Focused Feedback: Stance & Walk Customization

14 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

For those unaware, the run animation used in Parkour/Blitz stance is from the unreleased Freerunning power from the unimplemented Utility Belt Origin Pool. So it existed in the game's files, just unused before we attached it something.

What this means is, unfortunately, we don't have the source files for the animation and it cannot be edited/adjusted other than simply sped up/slowed down. In City of Heroes nearly all files go through a conversion from their original source to the proprietary format used by the game, and without the pre-conversion source files we're limited to using it as it is.

Even with this limitation, we felt it was worthwhile to add as an option for players regardless, since it was just that, an option, and players who don't like the way it looked on their character didn't have to use it.

It's also the reason they use default/ninja weapon movement animations because there were no weapon-holding versions of the run, just like Beast Run, but with sheathed weapons being added in this update, we felt it better to give them alternate runs holding the weapons instead of using the setup of hiding the weapons while moving like Beast Run currently does.

thats actually what I assumed, in fact was going to ask if you had actually created the animations. I have worked on private servers before and reverse engineered stuff but without the specific tools used or even some pointers for decrypting animations it can be an arduous task. That said its not impossible just likely not a worthwhile endeavor.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, Spaghetti Betty said:

I do appreciate the work on new animations. I really do. But something about the new running animation just makes it look really goofy. I'm sorry.

The lining of the pelvis while running looks wrong to me. Instead of leaning into the run, it comes off as this hunched over, "really gotta go to the bathroom" look.

Maybe it's just me.

I agree it looks very hokey.  It seems like it is a strange variation on the weird run that the ghouls use in Praetoria.  Definitely not something I would call "parkour" for sure.  I understand that there is no changing it, so I guess all I can say is yes, it works.  I also wanted to say the Tough walk looks off too.  It seems like you have a load in your pants and are walking a bit funny from it.  The rest all look good to me and work as expected.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, reading above it seems to say that the Blitz run is not designed to hold a weapon; however, when you activate a shield and/or sword, the Blitz run proceeds with the weapon until a certain time has passed or you jump and the animation is reset; at which point, the run goes back to the default. So the movement CAN hold a weapon, it just looks a bit dumb and it doesnt stick. I would honestly be fine with it looking dumb and my character repeatedly stabbing themself in the face if that meant not having the run change jarringly and almost randomly mid-sprint.

When it comes to utilizing the run with the a weapon-based character, I think it should either be 100% on or 100% off. It looks/feels whack to have it turn on and off randomly while in the midst of running with a sword/shield out.

I'm pretty sure based on what Cobalt Arachne said earlier, they can't edit or adjust any of the run animations, so it's probably not going to happen. They're basically proliferating existing full animations to our configured use. It would be nice to get a confirmation of that.

20 minutes ago, Andreah said:

I'm pretty sure based on what Cobalt Arachne said earlier, they can't edit or adjust any of the run animations, so it's probably not going to happen. They're basically proliferating existing full animations to our configured use. It would be nice to get a confirmation of that.

It seems to me that movement animations would have two components. One for running and another for jumping. They may be baked in as one part, but if not, then it may be as simple as pointing the jump animation to a different one.

I haven't been on BETA but is there any change being made to the animations for the HUGE model movement when weapons are drawn (shield out etc)? It looks like someone moving with a stick up their butt. I have always disliked this animation. Maybe I'm alone on this?