatively low Inf-vestment. You do have to do some learning, but it isn't that hard to figure out.

Once a DPS character is reasonably well kitted, especially with Incarnate boosts, there is a HUGE amount of non-AE content that can be run "just like" farms... with an exception that not all characters would be equal for "AFK farming".

Hey. Welcome back.

Running out of end at low levels is normal. You barely have any way to address it with slotting (since you haven't earned slots yet) and really not much you can do other than the obvious one: turn off travel powers, sometimes even sprint, that will consume end. you don't really need it while fighting. You can try slotting an End Mod in Stamina, but again, it will offer just a small percentage at that level.

At level 10, you have 7 powers. If most of those are def/res toggles, then you're going to have to pick which ones to turn on. I tend to pick attack powers over def/res toggles and just hit and run. Plan your skirmishes into bouts you can handle before your blue bar runs out. The good news is, it gets better as you level. You can slot accordingly and get some nifty set bonuses in the process.

Brutes and Scrappers are quite fun in general with a nice mix of offensive and defensive powers. /SD and WP are quite good, and Energy is also good. Elec/ is up for discussion, but I like it. Just stick with it until 30 then decide if it's worth keeping.

I cranked up a second account for a farmer so that it could powerlevel characters created on my first account. Also makes all sorts of other things in game easier like inviting to supergroups, transferring junk, etc.

As for the two characters, nothing wrong with either. My strongest tank is a shield/nrg, and from that I'll state that your elec/sd will be tougher than the nrg/wp, but the nrg will be much better at taking down hard targets.

51 minutes ago, cravgar said:

Am I making any decisions i am likely to regret with either of these? whilst i know its easy to create alts etc im looking to get a good main to start with.  would i be better getting a AT better for farming considering its my first one to?

Nope, nothing to regret in either.

Enjoying the way the toon plays is the most important factor. No point building a toon for a specific "purpose" if playing it is going to bore or frustrate you the entire time.

Both of those are great combos, and if you find that you want to farm at some point (completely optional, but also completely available, welcome back to the City of Endless Viable Options) either of those will do just fine against smashing/lethal opponents, and iirc there are farms aimed towards S/L just as there are for Fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

19 hours ago, cravgar said:

thanks all, very helpful. the energy/wp scrapper is definitely fun. i was wondering if people use a second account for farming/boosting will have a think about that cheers! 

Not to tell you how to play the game, but the general advice of playing instead of aiming to be 50 and start farming still holds well.

As a new player you can probably make use of the signature in my link for the basics in money making that will shore you up until 50, it includes the location of the P2W vendor that will have really good stuff. Including buffs that will help your endurance for cheap (Recovery Serums and Amplifiers, but Amplifiers only buy at level 1 since they go expensive super fast after level 1. The guide explains much of it).

Once you discover the P2W vendor and that it has a double XP buff you'll realize that you level very fast so should not feel beholden on a character. It's common to just play the game and be level 20+ in a single game session. So if you're not liking a character just make a new one. I am a big fan of the Fire Armor/Ice Melee and recommend it to all new players due to the blend of sturdyness, low level biggo damage, and low level access to a heal and endurance clicky.