Cast your vote

Arcadian-Prime

BS/shield. Make the Kat/rad a Brute. That thing will fly with its fast cast times, +recharge, and added damage.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

49 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

BS/shield. Make the Kat/rad a Brute. That thing will fly with its fast cast times, +recharge, and added damage.

I thought that at first, but than I noticed the extra damage buff Meltdown gets on Scrappers. Also, I hear Katana shines on Scrappers. How do you like Katana on Brutes?

I was thinking Katana/Elec Armor could be a great Brute.

The Katana/Rad can be built to emphasize -Def, which will make it a nice addition to things like the Aeon Strike Force and more. Be sure to take Ground Zero, so that someday you'll pick up the "Empath" badge that you can wear with pride 🙂

• Haha 1

KM: Nascar Melee.  If you can get past the sound effects ...

PsiM:  Is very unlikely to perform the way you expect it to.

BS/SD: Yes.

Kat/Rad: Yes.  Scrapper 1/3 more damage, Brute 2.5x more peak durability.  Pick your preference.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

I recently made a BS/Shield.  Pretty decent but felt I could do more.  I made a Warmace/Shield and boy this one feels right.  Crowd Control is a fantastic attack and the ST crunch that's in Broadsword is still there in Mace.  I'd go with WM over BS.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Linea said:

KM: Nascar Melee.  If you can get past the sound effects ...

PsiM:  Is very unlikely to perform the way you expect it to.

BS/SD: Yes.

Kat/Rad: Yes.  Scrapper 1/3 more damage, Brute 2.5x more peak durability.  Pick your preference.

Haha so you’re saying BS/SD would have your vote?

I don’t mind the KM sound effects. For Psi, what do you mean? I’ll most likely find it underwhelming?

Good to know for the Kat/Rad. Out of the extra damage or extra surviability, which would you value more? I.e. which would scale better for harder content?

55 minutes ago, Arcadian-Prime said:

I thought that at first, but than I noticed the extra damage buff Meltdown gets on Scrappers. Also, I hear Katana shines on Scrappers. How do you like Katana on Brutes?

I was thinking Katana/Elec Armor could be a great Brute.

As mentioned, Scrapper will be more damage, but Brutes will get more out of a Res based armor. Pick which you like. There isn't really anything Scrapper specific for why Kat would be better on a Scrapper versus a Brute. Kat has the best overall cast times which is going to fuel Fury nicely. I can argue Claws is better on a Scrapper. MA is better on a Brute. Kat? Eh. My only qualm with Kat is that it is lethal damage, but my favorite melee set is (Scrapper) Claws, so...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

1 minute ago, Arcadian-Prime said:

For Psi, what do you mean? I’ll most likely find it underwhelming?

Good to know for the Kat/Rad. Out of the extra damage or extra surviability, which would you value more? I.e. which would scale better for harder content?

What kind of extra damage do you do dead? Not to say I won't roll Stalkers or Scrapper or even prefer Tanks, but the more I play the more important being vertical is, ie I prefer Rad/bio versus Rad/fire or really Rad/any over Rad/fire outside of Rad/regen.

I've covered Psionic here.

• Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

6 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

As mentioned, Scrapper will be more damage, but Brutes will get more out of a Res based armor. Pick which you like. There isn't really anything Scrapper specific for why Kat would be better on a Scrapper versus a Brute. Kat has the best overall cast times which is going to fuel Fury nicely. I can argue Claws is better on a Scrapper. MA is better on a Brute. Kat? Eh. My only qualm with Kat is that it is lethal damage, but my favorite melee set is (Scrapper) Claws, so...

These are all good points. MA on a Brute or Tanker is pretty sweet.

Rad Armor seems like it can be argued for either Brute or Scrapper. Elec Armor feels like it’s just flat out better on a Brute. Between Kat/Rad and Kat/Elec, which do you like?

3 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

What kind of extra damage do you do dead? Not to say I won't roll Stalkers or Scrapper or even prefer Tanks, but the more I play the more important being vertical is, ie I prefer Rad/bio versus Rad/fire or really Rad/any over Rad/fire outside of Rad/regen.

I've covered Psionic here.

This is helpful. I know Psi insight is pretty wonky. I was just thinking Shield Charge + Mass Levitate would be a nice combo.

1 hour ago, Mezmera said:

I recently made a BS/Shield.  Pretty decent but felt I could do more.  I made a Warmace/Shield and boy this one feels right.  Crowd Control is a fantastic attack and the ST crunch that's in Broadsword is still there in Mace.  I'd go with WM over BS.  

@Arcadian-Prime

He's actually right & I've tried both. BS definitely has better weapon choices but WM out performs it in every single way. WM Scrapper is a front runner for the highest DPS in game and BS is one of the lowest performers. But if you're not min/maxing and you prefer BS, then go BS because they definitely look sexy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Arcadian-Prime said:

These are all good points. MA on a Brute or Tanker is pretty sweet.

Rad Armor seems like it can be argued for either Brute or Scrapper. Elec Armor feels like it’s just flat out better on a Brute. Between Kat/Rad and Kat/Elec, which do you like?

I've rolled a few of both armors although non to 50. If I had to death match both and pick one, my soloing a character to 50 red side recently has me leaning Elec simply due to the end drain protection. I think Rad has a smoother end management game and higher potential for +recharge although both are close. Elec just protects against those getting debuffed. I don't think their performance is going to be that radically different though, and I really should get both to 50 at some point. I like the Rads I have done. I just haven't gotten them high enough to where they flip the switch. Until I can hit even soloing +0/+1/x8, then we can talk about how well it does across various mobs. A lot of builds can cakewalk x4. Its when x8 is involved and those debuffs come flying in a build starts to get tested. If you only team or aren't trying to push the diff setting envelope, pick whatever. They both will work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

9 hours ago, Kodo said:

@Arcadian-Prime

He's actually right & I've tried both. BS definitely has better weapon choices but WM out performs it in every single way. WM Scrapper is a front runner for the highest DPS in game and BS is one of the lowest performers. But if you're not min/maxing and you prefer BS, then go BS because they definitely look sexy.

A month ago I would have 100% agreed with this, but I couldn't forget watching someone drop a pylon in a 1:30 something with a procced out BS/BIO, so I had to give BS/SD procced out a go. I was VERY surprised that the BS/SD and WM/SD performed almost the same.

Basically BS and WM can have very similar performance that just can't be noticed outside a measured scenario (and even then only a few seconds).

Something to keep in mind, the larger a team the more a benefit a BS is compared to a WM. You can slap on more -RES and -DEF as BS compared to WM. And the more people on your team the more beneficial this effect is.

My vote goes Kat/Rad though. I don't have that combination and it sounds pretty awesome. +DEF from divine avalanche paired with a resist set? Lots of -DEF and -RES? And Kat performs really really well on scrappers, and so does Rad Armor.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 3

As a rule, I do not generally recommend resist armors on 75% resist cap ATs, due to the 2.5x incoming damage issue.

Spoiler

Armor Types (Armor Recommendations):

I recommend:  

Defense Armor: EnA (Any AT), Inv/ and SD/ as the Tank Alternatives.    

Resist Armor: RadA (Brutes and Tanks Only).  

Heal Armor: Bio (Any AT, paired with a Defensive Weapon).  

Offense Armor: SD, Bio

Defense Armors, Expanded and In Order of Durability: EnA (Any AT, Add Resists, Intermediate), SR (Advanced), SD (Intermediate), Inv (Easy). If you’re not picking EnA, I Recommend Inv. Inv is very easy to learn and drive, and very durable. Once you get your feet under you, then you can pick some of the more difficult to drive armors. My personal Favorites are EnA and SD, but I find myself driving EnA and Inv most often.

These are old builds from the archives, none are offensively oriented, none are proc builds, but they may or may not be helpful:

Kat Rad Brute - Tacidar - Mu 4 (Psi-Tank) - [i25].mxd  Rad Kat Tank - Radicat II - Mu 3f - [i25].mxd  Kat Rad Scrapper - Radicat-S 3a - [i25].mxd  BS SD Scrapper - Hasten 2 - [i25].mxd

Edited by Linea
  • Like 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

4 hours ago, Linea said:

As a rule, I do not generally recommend resist armors on 75% resist cap ATs, due to the 2.5x incoming damage issue.

Reveal hidden contents

Armor Types (Armor Recommendations):

I recommend:  

Defense Armor: EnA (Any AT), Inv/ and SD/ as the Tank Alternatives.    

Resist Armor: RadA (Brutes and Tanks Only).  

Heal Armor: Bio (Any AT, paired with a Defensive Weapon).  

Offense Armor: SD, Bio

Defense Armors, Expanded and In Order of Durability: EnA (Any AT, Add Resists, Intermediate), SR (Advanced), SD (Intermediate), Inv (Easy). If you’re not picking EnA, I Recommend Inv. Inv is very easy to learn and drive, and very durable. Once you get your feet under you, then you can pick some of the more difficult to drive armors. My personal Favorites are EnA and SD, but I find myself driving EnA and Inv most often.

These are old builds from the archives, none are offensively oriented, none are proc builds, but they may or may not be helpful:

Kat Rad Brute - Tacidar - Mu 4 (Psi-Tank) - [i25].mxd 5.26 kB · 52 downloads   Rad Kat Tank - Radicat II - Mu 3f - [i25].mxd 7.16 kB · 208 downloads   Kat Rad Scrapper - Radicat-S 3a - [i25].mxd 5.25 kB · 0 downloads   BS SD Scrapper - Hasten 2 - [i25].mxd 5.31 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this. Curious what you mean by the 2.5x damage by having a 75% resist cap? Looks like you’re saying Brute might be the way to go for that combo.

3 hours ago, Thrax said:

Kat/Rad.  The plus def attack should get you to melee defense soft cap pretty easy.  Rad is great on a scrapper.  I have a psi/shield and it is fine but don't play it much.  

Ty for this. Might want to pick your brain on that combo.

Scrapper resist cap is 75% ... if a mob is tossing 1000 dps, you'll take 250 dps of damage.    (assuming you build for the resist cap, vs an offensive build)

Brute resist cap is 90% ... if a mob is tossing 1000 dps, you'll take 100 dps of damage.   (assuming you build for the resist cap, vs an offensive build)

250 incoming dps on the scrapper / 100 incoming dps on the brute = 2.5 x more incoming dps on the scrapper.

Assuming you stand there and take it without doing anything else about it, the brute will live 15 seconds, while the scrapper will live 5 seconds.

Edited by Linea
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Linea said:

Scrapper resist cap is 75% ... if a mob is tossing 1000 dps, you'll take 250 dps of damage.    (assuming you build for the resist cap, vs an offensive build)

Brute resist cap is 90% ... if a mob is tossing 1000 dps, you'll take 100 dps of damage.   (assuming you build for the resist cap, vs an offensive build)

250 incoming dps on the scrapper / 100 incoming dps on the brute = 2.5 x more incoming dps on the scrapper.

Assuming you stand there and take it without doing anything else about it, the brute will live 15 seconds, while the scrapper will live 5 seconds.

Linea is spot on here.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Linea said:

Thanks for breaking it down!