Total Noob question : how does one do damage as a Controller ?

ZEdglord

1 minute ago, Troo said:

that 3 power attack chain while taking very few hits is effective. a bit boring to me, but effective.

See folks? This is an opinion. It's not something that can be argued against.

"I like more clicky sets because I have to work harder." Opinion. There's nothing to argue. Have fun.

"Regen is as effective at mitigation as other armors." Statement: Easily disputed.

"Folks that can't solo as well with squishies as with meleers just don't know how to play." Statement: Easily disputed.

"Melee archetypes can solo faster than squishy archetypes." Statement: Easily proven.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Pick a standard. I'm curious as to what you'd come up with that would in some way show the superiority of a squishy soloing over a meleer.

I think you’re missing the point. If I really needed to prove myself to you, I’d pick one of my best DPS squishy characters and probably follow your rules with a couple tweaks like being allowed to use the inspirations I earn in combat. 

The problem is I don’t want to prove myself to you. I don’t normally run a stopwatch when I play and the thought of changing that just to placate someone *who does nothing but shit on me* sounds like repugnant cuckish behavior. 

Sorry about your derailed thread, OP. I’m done.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, arcane said:

I think you’re missing the point.

I'm not missing any point. You make statements with no regard to reality and expect others not to call you out on your lies.

Let's use inspirations. Let's use any rules you want. If you can't/won't bother doing that, then perhaps you should stop posting your lies while expecting not to be called out for them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Just now, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm not missing any point. You make statements with no regard to reality and expect others not to call you out on your lies.

Let's use inspirations. Let's use any rules you want. If you can't/won't bother doing that, then perhaps you should stop posting your lies while expecting not to be called out for them.

“Lies”. Ok man. Thanks for proving why it was a mistake for me to engage with you.

40 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

"Melee archetypes can solo faster than squishy archetypes." Statement: Easily proven.

it would be nice to have a Trapdoor type mission that didn't have the hatches..

there are some squishies that farm with extreme efficiency. that highly specialized example might be too specific. controllers do well.

and..

Popcorn.gif.992d9cd9d0322498cca0a6de144413fa.gif

to the OP

The Controller is at the same time the weakest and yet the most powerful of the archetypes. The Controller has few offensive attacks and possesses few hit points. But the Controller has access to a range of powers and abilities that no one else does. Armed with these powers, a Controller can affect the behavior of villains, from freezing them in place, to putting them to sleep, to routing them away. Armed with such abilities, the Controller is the backbone for any super group, but the Controller depends upon their teammates for protection.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

You're welcome.

Can you point out a single lie I have told via direct quote? I understand how you can call me a liar by twisting my words, but maybe like you I’m curious for some real evidence.

Just now, Troo said:

it would be nice to have a Trapdoor type mission that didn't have the hatches..

there are some squishies that farm with extreme efficiency. that highly specialized example might be too specific.

I find the hatches detrimental on every character I've run through it because of ME, not the character.

But I get the point. Please, show me a squishy and on what mission it does so well including its clear all time and I'll test myself against it with a wide variety of melee characters. I'm happy to be proven wrong. I've demonstrated that on the forums since I first joined in issue 1. Being proven wrong is how we learn to be better than we were and I'm all for that.

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Can you point out a single lie I have told via direct quote? I understand how you can call me a liar by twisting my words, but maybe like you I’m curious for some real evidence.

You attacked me with a lie. I can prove you lie with a simple video showing one of my trollers running at max diff. You're a liar. A troll. Time to go away.

11 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I do not think you're flat wrong. There are builds out there that do very well and could be competitive. That however, is not the average player.

Using SOs.. advantage melee.

Using IO sets with T4 incarnates.. the gap closes significantly.

Controllers are an example that can benefit greatly from IOs and Incarnates.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

You attacked me with a lie. I can prove you lie with a simple video showing one of my trollers running at max diff. You're a liar. A troll. Time to go away.

Quote the lie and tell me why it is a lie. Or stop calling me a liar and a troll. Or can you not prove anything?

Just now, Troo said:

I do not think you're flat wrong. There are builds out there that do very well and could be competitive. That however, is not the average player.

No debate there other than if that same player picked a meleer and put the same effort into it, the meleer would be superior at soloing.

4 minutes ago, arcane said:

Quote the lie and tell me why it is a lie. Or stop calling me a liar and a troll. Or can you not prove anything?

You editing my post:

2 hours ago, arcane said:

I personally suck at it with the other ATs.

Prove it.

Edit: In other words, @arcane, you chose to attack me as a troll would with lies and now you're backpedaling like every little lying troll would.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Confused 1

You editing my post:

Prove it.

Ah I see where you are misunderstanding. I don’t feel that non-squishy AT’s suck at soloing so when you said they suck, I could only assume it was a personal problem. Now where was the lie? You want something a little more objective than that to support calling someone a liar you know. And, prove what? That squishy AT’s don’t suck at solo’ing? We’d have to agree on the definition of suck for that to be provable.

It's all about how you approach things - virtually all of a controller's primary deal damage, but YOU have to decide whether you want to leverage that aspect of said powers instead of longer control effects or faster recharges.  There is a tradeoff for every decision you make, and that's one of the best aspects of CoH, IMO...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Ah I see where you are misunderstanding. I don’t feel that non-squishy AT’s suck at soloing so when you said they suck, I could only assume it was a personal problem. Now where was the lie? You want something a little more objective than that to support calling someone a liar you know. And, prove what? That squishy AT’s don’t suck at solo’ing? We’d have to agree on the definition of suck for that to be provable.

And no matter what definition of soloing I come up with, you'll deflect and obfuscate and misdirect and lie and there won't be any end to it. I've already offered up a chance for you to set the standards to prove what you say and you avoid it because you know you have nothing related to reality to stand on. You attacked me, I called you out on it, and you have nothing. As always. You've never been anything else but what I've already stated and you aren't capable of it.

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

And no matter what definition of soloing I come up with, you'll deflect and obfuscate and misdirect and lie and there won't be any end to it. I've already offered up a chance for you to set the standards to prove what you say and you avoid it because you know you have nothing related to reality to stand on. You attacked me, I called you out on it, and you have nothing. As always. You've never been anything else but what I've already stated and you aren't capable of it.

Ok let me help you. You called me a liar for contradicting you when I said squishy AT’s don’t suck at soloing. You then started talking about clear times like mad, completely ignoring the fact that I never agreed to the premise that higher clear times constitute sucking. Sure, they would eventually, but only at a distant threshold. If a melee AT clears a mission in 10 minutes, and a squishy AT clears it in 10:01, 12, heck maybe 15? I’m still not sure where I draw the line at suckage. Because, again, I don’t play this game with a stopwatch constantly running. All that said, I’m not sure how you can say I’ve lied when you’ve failed to help me define sucking.

This is getting awfully silly. I’d prefer you learn that maybe it’s inappropriate to shit on people and call them liars over such vague facts and assumptions, or lack thereof, but I know that’s just how you’re always going to treat me.

blaster:

controller:

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Ok let me help you. You called me a liar for contradicting you when I said squishy AT’s don’t suck at soloing. You then started talking about clear times like mad, completely ignoring the fact that I never agreed to the premise that higher clear times constitute sucking. Sure, they would eventually, but only at a distant threshold. If a melee AT clears a mission in 10 minutes, and a squishy AT clears it in 10:01, 12, heck maybe 15? I’m still not sure where I draw the line at suckage. Because, again, I don’t play this game with a stopwatch constantly running. All that said, I’m not sure how you can say I’ve lied when you’ve failed to help me define sucking.

This is getting awfully silly. I’d prefer you learn that maybe it’s inappropriate to shit on people and call them liars over such vague facts and assumptions, or lack thereof, but I know that’s just how you’re always going to treat me.

You lied by implying I don't know how to play squishies. You attacked me, knowingly, stating as such. You not understanding my standards has no relevance. You're a liar and a troll and always have been. You're not capable of being anything else. The only person to doing the shitting in this thread has been you. It's usually you. You should have been permanently banned ages ago simply based on how you attack others regularly. Sad that you haven't been.

You lied by implying I don't know how to play squishies. You attacked me, knowingly, stating as such. You not understanding my standards has no relevance. You're a liar and a troll and always have been. You're not capable of being anything else. The only person to doing the shitting in this thread has been you. It's usually you. You should have been permanently banned ages ago simply based on how you attack others regularly. Sad that you haven't been.

Poor baby. As if you don’t constantly attack and insult others. Keep thinking that.

2 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Of course that's all you have. Again... prove it.

You have yet to lay out the standard that would constitute proof. What clear times / differentials must be achieved for something to not “suck”? If your answer is reasonable maybe I’ll bite. If it seems ridiculous and too arbitrary I’d rather not.

Edited by arcane

5 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Awesome. Now put both of those characters in a standard Arachnos or CoT PI radio mission.

Seems impossible to compare 1 to 1 with radios since the maps will vary forever and ever, no?

Just now, arcane said:

You have yet to lay out the standard that would constitute proof. What clear times / differentials must be achieved for something to not “suck”? If your answer is reasonable maybe I’ll bite.

Again, you lie. You won't bite. You won't even make an attempt. You'll state my standard isn't up to your specifications.

But I'll do it anyway.

CoT: PI radio: Run 5 clear all at max diff. Time each. Simple. A weak group. Could go Arachnos or Carnies. Video needed since I don't trust you.