Total Noob question : how does one do damage as a Controller ?

ZEdglord

On 5/17/2022 at 11:35 AM, Riverdusk said:

Don't the "squishies" have some of the best pylon clear times (thanks to some of their availability to huge -regen debuff powers)?  That should translate well to soloing AV's and GM's.  I have a hard time believing most tanks would take out an AV as fast as say an illusion/cold controller can, for example.  As to a GM, I have a hard time believing a tank could take down one at all by themselves without a "P2W cheat" (as someone else described it), in this case daggers,  or I guess a good Lore pet.   But can't say I ever tried it on a tank, so could be wrong.  I only really tried it on controllers (successful on several different combos without any temps or incarnates).   I know TW/BIO scrappers were successful at GM hunting pre-nerf although I think they were using Degen interface to help.

Yes, AV/GM killing is a tiny part of what most would consider solo play, but personally I find it a fun part of soloing, being able to easily take out the "big boys".   I think that is a spot where at least some of the "squishies" can shine solo.  

The key to pylon times is action economy.

Crabberminds and MMs dominate since they can run a ST rotation while their pets do good damage. Controller has one Primary that can also do the same thing (Illusion) but Illusion sacrifices its AoE and CC for that ST strength.

Plant is amazing AoE but weaker ST. Just completed are min max DPS Plant/Storm and 1.40min  is about the limit. In comparison my 2 year old poorly optimised Ill/Storm did an easy 1 min flat.

Plants AoE and CC is incredible though.

Honestly I am finding the weak point if Plant/Storm isn't Plant but Storm. Freezing Rain is great for debuffing but Tornado and LS seem to really only be useful ST.

I do wonder if I could run a Plant/TA and get similar pylon times while not being so clunky to use and end heavy.

Edited by Maxzero

I really only level Controllers and Dominators now.  Why? Just because I want to.  I powerlevel the others, but I like to get a feel for Controllers more.  I like the playstyle.  The thing with Controllers (and Doms) is to get into a rhythm.  Don't worry about an actual attack chain or anything.  Just go in and do what works.  For me, 90% of the time, I run in and use the AoE Immobilize for damage in the early game, then just keep using it and the ST Immob for Containment damage.  Once I get a hard lock, I open with that instead and then use the AoE Immob to kill things with Containment.  1-20, can be harder for Controllers, but if you pick up some freebie powers like Sands of Mu and the Undead Axe, things do go smoother.  I like to turn off all my inspirations other than blues while leveling though (on my Doms, I leave greens/purples on too).  The point isn't to win any races, it's to get a feel for the character.  Using the AoE Immob and the ST Immob as damage will get you to 50...eventually.  However, some sets, like Fire, have damage auras like Hot Feet.  Just slot some End IOs in it and run around and watch the carnage.  Even without damage Enhancements slotted, you will be able to complete missions just fine.  Once you get your pet at 32, you can basically afk the rest of the way.  Just run in, cast a hold, and watch your pets and AoE aura kill everything.  Fire/Rad was my favorite on live, and still probably is really close to top still as I am a very lazy player.  Turn on Hot Feet and Choking Cloud, go in, either Flashfires or Cinders, whichever is up, and let Imps clear it out...rinse/repeat.  I will usually respec out of the AoE Immob at some point just because the End usage is off the charts on them, but early game, it can definitely help go through missions solo AND in group.  Just AoE Immob and watch the rest of the team kill stuff and go to the next...fire off a heal or buff every now and then to let your group you are doing stuff lol.  I really don't bother too much using my secondary skills at all.  With /Rad you get Accelerated Metabolism, which is amazing, but as for the debuffs, I usually don't bother unless it's a boss+ mob.  I have found that every AT is as relaxing or as hectic as you WANT them to be.  I experiment with missions and AE to find my groove and just roll with it.  I stopped worrying about whether my dps is comparable, or whether I can get my Controller to Scrapper damage and whatnot.  Who cares? Just find your rhythm and enjoy the game...on your own terms.  Every class is given the abilities to solo to 50...you just need to decide how you want to get there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

<Joke Time Active - Do Not Take Following Seriously>

Rent a Blaster

<Secure From Joke - Restow All Gear>

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 7/9/2022 at 5:10 PM, Maxzero said:

Freezing Rain is great for debuffing but Tornado and LS seem to really only be useful ST.

They have tiny (5 yard and 7 yard) radii and Tornado actively scatters enemies. This makes it nearly impossible to optimize their AE output. Gravity is probably the best at this between its ability to teleport enemies into a tight stack and the Singularity's inverse repel. But it's still tricky to pull off.

14 hours ago, Hjarki said:

They have tiny (5 yard and 7 yard) radii and Tornado actively scatters enemies. This makes it nearly impossible to optimize their AE output. Gravity is probably the best at this between its ability to teleport enemies into a tight stack and the Singularity's inverse repel. But it's still tricky to pull off.

That is why you place a KB to KD in Tornado (even Gale).  But if you pair Storm up with a power that prevents KB while held or immobilized (like Earth) then Tornado is really good.

1 hour ago, Tacheyon said:

That is why you place a KB to KD in Tornado (even Gale).  But if you pair Storm up with a power that prevents KB while held or immobilized (like Earth) then Tornado is really good.

Tornado has a Mag 10 Fear as well, so while reducing the knockback helps a bit it hardly solves the problem.

3 hours ago, Hjarki said:

Tornado has a Mag 10 Fear as well, so while reducing the knockback helps a bit it hardly solves the problem.

Tornado and LS both have Afraid per CoD2.0.  Can remember doing a then STF and we ended up with Recluse doing his level best to imitate Rommy.  The SG consensus after some discussion and digging around was the Stormies Tornado and LS were to blame for his unusual behavior.  LS in particular has a 5 sec mag 50 Afraid component.  Tornado is a 'mere' mag 10.  

On 7/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, Blackfeather said:

Definitely one benefit of using Storm on Controllers: easy access to immobilises!

Damn near compulsory unfortunately.

Ill/Storm for example works amazing till it does not.