Zone Giant Monsters

After an umpteenth slaying in mere moments of Adamastor the other day, I got wondering if Zone GMs were now too easily defeated with our more seasoned and savvy player base.  I saw this with Malta robots that some Power That Be dropped into Talos Island also, though admittedly it took a bit longer.  Some of the other Zone GMs as well, like the Council Giant War Walker in Boomtown or Jack and Eochai in Croatoa.  

It also seems they're not hitting as hard or often.  Again, maybe that's just because we've reached a level where collectively we can power through anything current.

I enjoy getting a badge and maybe a few merits, but I'd much rather have the satisfaction of a victory powerful, somewhat-longer fight.  I'm just wondering if the zone GMs could be ramped up somehow, more frequent and/or powerful attacks and greater durability in some cases,  possibly with slightly greater rewards as compensation.  Any ideas?  Or perhaps everyone is just satisfied with a quick reward for quick fight?

• Like 1

Well, I mean... type /ah in the the chat box and buy yourself a win. Get as many reds or yellow inspirations as needed (or green, orange, or purples).

I've done the monster mash solo, without inspirations, no Incarnates, all the stuff and I'm of the opinion that Giant Monsters were designed during a time where IOs didn't exist and players needed to team up to overcome a challenge. Newer GMs (think Boomtown Council Warwalker) have new gameplay mechanics to spice it up a little, but it's still a bag of health.

It's still fun though! 😜 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Some of the zone GMs could definitely do with a power boost.  Poor Adamastor is the biggest example.  Every hour or so, he gets summoned just to have his butt kicked, sometimes in a matter of seconds (seriously—I've seen Adamaster get taken down in less than 10 seconds.  Multiple times).  No wonder he's cranky!

The Council War Walker is in the same category: fairly easy to spawn, quick to kill with a halfway decent team. 

Eochai and Jack aren't as big a problem, IMO.  They're easy kills, but since they can't just be summoned every hour, they're at least hard to find sometimes.

Not every GM needs to be Hamidon (which has its own power-creep related issues), but I think it would be fun if Adamastor and the War Walker, at least, were more formidable opponents.  

(Personally, I'd like to see Sally get a stealth buff so that she still disappears if hit even once, but also does 500,000 hp of auto-hit unresistable AoE damage before she does.  My headcanon is that she finally gets fed up with being a punching bag and decides to unleash her true power...)

Edited by Zhym
  • Haha 4

I think they're about right in difficulty for the reward.  Which is to say, they're both too easy, and not worth the trouble of fighting unless.  I think they should buff them and then increase the reward accordingly.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I think a lot of this also has to do with availability of people who want to take the GM out and Leagues.  I mean a few days ago I was on a four person team hitting the Kraken and nobody else and it felt more like it did back in live times.  Then again, I don't remember the GMs spawning as often as they do now.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 5/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, Techwright said:

I enjoy getting a badge and maybe a few merits, but I'd much rather have the satisfaction of a victory powerful, somewhat-longer fight.  I'm just wondering if the zone GMs could be ramped up somehow, more frequent and/or powerful attacks and greater durability in some cases,  possibly with slightly greater rewards as compensation.  Any ideas?  Or perhaps everyone is just satisfied with a quick reward for quick fight?

The solution is very simple, but I don't know how popular it would be. Just solo them when you encounter them. And if you can't solo them, bring out a summons or a lore pet. But if you want a challenge, solo them. Some folks might be a bit fussy because in the case of some GMs, they may spawn more rarely than others. 

Or alternatively - Make a vow to only fight GMs at level 30 or below - as in, nobody over level 30 can join you, or if they do, they're stuck at level 30. Or some other level. You find the gm, tackle it your way. 

On 5/23/2022 at 2:25 PM, Zhym said:

(Personally, I'd like to see Sally get a stealth buff so that she still disappears if hit even once, but also does 500,000 hp of auto-hit unresistable AoE damage before she does.  My headcanon is that she finally gets fed up with being a punching bag and decides to unleash her true power...)

Actually that's not half bad.  Have Sally deliver a massive sonic death howl.  Not something I can recall seeing in game.

• Thumbs Up 1