What is the RP hub these days?

Blackshear

Every time I venture into Pocket D lately it's pretty dead, and I'm told people are in this or that player-run club.  While the clubs are cute, I don't see much story happening in them...just a bunch of demonesses engaging in foreplay, typically.  (I only play male characters so that's not my scene.)

So, where are the story-driven RPers getting together these days?

Edited by Blackshear

Indepth RP requires indepth character relationships, gotta get to know characters better and that usually requires a Supergroup, or a group of friends with overarching goals. Even then, without a Supergroup you can still take initiative in ways where the RP is deeper than a nightclub session. 95% of the time though, SG!

An SG, generally is the way to go for plot stuff. The clubs generally do plots on nights that aren't them serving drinks. Some loose plots do come out of the D, but honestly it's a small amount and nothing puts an impetuous on those players to include others. I'd suggest a group or establishing a social circle that runs plots.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Latex said:

Indepth RP requires indepth character relationships, gotta get to know characters better and that usually requires a Supergroup, or a group of friends with overarching goals. Even then, without a Supergroup you can still take initiative in ways where the RP is deeper than a nightclub session. 95% of the time though, SG!

This is true, which also means that finding good RP is like rolling a D100, 20 times in a row, and getting 100 each time. 

the chances of finding or building a group that actually thinks enough alike on the subject are next to nothing. no matter how common sense or reasonable your ideas are, even if they would agree with you, something is always wrong, misunderstanding or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

16 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

This is true, which also means that finding good RP is like rolling a D100, 20 times in a row, and getting 100 each time. 

the chances of finding or building a group that actually thinks enough alike on the subject are next to nothing. no matter how common sense or reasonable your ideas are, even if they would agree with you, something is always wrong, misunderstanding or otherwise.

All it means is to adapt and be open to things that don't perfectly suit the niche you enjoy. Afterall, can't discover new things you enjoy without first trying other things!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

That really depends what it is, and I've spent years learning the hard way that "not perfectly" generally equals distasteful and not anything remotely what is possible to even put up with. so, not even close.

It's not like I'm looking for anything out of the mainstream. or at least what used to/should be. decent writing while being open minded, for the most part having a defined system for how most things work while respecting player consent- this requires the players to have the maturity to want the same- which isnt a thing anymore.

All the decent RPers gave up and went to play tabletop. well, 1% of them. the rest just gave up or are too busy.

• Thumbs Down 6

22 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

All the decent RPers gave up and went to play tabletop. well, 1% of them. the rest just gave up or are too busy.

Sounds like a you problem. I've found plenty of great Roleplayers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Latex said:

Sounds like a you problem. I've found plenty of great Roleplayers.

Sounds like someone who has no idea what they're talking about, and knows absolutely nothing about me, or most people here.

Given I have slightly higher standards than most here, so it seems.

Edited by ZeeHero
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 9

To address Blackshear, it really is a bit hit or miss.  I wandered for quite a bit before joining in with the banter at MSRs and just sort of grafted onto a group. Now within that wide range of players there are many subgroups of which several people belong to many, but I've found my niche amongst them.  There is also a good RP class which Crystal Dragon & McSpazz have going and which often attracts people getting into RP as well as people just wanting to help out.  I've gone to The Cape Radio shows, especially One-Hit-Wonder's show on Thursday nights at Lyricks-10861. That club also hosts a once-a-month karaoke, which has been fun to attend if you're into that sort of thing (people pick songs which we listen to on Watch2Gether, while the character who chose the song pretends to sing, often with emotes and lyrics sung in local. Atlas Park often has people gathering under the statue, and there are various times that people will advertise LFGs with RP themes.  Now all of these can be hit-or-miss regarding your personal playstyle, and trust me, my natural shyness made it difficult for me to start doing any of these, but eventually I found some great people.

I hope some of these ideas might help.  My advice is keep trying and see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

Interesting a certain person voted down latex's borderline attack on me. maybe they arent ALL bad lol.

Personally I thought @ZeeHero and @Latex, that your personal quibbles were a deconstructive thread derailment not meaningful to the overall dialogue. So I downvoted you both in my version of "Get a room." 

I think no one should ever give up on their niche unless their niche is something seriously terrible like "all my characters a nazis because I'm a closet race supremacist". And I know there are TONS of quality rpers out there.. in and outside the club list because many of them adorn my globals. They have not migrated away. 

People who haven't found their niche.. and want to find people to play in their particular niche, might need to either talk ooc about it with others when they get the opportunity, or if it's something safe for public consumption, simply start a forum post seeking interest. Just because one's personal interests are not fulfilled does not mean that quality roleplay doesn't exist. It just means your interests may only intrigue a narrow body or you need to do more outreach. This server has a narrow population, I've even seen people actively fight over friends not going for their interests, as in.. they'll tell someone they cannot be friends with someone if they continue to rp with x person or group.  Friends are resources, the most precious there is. Wars are fought over resources. I know, as I've been targeted by a few. But I think this behavior boils down to a basic math problem, the population is low..  the variety of rp is large, finding your place becomes a challenge. Finding those that won't rapidly migrate between rp interests, even more so.  

I would advise you not give up Zee.. but try greater outreach. The suggestion to diversify your interests is also not invalid. I would simply say just don't give up on what you love, either.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

Interesting a certain person voted down latex's borderline attack on me. maybe they arent ALL bad lol.

"Be open to finding new and different venues of roleplay" isn't a 'borderline attack'. That's one of the basic, requisite social skills involved in finding RP

@OP: You may get some mileage out of peeking at the supergroup directory here on the HC forums; there are at least a couple RP supergroups around that seem to be fairly active, and applying to an SG that suits your character is likely one of the best ways to find story-driven RP. It's worth keeping in mind, though, that a lot of RPers who prefer story-driven roleplay still float around Pocket D or the various themed clubs, so hitting up the D when things seem slow and getting to know people might lead to more organic and engaging introductions to an active RPSG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

When your checking for clubs, or groups you want to keep in mind things like player reactivity. Generally the easiest gauge of that at those clubs is ordering drinks, you can immediately gauge if the other players are interested in engaging with you just by their emotes on making your drinks, or them picking up general conversation. When your fishing for roleplay you want things that encourage reactivity between players. 

I would also advice checking the discord for roleplay groups or roleplay events sometimes there are pickup groups run by different sg's or vg's to help you get a feel for how that group plays.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok Maybe I mistyped. it would be more accurate to say Insinuation. it wasn't saying be more open to avenues I found offensive. it was saying "Sounds like a you problem" this directly implies I am to blame for things I had no control over. I've done my best for YEARS always examining if I've been doing something wrong. but the conclusion has been the same for the past 4 years at least. at first, yeah I was doing a few things wrong. but not anymore. that can no longer explain it.

• Thumbs Down 3

8 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

Ok Maybe I mistyped. it would be more accurate to say Insinuation. it wasn't saying be more open to avenues I found offensive. it was saying "Sounds like a you problem" this directly implies I am to blame for things I had no control over. I've done my best for YEARS always examining if I've been doing something wrong. but the conclusion has been the same for the past 4 years at least. at first, yeah I was doing a few things wrong. but not anymore. that can no longer explain it.

Never underestimate the runway-length for personal growth.. as it is potentially non-finite. Don't blame yourself, but if your rp scope is narrow you will face limitations. I am now curious the kind of rp you're looking for. If you eliminate problems with the self, then the question becomes how have you gotten the word out on what you're interested in? Personally, I have no idea what form of rp you're even talking about which is your preference. In essence, you seem to need some advertising. Please do not reply here with answers to my query. Make a new thread. This conversation has drifted from its original purpose to being about your constraints. Feel free to point me at said thread, once complete. I'll at least see if I'm interested.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Whenever a group concept (SG/Clan/Guild) never really hit the mark for me and none of them filled the niche I wanted to play out, I made my own and that seems to happen across my gaming sphere more often than not, I've had good success with it but it's a heavy burden. While leadership isn't for everyone if you desperately want your vision/concept to be represented because no groups currently do it then that's the price to be paid, to literally do it yourself and build up the group of Roleplayers you want to Roleplay with in the theme you wish to enjoy.

No one can take that initiative away from you and it's an option available for anyone to take.

Edited by Latex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Finding another rp'er to interact with feels easier than finding one who wants to rp what we want to rp/how we want to rp/etc. I've found that talking things out ooc can help a lot. 

Also, I've found that rp communities can be a bit too big for me, so I tend to just wander and "listen" in any given rp hub (in CoH, seems like the Pocket D). I get participatory as the situation allows without regard for whether it'll be accepted or even noticed. I've learned that if I get really involved in how I write my rp and stop worrying about whether someone around me finds my rp "acceptable", even those days where I don't get a lot of interaction back, I've managed to entertain myself just fine. If none of the other rp'ers around me noticed, it mattered less. If no one wants to react to my reactions, that's fine too. It means they don't want to rp with me, so I'm cool with not rp'ing with them. I want to rp with the folks that see my attempts and want to make attempts back. 

If you've read anything else I've posted, it's possible you might notice that the first really great SG that I was involved with on CoH was one that I found through a forum post on the official website. I didn't read those often, just to be clear. It was one of those "Let's see what's over here" moments that led me to go to a SG gathering that was announced to/for the public. In SWTOR, I found a guild to be in by complete accident. I discovered that folks were rp'ing on fleet, was hanging out nearby to pay attention to the rp going on around me, and the guy leading the guild I ended up joining engaged -my- character. That guild made it a habit to hang out on fleet in character once a week. No plot to it. It was the night folks who worked at the IC company the guild represented could hang out and just be friendly with their co-workers. I watched that tactic draw in fantastic rp'ers. I watched it draw in some less than fantastic rp'ers too, but one of the predominant rules in that guild was to help other rp'ers be better rp'ers. All anyone had to do was ask. It was...that group became my family. I still hang out with a lot of them in a Discord server used for a private tabletop RP.

I'm not saying it's always that easy to find rp to participate in, but I'm saying that being a willing participant can take us a lot farther if we're willing to put in the effort. And there's no guarantee the effort won't be massive. I haven't been able to rp in months due to RL issues, and it's killing me. I have lost track of the few folks I had been rp'ing with, and my anxiety gets in the way of rp'ing at events or even the Pocket D some days. I don't have the effort it takes to just make a small connection and I can't seem to write at all (even projects I have elsewhere). I also recognize that if there was an easy method that yielded the kind of results that putting that effort into finding someone, I'd probably try that, but I can be realistic enough to understand that not every attempt is going to yield success, especially in finding something of value that is worth my time. I can be patient. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hi-Caliber Solutions

Everlasting Server

On 5/17/2022 at 1:17 PM, ZeeHero said:

If you meet nothing but jerks for 4 years straight...maybe you're the jerk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:54 AM, ZeeHero said:

Sounds like someone who has no idea what they're talking about, and knows absolutely nothing about me, or most people here.

Given I have slightly higher standards than most here, so it seems.

Haha no you don't. You pulled this crap in CO, and I was wondering how long it would be before you pull this BS here. Look, this isn't CO, so please don't repeat similar mistakes like you did with them. I don't RP in CoH much anymore, time and whatnot, but when I do every once in awhile, it's always chill. There's only one group of folks I will never team with on a regular basis, nor RP with, and usually they mess up Mo runs so I kinda hold that against them :P. But, otherwise the RP'ers here are mostly chill.

EDIT: You aren't most people, your opinion isn't -that- important. You are ONE person. I've been with CoH since two years after launch and even -I- don't presume to know everyone here. Your audacity is irritating.

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|