Ever suggested: Translocation Enhancement Slots?

Has anyone ever suggested getting Translocation Enhancements Slots unlocked after selecting three sorcery powers? I'd like to be able to add Range IO. Maybe a specialty IOS Range set that doubles Translocation's range at Set Bonus 3, and then doubles that at Set Bonus 6?

While i have wanted to put range enhancements into translocation,  that would allow it to be as good or better than teleport after you consider that you also get mystic flight.  The devs did buff translocation from 300 to 350 feet not too long ago and it made the translocation slightly faster then mystic flight instead of slightly slower when fly speed is unenhanced.

And while your suggestion does require heavy investment into sorcery in order to get that benefit,  i dont think there should be any situation where these multi travel powers should be better than their singular equivalents.

IIRC, the original design of the origin pools would automatically grant slots in the 'auxiliary' power at certain levels -- when the Sorcery pool was rolled out, I would see 'an additional slot for Translocation' in the 'what you receive' dialog when training at certain levels. To my knowledge, that feature of the pools was never implemented, and the HC staff eventually found and removed the notification of the additional slot when training. I believe that it was removed because, as the single available origin pool, getting free slots would have made Sorcery a disproportionately advantaged power pool.

4 hours ago, TheZag said:

While i have wanted to put range enhancements into translocation,  that would allow it to be as good or better than teleport after you consider that you also get mystic flight.

There's the converse of that, though, too.  It requires Mystic Flight.  So Translocation ends up eating significantly more Endurance when used as a primary means of travel due to the constant drain of the flight power as well.

I always viewed secondary travel effects like Translocation and Jaunt to be 'bypass area' add-ons to the flight/super speed powers. A way of saying that you push yourself so hard that you can briefly fly or move so fast that anything in the bypassed area doesn't even have a chance to notice you. So in that regard, I am perfectly fine with them not being able to take any enhancements. Even with the requisite power needing to be active with the associated END cost. Because like I said, the character is pushing himself/herself beyond his/her normal limits. (Edit: After all, you are getting 2 travel powers for the price of 1. So no, let's not make translocation enhanceable.)

That said, I am well aware that probably only I view those effects in that way.

Edited by Rudra

If you can slot translocation, it should probably have to be taken as another power pick.  The same holds true, IMO, for jaunt from experimentation or takeoff from force of will;  Them not being able to be slotted is the "price" for them being "free" when you take the root power...

What about allowing Range IOs to be slotted into Mystic Flight, and for Translocation to inherit any enhancement values slotted into Mystic Flight that could also apply to it (Range, Endurance Reduction, Recharge Rate)? The same could be done for Speed of Sound / Jaunt, and Mighty Leap / Takeoff. That way, no extra slots are gained, but if you want to devote slotting to the tray power, you can.

Though I suppose that would make the universal travel sets objectively more efficient than the typed travel sets (why use Celerity when Zephyr will improve Speed of Sound and Jaunt alike), so maybe it's not a perfect idea either.

How about if you want a longer range teleport, you take teleport? It can be enhanced. You are asking to be able to enhance free powers that are not inherent. If Translocation, Jaunt, or Take Off become enhanceable, then they need to no longer be free powers you gain with another power choice. Why should anyone ever bother taking the Teleport, Speed, or Flight pools if they can have both super speed and teleport (and enhance that teleport to be competitive) for a single power pick from Experimentation or flight and teleport (and enhance that teleport to be competitive with Teleport)) from Sorcery for a single power pick?

Edited by Rudra
Edited to Correct Mighty Leap to Take Off, and for consistency.