The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Gimped Enhancement Sets

Have found while working on one of my Tanks ( Warhorse - Shield/War Mace ) that several of the Orange Enhancement Sets for Melee AoE are rather gimped when it comes to balance. Both Eradication and Obliteration offer only a tiny Endurance Reduction even if you slot the entire 6 enhancements. This means skipping either the Proc or another Set Piece to leave a slot open for an Endurance Reduction IO. Just seems gimped as Eradication 6 slotted only Reduces Endurance by 15.2% and Obliteration by 17.5%. Ouch, kind of defeats the point of installing a set if it is not balanced to cover all the bases. Only noticed it because Shield Defense is bit Toggle heavy to begin with. I know there are other sets available but it seems odd that they are that badly balanced.

Eradication:

Sheild Charge.JPG

Obliteration:

Shatter.JPG

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

It's not so much that they're gimped, but that they provide more recharge at the expense of end reduction. They're better suited to blast set PBAoE nukes that only get used every minute or two. That said, as both sets are over-enhanced for damage, I don't think many would complain if the dmg piece were swapped for dmg/end (damage would drop to 92.8% and end reduction would increase to 45.1%). See below for a comparison of the lvl 50 values for the fully-slotted Melee AoE sets, excluding purple and superior sets.  (Multi-Strike doesn't have a proc and ends up way over-enhanced if you take all 6 pieces.)

Acc Dmg Rech End
Cleaving Blow (4) 53.0% 79.5% 53.0% 26.5%
Multi-Strike 74.2% 121.9% 47.7% 95.4%
Eradication 66.3% 108.7% 92.8% 18.6%
Obliteration 66.3% 108.7% 92.8% 18.6%
Scirocco's Dervish 74.2% 100.7% 53.0% 47.7%
Fury of the Gladiator 66.3% 92.8% 87.5% 61.0%
Avalanche 87.5% 114.0% 58.3% 66.3%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 15.2% and 17.5% Endurance Reduction are on the level 50 version ( Not Boosted but Attuned ) from in game stats, not Mids, and I agree that the Damage being replaced with a Damage/Endurance would probably achieve what I feel would be a more Balanced Set or even lose the Proc and have an in set Endurance Reduction Enhancement. As the only Endurance reduction in either one is a 4 way Enhancement that has Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge. I don't believe that a Melee AoE Damage Enhancement can be used by Blasters for a Nuke, but I don't play Blasters, so I have no knowledge of that, but as a Tank a Melee AoE Power is something you are going to use a lot perhaps even on Auto.

Erad.JPG

Oblit.JPG

Edited by Marine X

Marine X

7 hours ago, Marine X said:

The 15.2% and 17.5% Endurance Reduction are on the level 50 version ( Not Boosted but Attuned ) from in game stats

I just checked in game on two lvl 50 characters. I show 18.5% for the attuned enhancement value from both Eradication and Obliteration. For Eradication, I only receive 15.2% endurance cost reduction because the enhancement scales to lvl 30. For Obliteration, I receive 18.5% endurance cost reduction.

image.png.63e3fab567f2265ef6879490a5eefdce.png image.png.d3677fa097a8300b30d1a84bbbc85849.png

image.png.227d5361cb1544aeb2e2979f244255ea.png image.png.15555e63495478f682228d1325b39ec7.png

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Marine X said:

The 15.2% and 17.5% Endurance Reduction are on the level 50 version ( Not Boosted but Attuned ) from in game stats,

No such thing as level 50 Eradication, the set stops at 30. Attuned versions will show as having level 50 enhancement values when you mouseover them, but it's a lie (bug). When you put them in the power, they only provide level 30 values at most.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I find with these sets, and some others that it would be a big improvement if there were more options. There is, as far as I am aware no reason that there are only 6 Enhancements in any set. If they added a 7th, one could choose the 6 they want to slot to complete the set, and it would make for more Varied Options, especially if the added one was not Damage or Recharge. An Endurance, or Endurance/Accuracy would find a lot of takers in place of one of the existing ones without removing what the Original set offered. Just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marine X

22 hours ago, Marine X said:

I don't believe that a Melee AoE Damage Enhancement can be used by Blasters for a Nuke

Many blaster secondaries include two or more melee attacks, and in most cases at least one of them will be a Melee AoE.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marine X said:

I find with these sets, and some others that it would be a big improvement if there were more options. There is, as far as I am aware no reason that there are only 6 Enhancements in any set. If they added a 7th, one could choose the 6 they want to slot to complete the set, and it would make for more Varied Options, especially if the added one was not Damage or Recharge. An Endurance, or Endurance/Accuracy would find a lot of takers in place of one of the existing ones without removing what the Original set offered. Just a thought.

The reason there are no more than 6 enhancements (and sometimes less) in a set is because you can't have more than 6 enhancements in a power. And to get the set's full benefits, you have to slot all the enhancements.

Edit: And just so you know, your post reads as "I want my preferred set to meet all my needs so I don't have to consider other sets". I'm not saying that is what you are intending to say, just that is how it reads to me.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add "full" and to remove "(up to)".
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rudra said:

"I want my preferred set to meet all my needs so I don't have to consider other sets".

Nope, not at all. Just confused that Endurance Reduction is all but missing from these, and for a 6 Enhancement Set that is Mid Range, that seems odd, Not the Squeaky Wheel. If I was looking for more Damage or Recharge, I could see your point. I will just skip the Proc, and use that Slot for an Endurance Reduction IO, just think the sets should be more balanced so that wouldn't be necessary. No Drama here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marine X

On 7/28/2022 at 10:19 AM, Uun said:

They're better suited to blast set PBAoE nukes

That seems the best explanation of why they are the way they are, never thought about a Blaster using Melee AoE sets, but the Names of the sets hints at that. This particular Tank is unusual for me because he has 5 Melee AoEs, was out of Familiar territory when I selected those sets, but the Endurance Reduction IO seems to be balancing it out. He's at 46, once I get him to 50, I'll take Cardiac for his Alpha and install the Procs as planned, thanks for all the information posted as it helped a great deal.

Marine X

It's probably worth saying that obliteration in particular has the most consistently useful and coherent set bonuses of just about any set in the game. S/l Res, damage, accuracy, recharge and melee defence are all generally useful to any melee character. It is one of my more regularly slotted non-purple sets. Sure, some extra end reduction enhancement would be nice but if I were compiling a list of gimped enhancement sets obliteration would be somewhere near the bottom.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Marine X said:

That seems the best explanation of why they are the way they are, never thought about a Blaster using Melee AoE sets, but the Names of the sets hints at that.

7 of the 14 blast set T9s are PBAoE. That covers not just blasters, but corruptors, defenders and sentinels as well.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, Uun said:

7 of the 14 blast set T9s are PBAoE

I don't know if "Player Based Area of Effect" and "Melee Area of Effect" sets are interchangeable when Slotting them in a power, but I wouldn't think so or they would just refer to them all as one or the other and not have 2 categories, but I've been getting good lately at being wrong. It's a gift.

Marine X

49 minutes ago, Marine X said:

I don't know if "Player Based Area of Effect" and "Melee Area of Effect" sets are interchangeable when Slotting them in a power, but I wouldn't think so or they would just refer to them all as one or the other and not have 2 categories, but I've been getting good lately at being wrong. It's a gift.

There are not 2 categories. PBAoE Damage sets were renamed Melee AoE Damage sets in Issue 27 Page 1.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to say that I think that the purpose of having several sets in a category is to provide diversity.  You want better set bonuses?  Slot Eradication or Obliteration.  You want better endurance reduction?  Slot Multistrike or Scirroco's Dervish.  I'm pretty sure that was the intention from the very start.

• Thanks 2

Who run Bartertown?

13 hours ago, Uun said:

PBAoE Damage sets were renamed Melee AoE Damage sets in Issue 27 Page 1.

Thanks for the information, was not aware of that, which was where I was confused. Like I said before, I really mostly play Melee Characters so it was not something I would easily notice.

Marine X