Energy Melee with Invuln or Willpower?

luficia

Invulnerability is a Defense armor with great resistance but a Psi hole; Willpower is a Heal armor with good defense and resistance, except for Energy.  Invuln wants an audience to buff defense, while Will uses the crowd to buff regeneration.  Ultimately Invulnerability is tougher, but Willpower is a smoother ride.  WP lets you just toggle up and go, while it handles your green and blue bars in the background.

I mained a WP scrapper on live, got him to tier 4 incarnation.  He was a breeze to play until fighting Praetorians, their energy beams cut through me and floored my regeneration.  Then I learned to use IO sets to get energy defense to softcap, and taught them a lesson, too.  As a brute it will be even easier, because the higher max hp will result in bigger regen ticks and your resistances cap higher, so the tier 9 power isn't wasted.

I had an Invuln tanker, and it felt like I had to keep pausing during fights to maintain his blue bar.  As a brute, losing Fury because your endurance is shot sounds even worse.  But better players have run the numbers and the tests, and Invuln is still one of the top sets.

Revamped Energy Melee is one of the best ST sets, which has an interesting interaction with your secondary.  When you're in a mob, your secondary is happiest and you can burn them down one at a time, so it's a gentle slope.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Omega Force said:

Invulnerability is a Defense armor with great resistance but a Psi hole

Minor quibble: Invul has 6 resist powers, 2 defense powers and a permable HP buff.

Counterpoint: It's far more resist than defense and the psi hole becomes a joke when you 6 slot purples. Since Inv's defense scales with the number of enemies around you just as Will's regen does, it has the exact same interaction with Nrg Melee's ST orientation.

Point to Will? No click but the T9.

Point to Invul? It survives when Will doesn't.

Both are inferior to SR which is inferior to Shield.

Enjoy! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Omega Force said:

I had an Invuln tanker, and it felt like I had to keep pausing during fights to maintain his blue bar.  As a brute, losing Fury because your endurance is shot sounds even worse.  But better players have run the numbers and the tests, and Invuln is still one of the top sets.

Invulnerability does not come with tools for regaining endurance so one needs to either pick a damage (or epic) set which does so or choose appropriate enhancements to that end. DM/Inv is an example of addressing endurance issue via damage set. But in theory one could happily go Titan Weapon, pick Energy Mastery as epic, and rely on Superior Conditioning, Physical Perfection, and how they are slotted to get by.

IF YOU HAVE THE INFAMY to blow there is no choice.  Invulnerability stomps Willpower in high end builds.   Sorry.  I mained Willpower for a year or so when it came out.  (It was hard to get in game builds, i played lowbies, and those were the days of no inherent fitness..).  These days it is Invul by a landslide.  Get a Hyperstrike build

2 hours ago, Omega Force said:

True, but Linea often mentions it in the same breath as Shield and SR.  Who am I to argue with him?

Then take MY word for it.  Somebody coined me "The Patron Saint of Invuln".
And doesn't THAT just tickle my fancy.

I tend to refer to Invuln as a hybrid set.
But, realistically speaking, it's primarily a Resist-based set with a couple of Defense powers that give greater flexibility in end-game content.
With no set bonuses and no ancillary powers and max-value Common IOs, Invuln will deliver a fully saturated Defense value of 31.7% to typed.
Non-SL Resist is also 31.7% with S/L coming in at 71.3% (with Psi delivering BUPKISS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

28 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Then take MY word for it.  Somebody coined me "The Patron Saint of Invuln".
And doesn't THAT just tickle my fancy.

I tend to refer to Invuln as a hybrid set.
But, realistically speaking, it's primarily a Resist-based set with a couple of Defense powers that give greater flexibility in end-game content.
With no set bonuses and no ancillary powers and max-value Common IOs, Invuln will deliver a fully saturated Defense value of 31.7% to typed.
Non-SL Resist is also 31.7% with S/L coming in at 71.3% (with Psi delivering BUPKISS.

I use a Hyperstrike derived build on my main a Dark/Invul Brute.  i have Tanked Recluse on him easily in Ms Liberty TF.  I have been put down by Sister Psyche like a whiny 2nd grader as well, but she uses bad words in my head.  Last night I was on a Ms Liberty TF Master attempt.  We had a Tank and the team leader chose them to tank Recluse.  He died.  Fast.  Challenge failed sigh.  I grabbed Recluse and pulled him from the team.  He got a couple good swipes in, I hit Dull Pain.  I tanked him until the team had two towers down no probs.  Hyperstrike is indeed the Patron Saint of Invul.  His builds are bulletproof.  Now I just need Magnetos helmet.  ps, Bio Tank.  We all groaned when we heard it.

• Like 2